Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-14-2017, 07:16 PM   #1

Top bunk removal ( coffin), shelf made with bunk material

I did the whole summer in the camper with the kiddos.. Even disney.. The 17 year old only comes on major trips now.. The 10 year old will be with us for a while..

I even had 8 people in this camper, daughetr , son in law, two grand kids, wife and two sons..

It was packed, but hey, its only sleeping right? Its amazing a small trailer like this sleeps 8.. Heck we could of put the 10 year old with us and fit two more im sure...

That's what camping and families are about right...

Anyway.. I decided to remove the top bunk... I could not fathom the kids sleeping up there.. I mean maybe if it had a window but it did not... And they could of lowered the bottom bunk some and gave more space instead of what it was..

So here are pics of my mode... I should have documented it better with video but I dont have time for all that... There was only one site online where I got the idea from... Mine was a bit easy as I took the plywood out the placement of the stringers was perfect...

Cut here and there and kept the bottom luan in take and all trim pieces..

My wife says I should work in the RV industry.... LOL.. Anyway Im a plumber not a carpenter but I think it turned out pretty good...

Im sorry I only got before and after pics. And final pics after staining.

Light was easy to move as it cam from side wall/wires...

Future is to add an outlet to the self area for fans, heaters, computer charging, etc etc.

Now I have room there for a hamper, kids bins/clothes, etc

All I bought was the pine trip face piece... 8 ft, and a longer piece of 2x2 pine to make the back shelf.

Oh... Now did I just devalue my 2018 camper?lolol ha ha.. Maybe a tough resell now or trade in down the road?

2020 Ram 1500 classic 5.7l hemi 3:21 rear 8 speed
2019 Palimino XLE 24 RD
Lawrosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 09:01 PM   #2

Nice work, I removed my top bunk too, but wanted to do something similar. It's a good idea
howellma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 09:05 PM   #3

That looks great! Have you maybe considered putting a cabinet up there? Jay
Jay2504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 09:37 PM   #4

I like the open space... If I did a cabinet there be know room maybe for a small tv for the kids to watch at night..

I just finished it today...lol so when the camping season comes we will see how it goes..

Like I said perfect for a laundry basket, and bins for extra clothes...

Ya know small cabinets may look nice along the top... Hmmmmmmm
2019 Palimino XLE 24 RD
Old 12-14-2017, 10:10 PM   #5
Scoundrel

Nice work!

Wooden Spoon Survivor
HangDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 11:08 AM   #6

I did the same thing in my old camper, really helped with the claustrophobia I had trying to sleep in the lower bunk. I used the top for my little doggies kennel and my duffel bag.

Yours turned out nicer than mine, I didn't have the little shelf along the exterior wall, nice touch.

2016 Clipper 17RD
2011 Silverado
gwolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 02:47 PM   #7

Very nice. Planning and dreaming and hoping for the next coach in 8-10 years. I would not turn down a bunk model if the price were right, but I don't need bunks but storage space. How dis you cut the bunk out? I am Mr. Don't have the right tool. Often would not recognize the right tool if I saw it. Maybe not quite that bad.
AbdRahim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 02:54 PM   #8

Looks like it came that way. Nice work!
wannabeowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 03:04 PM   #9

neat idea, great results,

fella10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 03:46 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbdRahim View Post
Very nice. Planning and dreaming and hoping for the next coach in 8-10 years. I would not turn down a bunk model if the price were right, but I don't need bunks but storage space. How dis you cut the bunk out? I am Mr. Don't have the right tool. Often would not recognize the right tool if I saw it. Maybe not quite that bad.

Well I didnt want to take the whole frame out and build from scratch.. Also the underneath luan..

The plywood on top was split in two already... I guess thats how they get it in there.. ( two separate plywood halfs)So once I took out the two pieces of plywood, you can see the framing and luan under..

That back cross piece you see I left there... The rail in the inside wall had to be cut out to that point.. I simply used a sawzall carefully to cut flush with that back cross piece.. And fit a sawzall to cut out the screw that heald it in place.. ( They screwed it from the inside of the wall when the trailer walls had no luan)

Then the piece along the foot end of bunk I removed and cut to my outside wall shelf length I wanted. I screwed that back in place.. Then I added a 2x2 from that foot end to the back cross piece to complete the side shelf on window side you see.

Now I still had the full luan on bottom still intact... Hmmmmm

But now that the top framing was complete I first took a big swatch out of the luan with my sawzall with a fine metal blade..

Now I can stand in the bottom bunk..

All I did from that point is used the sawzall to follow my framing to cut the luan out from there.. ( I never removed the bottom luan just cut inplace to my framing)

Then simply attached 1x3? pine as a facia to the 2x2's.

Then I simply used the plywood that came out and cut to size and put back in on top...

screwed it all together and stained it...Stained plywood too..

My vision came from this guys site here.. The only place I was able to find what I had envisioned in my head...

His was too much for me, and i was just happy with what I got... But his looks nice too..

See here

http://eplumer.blogspot.com/2013/02/...-makeover.html
2019 Palimino XLE 24 RD
Old 12-15-2017, 03:59 PM   #11

2019 Palimino XLE 24 RD
Old 01-19-2018, 09:50 AM   #12
Ben f

Great work!