Old 03-21-2014, 06:02 PM   #21
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by avolnek View Post
Fairly confident the addition of the plate alone will be a major improvement!
I think this is a big part of your problem. Remember, that trailer the jet ski is on is also weight and that additional trailer will affect your handling. Also most states it's illegal to tow another trailer behind a travel trailer. 5ers are allowed an additional trailer in some states.

asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 06:37 PM   #22

Quote:
That is my plan... quick and easy. Especially with how the frame is rounded on the corner where it will meet the plate there will be a nice void to fill with the weld, and like you said easy to cut... So my plan will be to stitch/skip weld as you mentioned.

Below are some pics of the plate just laying in position for now. It is in the garage drying from the numerous coats of paint from last night. Should be able to weld it on Saturday some time.

For those asking about shifting weight forward, I have a bunk house model and all that is rearward of my axles is the bunk house, and all that is stored in the bunk house is some towels and blankets, not enough to make a difference...

I do plan to add a second battery after my first trip or two out with just the plate installed.

I want to be able to load the rear kitchen, primarily the fridge, with whatever I want and not worry about it being too light on the tongue. I also tow a single jet ski behind with maybe 50 pounds of tongue weight...

Fairly confident the addition of the plate alone will be a major improvement!
Nice work...

Old 03-21-2014, 06:47 PM   #23
Mod free 5er

Quote:
That is my plan... quick and easy. Especially with how the frame is rounded on the corner where it will meet the plate there will be a nice void to fill with the weld, and like you said easy to cut... So my plan will be to stitch/skip weld as you mentioned...
You're lucky to have been able to have it plasma cut, I would of had to cut it out on my vertical band saw and drill presses which are definitely not made for something that big & heavy.
Old 03-21-2014, 07:22 PM   #24
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
You're lucky to have been able to have it plasma cut, I would of had to cut it out on my vertical band saw and drill presses which are definitely not made for something that big & heavy.
Surpised you don't have three plasma cutters in varying size to cut 1/6" through 12"

TURBS
Sabre owners united!
Old 03-21-2014, 07:58 PM   #25
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
Surpised you don't have three plasma cutters in varying size to cut 1/6" through 12"

TURBS
Sabre owners united!
Naw, I has ter buy me own tools and impurvise if'n I don't got de rat one.
Old 03-24-2014, 08:24 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post

TURBS
Sabre owners united!

Yup!

Grateful for where I work for sure! I have had a number of projects completed with the aid of the lasers we have. We also have 3 break presses, cold saw, band saw and drill presses so I am pretty set with the companies equipment!

TV- 2015 Ram 2500 CCLB 6.7 Cummins 3.42 gears
Camper - 2015 Saber 322BHTS
avolnek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 08:34 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by anaro View Post
I think this is a big part of your problem. Remember, that trailer the jet ski is on is also weight and that additional trailer will affect your handling. Also most states it's illegal to tow another trailer behind a travel trailer. 5ers are allowed an additional trailer in some states.

To be honest, a 500 pound jet ski and trailer isn't going to make much of if any difference on a 10,000 pound trailer...

Just so you are aware many states actually do allow you to tow two bumper pull trailers with length restriction. A few states allow a second trailer behind only behind a 5th wheel and a few states dont allow double towing at all. Most of the no double towing is on the east coast... I have invested a lot of time into researching the concept of double towing and have a lot of experience with trucks, trailers and just about anything with wheels...

Here is a link to provide some truth to my statements...

Towing World Official Website

On a side note, the plate has been painted and welded into place. I have mounted my propane tanks back and my spare tire. I need to drill and tap a few holes for my tool box to house my batteries and I will be golden! Will get an updated picture of that when I am done! (hopefully tomorrow!)

Old 03-24-2014, 08:42 AM   #28
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Yup!

Grateful for where I work for sure! I have had a number of projects completed with the aid of the lasers we have. We also have 3 break presses, cold saw, band saw and drill presses so I am pretty set with the companies equipment!
It's nice to have access to the machinery. When I worked @ IH East Moline, we had a fully equipped Experimental Shop that had everything, including a full time blacksmith. They built new experimental combines from the ground up. We loved having the ability to have "government" jobs completed.
I only have a 4' press brake, 2 vertical floor model drill presses, horizontal band saw, vertical band saw, 9" metal lathe, bead blaster, mig, tig, arc and oxy-acetylene welders in my side of the garage. Now, if I could just get someone that knows how to use the stuff.
Old 03-24-2014, 09:48 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
I only have a 4' press brake, 2 vertical floor model drill presses, horizontal band saw, vertical band saw, 9" metal lathe, bead blaster, mig, tig, arc and oxy-acetylene welders in my side of the garage. Now, if I could just get someone that knows how to use the stuff.

ONLY!?

must be a big garage!

Old 03-24-2014, 10:04 AM   #30
Mod free 5er

Quote:
ONLY!? must be a big garage!
Not really, supposedly it's a 4 car, but they would have to be really small cars. TOWTA's old junker sits on one side with the table saw and planer, bench sanders and my junk occupies the rest of the garage. Also have an 8' bench(storage area) and a 24" x 42" steel welding table and bead roller, parts washer, pedestal grinder, table and 4 chairs on my side.

Tags
weight