Old 06-12-2012, 06:02 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
Look over the cab of you tv roof from the front and if you see a big white tt sticking up in the air higher than your cab you just seen the bigist hole in your theory.
Ever heard of a high low camper?
Now that might have a chance.
Anytime you tow anything that sticks out further than the tv punching the hole in the air you have drag.
A bed cover won't make a difference.
this is totally off topic now, so i will refrain from a lengthy reply regarding a topic that i admit i know only a little about. I see your point fully and agree, the TT his a giant "drag" however the laws of physics relating to drag also must be applied to the bed cover which by definition must have an impact on the drag coefficient vs an open bed??? i think?? LOL... but i have been wrong on more occasions than i care to admit..(dont tell my wife or my clients that )

as such, i have fowarded my inquiry to one of my friends over at the Texas Tech Wind Science and Engineering Dept. Perhaps when they quit laughing at me, they will be able to explain to me exactly why i am wrong using a bunch of neat diagrams and newtonian laws LOL.... I will post up the details if/when i hear back!...

2012 lacrosse 318bhs touring- sold
ironj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 06:05 PM   #32
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Let us know!

Old 06-12-2012, 07:00 PM   #33
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironj View Post
this is totally off topic now, so i will refrain from a lengthy reply regarding a topic that i admit i know only a little about. I see your point fully and agree, the TT his a giant "drag" however the laws of physics relating to drag also must be applied to the bed cover which by definition must have an impact on the drag coefficient vs an open bed??? i think?? LOL... but i have been wrong on more occasions than i care to admit..(don't tell my wife or my clients that )

as such, i have forwarded my inquiry to one of my friends over at the Texas Tech Wind Science and Engineering Dept. Perhaps when they quit laughing at me, they will be able to explain to me exactly why i am wrong using a bunch of neat diagrams and Newtonian laws LOL.... I will post up the details if/when i hear back!...

If no one else cares; I for one, would love to hear what they say. (PM me unless there are charts and stuff) In that case PM me for my email address.

I personally was willing to accept the MythBuster findings.

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 07:07 PM   #34

i have a roll up vinyl covered corrugated aluminum. i bought it from JC Whitney in 2002 and installed it. no problems yet. mine uses clamps to hold it to the bed...no holes in top bed rail.
some have to consider freeze problems. i don't have that problem. the real case is drained thru the bed.
10yrs later, no cracks, a little faiding of metal painted parts. only thing that has happened is one rubber stop that keeps the cover from going into the real cover came off.

i wanted one retractable that could be removed (if one day i want to sell the truck) w/o showing holes in the bed.
Old 06-12-2012, 07:12 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
I have a roll up vinyl cover that velcros down the sides and positive latches at rear.
Three years old and no issues.
I pull a 5er and roll it up when towing and roll it back out when not.
It clears the 5er plate no problem.
I have this style now too.

I have had hard covers and LEER hard caps on my pickups. My "Access Roll-Up Cover" that I have now is my favorite.

Looks nice and rolls up quickly and out of the way to carry anything I need.

Mad4sax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 07:19 PM   #36
Now a "Top Member"

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreedomTracker View Post
Do these covers have any positive effect on everyday gas milage..?
One guy over on the Ford site actually reported worse mileage with his tonneau cover on while pulling his trailer. Dramatically worse mileage. I never noticed a big drop, but I never got any gains either. Any difference will likely be very negligible in real world experiences.
Ride-Rite Airbags and Airlift wireless remote compressor...nice!

I thought I was wrong once, but I was wrong!
EdJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 09:43 PM   #37
Grape Escape

Bakflip

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdJunior View Post
I have the BakFlip G2 on mine. It has 4 folding sections and folds up against the windshield to give you access to almost all bed. I fold up 3 times with the 5th wheel connected and it does fine. I have also driven with it folded up to the windshield, and had no problems. It works fine. I had the Xtang tri-fold on my 8' bed and it worked great as well. Still trying to sell it if anyone needs one.
Same here Bakflip
44 for 2011, 38 for 2012, 35 for 2013, 51 for 2014
dezolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 10:06 PM   #38
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdJunior View Post
One guy over on the Ford site actually reported worse mileage with his tonneau cover on while pulling his trailer. Dramatically worse mileage. I never noticed a big drop, but I never got any gains either. Any difference will likely be very negligible in real world experiences.
I think the guy on the Ford site had been drinking adult beverages or smoking wacky tobaccy. No logical reason can be made for dropping mileage. I can see no change, but not a drop, it defies logic and the laws of aerodynamics.
Old 06-12-2012, 10:10 PM   #39

Send a message via Skype™ to weiman1983
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-mo
Access Roll-Up Cover Rack Combo

have one of these .. although i can see it not being great for a 5er, it does have its advantages when not pulling. i pull an Aframe A122, and use the rack system to bring along my canoe, or bikes when the need be.
very well engineered, easy on and off... and the racks store up in the rafters of my garage.

Tonneau is still in great shape, never adjusted after 4 years. Treat it with 303 and it will probably be your friend for life .

d-mo
X2
Old 06-12-2012, 11:35 PM   #40
Site Team

Check out this rolltop. Engineering excellence.

RetraxPRO | Retrax

1969 John Deere 1020, 1940 Ford 9N, 1948 Ford 8N
Jonsered 535, Can of WD-40, Duct Tape
Red Green coffee mugs
acadianbob is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
led pad