Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-20-2019, 12:13 PM   #1

TPMS...what do your numbers look like?

Playing around with a TPMS on my hybrid based primarily on recommendations from the forum. Tried one out this last trip and things worked well I believe. Not sure what type of fluctuations I should be seeing though. I have brand new Goodyear Endurance tires, inflated to 65psi. During our trip they went up to about 70-71 psi over a 150+ miles. Seem normal? Also, what about tire temp? It was warmer coming home, about 80+ degrees and tires all ran about 90 or so. I thought everything was working great, but I don't know what is normal or abnormal behavior regarding the monitors. Any feedback would be appreciated.

m
hybridlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 06:32 PM   #2

That is very normal. I have used a TPMS for several years on my 5th wheel toy hauler. My tires go up about 10% from cold inflation on average in the summer time. When I had load range G tires set at 80lbs cold...they would increase to 88-90 when hot...and around 90 degrees temp. I upgraded to Load range F tires which set cold to 95 psi...they go up to about 105 when hot. My truck tires do the very same.

There is a great web site/blog hosted by Roger Marble www.rvtiresafety.net you should check out. Roger was a tire engineer for over 40 years and there is a ton of great information on his site. Very educational in many ways.
RockyMtnMarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 06:54 PM   #3
Site Team

The documentation that came with your TPMS should set expectations for increase in temp. & pressure.

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 07:26 PM   #4

Your pressure numbers seem right. I don’t put a lot of stock in the temp reading. It is influenced by which side is to the sun, the outside temp, etc. some even say the TV exhaust will influence the temp. I would be concerned though if one was way higher than the rest. I just don’t depend on the temp to be correct but just a relative reference from tire to tire.

2016 Siverback 33IK, Towed 50K+ mile
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L V8 Diesel 4WD Crew Cab

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 08:01 PM   #5

The hot sun actually raises the pressure more than friction from driving. Don’t overthink the display. Just listen for an audible warning and otherwise ignore it.
My17Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 08:41 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by My17Ram View Post
The hot sun actually raises the pressure more than friction from driving. Don’t overthink the display. Just listen for an audible warning and otherwise ignore it.
I disagree. May as just keep it in your pocket. You want to ‘monitor’ your tires just like you monitor your speed, oil pressure, etc. Don’t dwell on it but glance at it occasionally. The tires will track each other. They will all trend up or down in pressure and temperatures. If one starts to buck the trend that is what you want to catch. Pull over as soon as safe and see why the tire is acting the way it is.

I had a friend who had one tire temperature rising a lot higher than the other 3. He was scratching his head wonder if his TPMS was giving him a false reading. He decided he needed to pull over but not soon enough. The tire separated and did lots of damage to his RV. He told me he had several minutes to respond but hesitated.

So monitor it so you can catch a problem tire before it causes you a lot of damage. Most of the time though if your going to have a tire separation the TPMS will not save you.

Old 04-20-2019, 10:30 PM   #7

Maybe I shouldn’t say ignore it but of all the other things to pay attention to, continually Glancing at a display ghat never changes seems pretty redundant. In the bright sun you can’t see the numbers anyway.
Old 04-20-2019, 10:40 PM   #8

Quote:
Maybe I shouldn’t say ignore it but of all the other things to pay attention to, continually Glancing at a display ghat never changes seems pretty redundant. In the bright sun you can’t see the numbers anyway.
Does your oil pressure ever change? How about engine temp? No typically but you still monitor them and hope they don’t change. Same with the TPMS. You hope it does not change but you want to use it to your advantage if it does, if you wait for an alarm to go off there is a chance that a tire steel belts have been damaged due to sidewall flexing due to under pressure.

I’m not sure what TPMS you have but I have no problem seeing mine in the bright sun.

Like I said, if your not going to monitor it, put it in your pocket and wait for the alarm to go off...

Old 04-21-2019, 05:37 AM   #9

TST507 color monitor. Of course I’m aware of the pressure/temp readings. “Monitor oil pressure” in a modern vehicle? You must be doing an awful lot of “monitoring”, my friend. Safe travels!
Old 04-21-2019, 06:23 AM   #10

Those readings are totally normal and like mentioned above, temp readings will vary based on which tires are in the sun or shade.
Curt Trutrack WDH
HD Roadmaster Active Suspension
3200 Firman Generator/Inverter
njfishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 12:56 PM   #11

Quote:
TST507 color monitor. Of course I’m aware of the pressure/temp readings. “Monitor oil pressure” in a modern vehicle? You must be doing an awful lot of “monitoring”, my friend. Safe travels!
I do monitor, my friend. I’m not sure if it as awful lot but driving 6+ hours I’m kinda captured behind those gauges the whole time. May as well glance at them.

I don’t know, its been a while since Ive owned a Dodge product but I though the older units had oil pressure gauges. I guess in the the new ‘modern’ Rams they have just installed a light. Safe travels to you too...

Old 04-21-2019, 01:15 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalford View Post
I do monitor, my friend. I’m not sure if it as awful lot but driving 6+ hours I’m kinda captured behind those gauges the whole time. May as well glance at them.

I don’t know, its been a while since Ive owned a Dodge product but I though the older units had oil pressure gauges. I guess in the the new ‘modern’ Rams they have just installed a light. Safe travels to you too...
No light. It isn’t 1978 anymore. Digital displays and graphs. Plenty of warnings of impending engine problems without having to stare at gauges constantly.
Old 04-21-2019, 01:42 PM   #13

Quote:
No light. It isn’t 1978 anymore. Digital displays and graphs. Plenty of warnings of impending engine problems without having to stare at gauges constantly.
Ok, ok, I give but every time you slip up and actually look at a gauge, I want you to think of me. You will never look at you gauges in the same way again..lol

Old 04-21-2019, 04:11 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfeeley View Post
Playing around with a TPMS on my hybrid based primarily on recommendations from the forum. Tried one out this last trip and things worked well I believe. Not sure what type of fluctuations I should be seeing though. I have brand new Goodyear Endurance tires, inflated to 65psi. During our trip they went up to about 70-71 psi over a 150+ miles. Seem normal? Also, what about tire temp? It was warmer coming home, about 80+ degrees and tires all ran about 90 or so. I thought everything was working great, but I don't know what is normal or abnormal behavior regarding the monitors. Any feedback would be appreciated.

m
I also have the Goodyear Endurance tires. I find the tempurate runs about 10 degrees or so over the outside temp. Which side the sun is on raises it a few degrees more. I find my PSI goes up 7-8. Although I don't think the TPMS is completely accurate, it does show trends. If all the tires are roughly the same and all of a sudden one is trending differently, time to stop and check it out.
Old 04-21-2019, 08:49 PM   #15

I have different tires but use a TPMS. I have a fifth wheel with two axles and the cold tire pressures run 80 PSI. I don't worry so much about temperature or pressure rise. I look for consistency of change between all four tires. If one side is in sun light the pressure and temperature of the tires on that side may rise a couple of PSI or two or three degrees more than the tires on the side in the shade. Regardless, I have found that the pressures of all four tires are usually within 1 to 3 PSI of each other and about 3 to 4 degrees (F) of each other. If one tire was suddenly different in pressure or temperature than the other three, I would be concerned.
free83118 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tpms