Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-07-2013, 03:44 PM   #1
jlf

Towel Bar in silverback 33 RL

This was one of the first things we noticed when we were shopping for our Silverback 33 RL. There wasn't a shower bar in the bathroom. My saleslady called FR and they approved the bar. When we returned to pick up the RV, no towel bar. So we waited for over a day to learn that the small hand towel ring next to the sink is the towel bar. I have tried the over door bars and hooks,they do not work. Other than hanging towel over the shower door, which I hate, does anyone have a suggestion. Thanx
jlf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 04:05 PM   #2
Always Learning

Buy a towel bar from Home Depot and install it where you want.
Old 10-07-2013, 04:27 PM   #3

With our trailer, we were happy the towel bars, rings and TP holder weren't installed. What they provided were polished chrome and the rest of the fixtures were brushed nickel. My analness would not allow me to handle the discrepancy in finish.

We purchased brushed nickel stuff and installed it ourselves.
bradnailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 04:42 PM   #4

Get a stud finder and an adjustable length towel bar and go for it. You're best to screw the towel bar holders directly into the studs may they be wood or aluminum. It's a bit of detective work finding the studs, but well worth the effort. I recently installed a stairwell grab rail in the side-isle of The Beast to help this ol' boy navigate the stairs in the early am hours. It was long overdue.
1986 Marriage to "Wifey" (patience of a saint)
rattleNsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 10:56 PM   #5
jlf

Thank you everyone for the great suggestions. I wasnt even thinking about on the wall. Our old Fleetwood had the towel bars on the shower door. This is where we were trying to get it installed. But I have learned that Forest River no longer installs the towel bars on the shower door. Does anyone know for sure if the shower doors are glass? I tried to put suction cups on the door won't stick of course.
Old 10-07-2013, 11:00 PM   #6
jlf

Quote:
Originally Posted by rattleNsmoke View Post
Get a stud finder and an adjustable length towel bar and go for it. You're best to screw the towel bar holders directly into the studs may they be wood or aluminum. It's a bit of detective work finding the studs, but well worth the effort. I recently installed a stairwell grab rail in the side-isle of The Beast to help this ol' boy navigate the stairs in the early am hours. It was long overdue.
I want my hubby to add the grab bar next to the steps. Since I will be on crutches for the rest of my life, it will be very beneficial
Old 10-08-2013, 09:27 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
Buy a towel bar from Home Depot and install it where you want.
Just make sure that there is "beef" in the wall or wherever you screw the bar onto. Otherwise the screws will not hold!
Flying dutchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 10:23 AM   #8
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlf View Post
I want my hubby to add the grab bar next to the steps. Since I will be on crutches for the rest of my life, it will be very beneficial
I had our dealer install a nice wood grab bar or assist handle on the left wall (as you are going up the stairs) in our Silverback FW.

I envisioned it run lengthwise (parallel with the ceiling), but they installed it vertically and after getting used to it, I found it to be more easy to grab onto.
B47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 03:47 PM   #9

Towel Ring first. I hated it in my Cedar Creek 36CKTS.

Here's Before:

After:

If you go to forestriverinc.com and find the floor plan for Cedar Creek 36CKTS.

Then take the virtual tour of the bathroom and you'll see a towel bar mounted under the medicine cabinate above the toilet.

After looking at the virtual tour of your 33RL it looks like you should be able to mount a similar towel bar.

C.B.

PS After looking at more pic's of the bathroom in your 33RL you might even be able to mount a towel bar off the bottom of the medicine cabinate.
cbvp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 03:59 PM   #10
itch'n to road trip

Send a message via AIM to campnqueen Send a message via MSN to campnqueen Send a message via Yahoo to campnqueen
I purchaed an over the door towel rack from Kmat... was cheap to start... had "ship to store" for free... AND only cost me $3.45 becasue I had shopping points!! Whhhoooo wooot!

Essential Home EH OVER THE DOOR TOWEL RACK 4385 CHR/D - Bed & Bath - Shower Curtains & Accessories - Bath Accessories
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	spin_prod_801745412.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	52.1 KB
ID:	40795  

2012 Ford F-250 King Ranch Super Crew Cab 4x4
2014 Work & Play 25ULA
Paula Drake, Ken Cooksey, Sunny Delight, Valor & Scarlet Begonia
Jasper Ga.
campnqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 05:15 PM   #11

There may be a glitch with an 'over the door' towel holder IF the door is a pocket door like my 34SATS or if it has a mirror.
Old 10-08-2013, 11:01 PM   #12
jlf

Towel Bar in silverback 33 rl

Yes our's has the pocket door. My hubby took the pocket door off. We put a single hook in the middle of the door. He then put door back on. Now when the door slides back, the "stoppers" on top of pocket door keeps the hook from falling off. Only use this hook to hang clothes while showering. Wouldnt like putting a large, over the door bar to hang the towel. I think the towel would be in the way while you are on the "throne" Its bad enough the toilet roll holder is attached to pocket door. Dont get me wrong, i love having a "bathroom". Our last one had the shower in bedroom and a closet for the toilet. So this is paradise. Believe me, if we could have afforded the 36 Re we would have gotten it. But for now, this has been our only issue. So if this ends up being our only issue, we will be happy
Old 10-08-2013, 11:03 PM   #13
jlf

Thank you everyone for the great ideas. It really has me thinking. Does anyone know what the shower door is made of? Is it glass or another product?
Old 10-09-2013, 08:34 AM   #14

Mine in the CC is glass. Not sure about yours. Give it the 'diamond' test.... Can't you move the toilet paper holder to the pocket door wall? It seems to be a dumb place to mount the holder, right on a movable door.
Old 10-09-2013, 11:52 AM   #15
jlf

Towel bar in Silverback 33rl

Having the TP holder on the door is not as bad as it sounds. They couldn't put it on the wall next to the door,because there isn't any wall. It is the second half of the pocket door. The TP holder is attached to the pocket door that slides back and forth. When the door is open, the TP holder is almost behind the toilet. When the door is closed, the TP holder ends up about arms length in "front". Does this make since? I thought I was going to have a problem with it, but it is fine. It actually puts the TP holder out of the way. Next time we are in Ocala, I will take a picture.
Old 10-09-2013, 05:50 PM   #16

I understand. If it works that's the important thing.
Old 10-09-2013, 05:56 PM   #17
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by B47 View Post
I had our dealer install a nice wood grab bar or assist handle on the left wall (as you are going up the stairs) in our Silverback FW.

I envisioned it run lengthwise (parallel with the ceiling), but they installed it vertically and after getting used to it, I found it to be more easy to grab onto.
Made my own much to TOWTA's dismay, but after using it during the last 5-6 week trip, she agrees it is very handy and apologized for giving me grief about it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	New Handrail 1.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	45.4 KB
ID:	40872   Click image for larger version

Name:	New Handrail 2.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	40.9 KB
ID:	40873   Click image for larger version

Name:	New Handrail.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	46.5 KB
ID:	40874  
Old 10-09-2013, 06:40 PM   #18
Always Learning

I like it, OC. I believe the Sabres are doing something similar in the current iterations of my model.
Old 10-09-2013, 06:46 PM   #19
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
I like it, OC. I believe the Sabres are doing something similar in the current iterations of my model.
Thanks
Old 10-11-2013, 12:11 PM   #20

We use two tension shower curtain rods for bath towel bars. One over the sink, under the medicine cabinet, and one over the vanity and comode. Easy up and down with no wall damage.

Don and Laura + Roo
Chesapeake, VA
VAlover is offline   Reply With Quote