Old 06-12-2012, 03:05 PM   #21

Question

Do these covers have any positive effect on everyday gas milage..?

FreedomTracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 03:14 PM   #22

I used to always say yes......that is untill someone much smarter than i thoroughly dispelled my belief with fancy charts, diagrams, and even a " wind model'......althought the application was not a towing scenario?....possibly diff in that case.....

2012 lacrosse 318bhs touring- sold
ironj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 03:29 PM   #23
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

I have a roll up vinyl cover that velcros down the sides and positive latches at rear.
Three years old and no issues.
I pull a 5er and roll it up when towing and roll it back out when not.
It clears the 5er plate no problem.
Old 06-12-2012, 03:34 PM   #24

Nope. Mythbusters did an episode on this. The only technique that showed an improvement was using a mesh tailgate. Explanations in the link:

Annotated Mythbusters: Episode 64: More Myths Revisited
Old 06-12-2012, 03:49 PM   #25

should have known those guys would have done an episode on that! haha...although i read the link, and they also just tested mileage during "normal" driving...so i am still left to question if the same results would be generated while towing a "sail" of a TT behind the vehicle???...hmm...maybe ill email them!

i mean if two cars can draft off each other and improve mileage, i have to wonder how a tt affects a vehicle and moresoe than that, how a bed cover would play into that??...
Old 06-12-2012, 03:56 PM   #26
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironj
should have known those guys would have done an episode on that! haha...although i read the link, and they also just tested mileage during "normal" driving...so i am still left to question if the same results would be generated while towing a "sail" of a TT behind the vehicle???...hmm...maybe ill email them!

i mean if two cars can draft off each other and improve mileage, i have to wonder how a tt affects a vehicle and moresoe than that, how a bed cover would play into that??...
It would help the guy right on your tt bumper but not you.
Old 06-12-2012, 04:16 PM   #27

why not?...i admit my drafting experience is limited while towing while racing my fellow campers (lol) but why would not the same theroy that allows the high pressure air from the front of a nascar or other "drafter" to push higher pressure air foward on the lead vehicle not apply?.....lack of spoiler? not enough speed? i honestly dont know....??

and im still on the fence as to the benefit or not of a bed cover while in a towing situation....aerodynamics are complicated.....and my studies were in biochemistry...LOL

in the end i imagine that any benefit, if there even is one, is probably miniscule at best! Thats my theory and im sticking to it!
Old 06-12-2012, 04:34 PM   #28
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironj
why not?...i admit my drafting experience is limited while towing while racing my fellow campers (lol) but why would not the same theroy that allows the high pressure air from the front of a nascar or other "drafter" to push higher pressure air foward on the lead vehicle not apply?.....lack of spoiler? not enough speed? i honestly dont know....??

and im still on the fence as to the benefit or not of a bed cover while in a towing situation....aerodynamics are complicated.....and my studies were in biochemistry...LOL

in the end i imagine that any benefit, if there even is one, is probably miniscule at best! Thats my theory and im sticking to it!
Look over the cab of you tv roof from the front and if you see a big white tt sticking up in the air higher than your cab you just seen the bigist hole in your theory.
Ever heard of a high low camper?
Now that might have a chance.
Anytime you tow anything that sticks out further than the tv punching the hole in the air you have drag.
A bed cover won't make a difference.
Old 06-12-2012, 04:35 PM   #29

Access Roll-Up Cover Rack Combo

have one of these .. although i can see it not being great for a 5er, it does have its advantages when not pulling. i pull an Aframe A122, and use the rack system to bring along my canoe, or bikes when the need be.
very well engineered, easy on and off... and the racks store up in the rafters of my garage.

Tonneau is still in great shape, never adjusted after 4 years. Treat it with 303 and it will probably be your friend for life .

d-mo
Old 06-12-2012, 04:50 PM   #30
Another rat in the race

I have a Tonno Pro and it works great vinyl with a metal frame and folds into 1/3s and latches at the front. Best part is its light weight and I can get it on or off by myself in less than 5 minutes. No really.

for gas mileage I don't notice a difference, but to be fare my truck gets 10 mpg all the time no matter what. Every now and then I get 14mpg if I drive the whole tank on the freeway with no large trailer and cruise control the whole time, cover or no cover.

But from the engineering stand point. The "bubble" of circulating air in an empty bed would help get the wind up and over the TT but anything in the bed or a 5th would disturb the bubble. I don't think the gas mileage would be increased by much anyway, maybe even not enough to measure outside of a lab.

Tags
led pad