Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-29-2012, 05:33 AM   #1
Mod free 5er

Tonneau Cover with 5th wheel

Has anyone built a tonneau cover to use with a 5th wheel? Now that I am having the slider hitch replaced with a stationary one and utilizing the Reese Sidewinder, I plan on building a 2 pc split cover that is easily removed/opened for hitching/unhitching with an attachable cover to fill the hole when not towing. Will probably build it out of 1/4" marine plywood covered in naugahyde. Any ideas out there?
OldCoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 06:05 AM   #2

Go over to the RV-dreams.com web site. The owner of this full timers web site had a custom tonneau cover made for his F450 Ford. There is a picture somewhere on his site. You can probably email him and he will be happy to give you the details.

Our Costs To Go On The Road

ret2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 06:10 AM   #3

Here is the link to the custom tonneau that he had made.
Ford F450 (Including Truck Bed Cover) - Howard Payne's Photos

ret2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 08:16 AM   #4
Now a "Top Member"

Well that's interesting (custom cover). I've had a folding hard cover on my last truck, and my current one. The old one on my '08 was an Extang Tri-Fold (for an 8' F-250, still for sale if you're in the Houston area). I folded bac the first two sections, it strapped down to the front of the cover, and was perfect. I have a BakFlip G2 on my current truck (6 3/4 bed). It folds in 4 sections and only takes about 6" of the front of the bed when fully folded. I can leave the front section down and still tow my 5th wheel. Then flip it back down when not towing and have my covered bed. Both covers are strong enough to sit/stand/walk on and are somewhat secure when the tailgate is locked. I like my covers and will probably always have one in the future.
Retired AF MSgt

I thought I was wrong once, but I was wrong!
EdJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 05:01 PM   #5
Mod free 5er

Tonneau cover

I have a hard Undercover for my 05 Silverado Ext. Cab Short Bed, but will build one with a split in the middle that opens in the rear for hitching/unhitching. Will add pivots to the Undercover rail mounts so I don't have to change everything when I switch back & forth. The Ford 450 is a nice one, but I think they kinda messed up where it buttons to the tailgate. Other than that, they did a bang up good job. Thanks for the reference.
Old 03-08-2012, 04:12 PM   #6

I have a Retrax on my truck.

Retrax

I can completely cover my hitch with the tonneau cover. I have had the cover on my pickup since October 2009 and never had any problems with it. It locks and we have carried furniture on top of the tonneau cover when it doesn't fit in the box. They are very tough. There has been no fade from the sun but I do have a few scratches on it.

Camping 2012: 40 nights
wakamicamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 04:34 PM   #7

Why reinvent what is already invented? There are several companies that make hard covers that can be used with a fifth wheel. Fold-A-Cover for one.
donn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 06:38 PM   #8
Mod free 5er

Have never seen a hard cover that covers the entire bed while hooked to a 5th wheel. The ones I've seen cover from the cab back to the hitch and the remainder of the bed is open. I want to build one that encloses the hitch and covers the entire bed while hooked to a 5th wheel.
Old 03-09-2012, 08:52 AM   #9

Let me rephrase that, the cover slides forward to within a few inches of the neck of the hitch from the trailer. I can lock it in that position and I store a 9.9 Mercury 4 stroke under it against the rear wall of the pickup box forward of the hitch which puts it out of sight while on the road. When the trailer is not attached to the truck, the Retrax tonneau cover slides completely over the hitch in the box and again can be locked. This gives a smooth appearance to the truck and my hitch can't be removed (or stolen) from my truck while in a campground. I never remove my hitch from my truck so a hard lockable tonneau cover was the only way to go.

I also have 2 swing cases at the back of the box up against the sidewalls behind the wheelwells for storage, these are also lockable and can be removed.

Swingcase

The picture of my avatar shows my 12' aluminum boat on the front of my truck. It loads by a winch automatically. This is the web site for that company:

Load My Boat: Custom manufacture of recreational loading systems for vehicles

EIDE in the states also sells a similiar loader.

Hope this helps you.

Camping 2012: 40 nights
wakamicamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 12:55 PM   #10
Mod free 5er

Tonneau cover

Started on the tonneau cover this morning, will post progress pics as it progresses.
Old 03-18-2012, 12:16 PM   #11
Mod free 5er

Tonneau cover

Got the frame work pretty well finished, will go pick up the plywood and start covering the framework. The front section will be semi permanent mounted and the rear section will be removable and somewhat lockable. DW will paint the whole thing black and if it works as intended, will either have it covered with naugahyde or cover it myself.
With the Sidewinder not swiveling at the fifth wheel, I will also attempt to use naugahyde to make a flexible sleeve around the forward portion of the pin box and snap it to the cover to block air from going around the pin box on the sides and rear and under the rear section. That may be the biggest challenge as I will not drill any holes in the pin box and possibly void the warranty. Hopefully will be able to use the existing holes in the pin box and make a clamp of some sort if necessary
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Tonneau Framework 1.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	54.0 KB
ID:	10968   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tonneau Framework 2.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	57.1 KB
ID:	10969   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tonneau Framework 3.jpg
Views:	258
Size:	54.7 KB
ID:	10970   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tonneau Framework 4.jpg
Views:	596
Size:	53.7 KB
ID:	10971  
Old 03-19-2012, 08:23 PM   #12
Mod free 5er

Here are pictures of the tonneau cover in progress. After I design, build and install a flexible to cover from the pinbox down to the cover, DW will paint and we will take the whole rig out for the cover & fifth wheel on their maiden voyage. If the cover works, will either have it covered in black naugahyde or buy the material and cover it myself.

Forest River Forums - dunnnc's Album: Tonneau cover for Fifth Wheel
Old 03-24-2012, 06:21 PM   #13
Mod free 5er

Well, I ended up splitting the rear section right behind the cutout and made a moving cover that hinges on the rear and rides on the wedge on the pinbox. Will take everything on the maiden voyage Mon, 26Mar2012. If the tonneau cover works, I will either have it covered in naugahyde or cover it myself. If it works, it should eliminate air hitting the tailgate. Thinking of a deflector of some sort to funnel the air off the tonneau cover down off the rear of the tailgate in under the trailer.
Old 03-24-2012, 08:00 PM   #14

I work at a parts house and we sell a brand of tonnue covers called truxedo very high quality covers they can make most any configuration that you need all the need is measurements check out their website
j2detroit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 07:24 AM   #15
Mod free 5er

Have not found any manufacturer that makes one that covers the entire bed when towing a fifth wheel. I have an Undercover that covers the entire bed, but didn't want to modify it, so after spending several hrs searching the internet, decided to just fabricate it myself.
Old 03-25-2012, 09:43 AM   #16
Now a "Top Member"

I've been following this thread, but I'm still wondering. What is the goal for this project? I noticed you stated above "it should eliminate air hitting the tailgate", but what is your ultimate goal?
Retired AF MSgt

I thought I was wrong once, but I was wrong!
EdJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 09:49 AM   #17
Mod free 5er

That is the ultimate goal, eliminating the air hitting the tailgate and hopefully get a small benefit in gas mileage as well as discouraging inquisitive minds from tampering with the 5th wheel connections while stopped for meals, shopping etc. Also like to have the bed covered after unhooking at a campground. We spend 1-3 months "snowbirding" in FL and couldn't figure out how to take our Undercover tonneau with us. Just don't like open pickup beds.
Old 03-25-2012, 04:33 PM   #18
Mod free 5er

Ready for the maiden voyage tomorrow morning. Should know before noon how everything works as far as towing with the Reese Sidewinder activated and whether the tonneau cover helps. Will tow back home in 4 or 5 days without the cover and see how that works also, altho' we will never tow without the cover as we usually spend 2 to 3 days traveling to FL without unhooking.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Driver Side Ready for Maiden Voyage.jpg
Views:	429
Size:	37.7 KB
ID:	11250   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pass Side Ready for Maiden Voyage.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	48.1 KB
ID:	11251  
Old 03-25-2012, 07:08 PM   #19

Not trying to be a smart azz but I would think the 12 foot tall shoe box your towing would effect mileage more than air hitting the tailgate... but necessity IS the mother of invention. I've heard of people worrying about folks tampering with hitches while on the road. Does that really happen? I use the pad lock that came with my hitch, but I use it for piece of mind that I ensured the hitch was closed and there's no way I can drop my trailer. Not because I think someone will walk by and pull the handle, is that a real concern?
"PT Crew Member Since 11/2010"
M109Rrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 07:29 PM   #20
Mod free 5er

Understand the 12ft shoe box being a great big mileage determining factor. We have been pulling camping trailers since 1976, so it is not our first rodeo. If the tonneau cover increases the mileage by .5 to 1mpg, at todays prices, it will pay for itself the first trip to FL. We also store a few items under the cover both while towing and when unhitched, and the most important part is I don't like open pickup beds.

Tags
5th wheel