Old 07-20-2010, 04:22 PM   #1

Towing question

Not sure if this is the proper place to ask... but....how do i know if I need an Equalizer/sway bar for my 233s Shamrock? I will be towing it with a 2500HD GMC Sierra. Is there really a need for such a hitch considering the length of this HTT behind that size of truck??

Old 07-20-2010, 04:35 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

With that sized truck, you might get away without 1. But if it were me, I would still use 1.

That Shamrock has a listed tongue weight of 565 lbs.....about the same for my SV 263. Loaded for camping, my tongue weight is around 700 lbs. Without a WDH, that weight takes about 300 lbs. off my front axle, and adds 1000 lbs. to the back axle. A 2500 should be able to handle that weight OK, but you will be upsetting the balance of the truck somewhat by taking that weight off of the front axle. I betcha without a WDH the back of the truck will sag some.

Another item if you decide to pull without a WDH is the hitch rating. On my F150, the hitch is rated for 500 lbs. weight carrying tongue weight, but add a WDH and it is rated for 990 lbs. If you decide to tow your trailer without a WDH, make sure the hitch is rated to carry the tongue weight of your Shamrock.

Even with a 24 foot trailer, I would still recommend some type of anti-sway system. Even with a heavy truck like yours, the wind can still push you around.

Your total towing experience will probably be much better if you use a WDH and a sway system.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 04:38 PM   #3

Thanks!!!

I believe I will feel better having one than not.

Do you recommend the Equalizer? Or is there a better alternative???
Old 07-20-2010, 04:41 PM   #4

OH...and...the anti sway....is it not a part of what the Equalizer does? Or is there a completely seperate device for anti sway???
Old 07-20-2010, 05:13 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

I use the Reese Straight Line (dual cam) setup, but either that or the Equalizer would serve you well. Sway control is integrated into both of those setups.

Then you gotta figure out what size spring bars to use. Probably 800 to 1000 lbs. should do it. Too stiff of bars, and you can feel the hard bounce, and too light of bars won't give you good weight distributing. I have 800 lb. bars for my 700 lb. tongue weight, and feel that is maxed out. initially setting up with the 800 lb. bars I couldn't get the lift I wanted, so I bought 1200 lb. bars......but they were too stiff. I went back to the 800 lb. bars and tweaked my setup some, and now have the weight distributing that I need......I should have played around with the 800 lb. bars before spending the extra money on the 1200s.

Old 07-20-2010, 05:18 PM   #6

You're a gem....thanks!
Old 07-20-2010, 05:43 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

You are welcome.

Others might chime in and give you their take on things......and that is always a good thing so that you can see different opinions, and make your decision from all of the ideas brought up.

Old 07-20-2010, 05:53 PM   #8
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by drvol View Post
OH...and...the anti sway....is it not a part of what the Equalizer does? Or is there a completely seperate device for anti sway???
The Equilizer has built in sway bars. I really liked mine. They are a bit noisy when new but they break in fine. Make sure you use the correct lube (Lithium Grease) in the bars sockets or they REALLY talk to you in turns.

http://travel.webshots.com/photo/210...u?vhost=travel

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 09:06 AM   #9

We are looking at purchasing the same Shamrock 233s - So I'm guessing we will need equalizers to tow it with our 2007 Nissan Aramada? Was hoping we could get away without having to buy them.
Old 01-15-2014, 09:14 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by befink View Post
We are looking at purchasing the same Shamrock 233s - So I'm guessing we will need equalizers to tow it with our 2007 Nissan Aramada? Was hoping we could get away without having to buy them.
Most definitely you will need a weight distributing hitch with an Armada.

Also, check out the weight carrying capacities on the Armada receiver hitch. There should be a sticker somewhere on the receiver with those stats.