Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-31-2017, 09:00 PM   #1

Tongue mounted bike rack...recommendations?

So I am considering adding a tongue-mounted bike rack to my Catalina. I was wondering if anybody had any experience with anything other than the Arvika? There doesn't seem to be a lot of options out there.
A2pfunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 09:50 PM   #2
Site Team

Stromberg-Carlson
Up N Front
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 10:05 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
Stromberg-Carlson
Up N Front
Thanks, I had found both of these and was leaning towards the Up n Front due to weight capacity. Do you have any experience with either?
Old 05-31-2017, 10:50 PM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by A2pfunk View Post
Thanks, I had found both of these and was leaning towards the Up n Front due to weight capacity. Do you have any experience with either?
Nope but I would get the S/C because of reviews I've read.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Old 06-01-2017, 06:40 AM   #5

We bought the swagman trailhead 4. Come to find out not all bike racks are intended for RVs since the rear axle is so far away from the bike mount the bumps are exaggerated. This one is RVrated and worked great for us on our last haul
Walte1fr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 07:16 AM   #6

Google "bike bunk". We use that one.

Old 06-01-2017, 12:28 PM   #7

I just got the Jack-it. Worked well with two bikes. Inside bike is a bit of work to get off and keep from hitting the front of the trailer.
wolfe4656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 01:02 PM   #8

I found a bicycle rack from Support Rack out of Canada that fit my needs and my 233S perfectly. It took about an hour to install and is very sturdy and solid. I use a Thule bike rack that fits a standard 2" receiver in addition to the Support Rack. The Support Rack is low enough to clear my bunk in the dropped position, so I only have to remove the Thule rack when camped. That comes in handy when we want to bike a trail that is too far away from the campsite - I use the Thule rack to transport the bikes on my truck hitch receiver.

I'm not sure this place is still in business, I could not find an active website when I just checked. If you're interested I probably still have the guy's email/phone number. I talked to him many times before deciding to purchase. I did find a youtube post that is an animation of how the system is installed.

HTTPS://WWW.YOUTUBE.COM/WATCH?V=PN7DBCC776S
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0555.jpg
Views:	518
Size:	343.8 KB
ID:	139741   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1593.jpg
Views:	411
Size:	365.3 KB
ID:	139742   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1594.jpg
Views:	1029
Size:	452.9 KB
ID:	139743  

2014 Rockwood Roo 233s
2014 Runaway Navigator
2013 GMC Yukon XL
husky family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 01:10 PM   #9

I put the spare tire under the bed storage, and attached a simple bike rack to the tire holder on rear bumper. Then added two dock tie-downs, on each edge of trailer. Used ratchet straps to secure bikes to tie-downs, and stop the bouncing. And probably about the same weight on bumper as the tire was.
Old 06-01-2017, 01:14 PM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by husky family View Post
I found a bicycle rack from Support Rack out of Canada that fit my needs and my 233S perfectly. It took about an hour to install and is very sturdy and solid. I use a Thule bike rack that fits a standard 2" receiver in addition to the Support Rack. The Support Rack is low enough to clear my bunk in the dropped position, so I only have to remove the Thule rack when camped. That comes in handy when we want to bike a trail that is too far away from the campsite - I use the Thule rack to transport the bikes on my truck hitch receiver.

I'm not sure this place is still in business, I could not find an active website when I just checked. If you're interested I probably still have the guy's email/phone number. I talked to him many times before deciding to purchase. I did find a youtube post that is an animation of how the system is installed.

Support Rack, that's the other one I couldn't remember.
Hope they didn't go out of business.
Old 06-01-2017, 02:26 PM   #11

Support Rack

I really like the support rack. It has always worked for me. Over 10,000 miles with the bikes and when I'm not hauling bike I use a cargo rack and haul my generator and gas can.
Tomgky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 02:59 PM   #12

We have a Jack-It with frame that mounts over the electric tongue jack. Got it installed with new Rockwood Mini Lite in March. Works great but I agree that getting off the bike closest to the trailer is a bit tricky. I like being able to see the bikes while driving, more interesting than the blank front wall of the trailer! If you need to access the emergency manual screw for the tongue jack, you take off the bike "tree" and need a longer-than-normal socket setup rather than the wrench that comes with the trailer.
Blog for our trailer trips: www.jackandaprilblog.com
jackconn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 03:21 PM   #13
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomgky View Post
I really like the support rack. It has always worked for me. Over 10,000 miles with the bikes and when I'm not hauling bike I use a cargo rack and haul my generator and gas can.
It appears that they are still in business.

Their website is www.support-rack.com
Old 06-01-2017, 03:31 PM   #14

I have the up-n-front. It is very solid and built in the USA!! Plus it is not bulky and in the way when not in use.
kurtsont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 05:31 PM   #15

Remember, you'll be adding a couple of hundred pounds (or more) to your tongue weight with a front-mounted carrier.
kluza2786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 07:34 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by husky family View Post

I think I like this option the best. Did you have to do any drilling for the installation? I can't get the video to play and the instructions on their website are a broken link. I am hoping that installation is pretty simple.
Old 07-24-2017, 02:21 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
It appears that they are still in business.

Their website is www.support-rack.com
Well, after several emails and calls, it appears they are no longer in business. The "recent reviews" on their website are from 2014. They must've paid for a few years on their website up front...
Old 09-26-2017, 08:27 AM   #18

Unfortunately, I was not able to find a rack that fit my camper because of the length of the tongue and the amount which the front wall curves out.

However, I must say that I was INCREDIBLY impressed by the folks at Up N Front. I contacted them via their website and they got right back to me. They asked for a few pictures and measurements. Dave from the company replied and let me know that their unit probably would not work without the risk of it banging into the front wall of my camper on bumpy rides. I am sure that I probably could have ordered the unit and "made it work" before finding out that it was potentially going to start hitting and causing damage. I was very impressed by the company's honesty and desire to make sure I was happy versus simply making a sale. While it did not work for me, I would highly recommend the company as they are honest and responsive.

Also, I did finally hear back from somebody at Support Rack. After leaving a few messages at the numbers on their site (which only had French voicemail messages), I finally got a call back about 6 weeks later. I was told that they were planning on having some units available soon and would get back to me. Haven't heard back since. They seem like flakes. What is scary is that it appears as though you can still actually place an order on their site which would bill your Paypal. Kind of scary as it seems like they might charge you and leave you hanging for months.

Tags
bike, bike rack, mount