Old 04-20-2019, 12:13 PM   #1

TPMS...what do your numbers look like?

Playing around with a TPMS on my hybrid based primarily on recommendations from the forum. Tried one out this last trip and things worked well I believe. Not sure what type of fluctuations I should be seeing though. I have brand new Goodyear Endurance tires, inflated to 65psi. During our trip they went up to about 70-71 psi over a 150+ miles. Seem normal? Also, what about tire temp? It was warmer coming home, about 80+ degrees and tires all ran about 90 or so. I thought everything was working great, but I don't know what is normal or abnormal behavior regarding the monitors. Any feedback would be appreciated.

m

mfeeley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 06:32 PM   #2

That is very normal. I have used a TPMS for several years on my 5th wheel toy hauler. My tires go up about 10% from cold inflation on average in the summer time. When I had load range G tires set at 80lbs cold...they would increase to 88-90 when hot...and around 90 degrees temp. I upgraded to Load range F tires which set cold to 95 psi...they go up to about 105 when hot. My truck tires do the very same.

There is a great web site/blog hosted by Roger Marble www.rvtiresafety.net you should check out. Roger was a tire engineer for over 40 years and there is a ton of great information on his site. Very educational in many ways.

RockyMtnMarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 06:54 PM   #3
Site Team

The documentation that came with your TPMS should set expectations for increase in temp. & pressure.

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 =111/'19 = 40; booked = 0
Mr. Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 07:26 PM   #4

Your pressure numbers seem right. I donít put a lot of stock in the temp reading. It is influenced by which side is to the sun, the outside temp, etc. some even say the TV exhaust will influence the temp. I would be concerned though if one was way higher than the rest. I just donít depend on the temp to be correct but just a relative reference from tire to tire.

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 08:01 PM   #5

The hot sun actually raises the pressure more than friction from driving. Don’t overthink the display. Just listen for an audible warning and otherwise ignore it.
My17Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 08:41 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by My17Ram View Post
The hot sun actually raises the pressure more than friction from driving. Donít overthink the display. Just listen for an audible warning and otherwise ignore it.
I disagree. May as just keep it in your pocket. You want to Ďmonitorí your tires just like you monitor your speed, oil pressure, etc. Donít dwell on it but glance at it occasionally. The tires will track each other. They will all trend up or down in pressure and temperatures. If one starts to buck the trend that is what you want to catch. Pull over as soon as safe and see why the tire is acting the way it is.

I had a friend who had one tire temperature rising a lot higher than the other 3. He was scratching his head wonder if his TPMS was giving him a false reading. He decided he needed to pull over but not soon enough. The tire separated and did lots of damage to his RV. He told me he had several minutes to respond but hesitated.

So monitor it so you can catch a problem tire before it causes you a lot of damage. Most of the time though if your going to have a tire separation the TPMS will not save you.

Old 04-20-2019, 10:30 PM   #7

Maybe I shouldn’t say ignore it but of all the other things to pay attention to, continually Glancing at a display ghat never changes seems pretty redundant. In the bright sun you can’t see the numbers anyway.
Old 04-20-2019, 10:40 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by My17Ram View Post
Maybe I shouldnít say ignore it but of all the other things to pay attention to, continually Glancing at a display ghat never changes seems pretty redundant. In the bright sun you canít see the numbers anyway.
Does your oil pressure ever change? How about engine temp? No typically but you still monitor them and hope they donít change. Same with the TPMS. You hope it does not change but you want to use it to your advantage if it does, if you wait for an alarm to go off there is a chance that a tire steel belts have been damaged due to sidewall flexing due to under pressure.

Iím not sure what TPMS you have but I have no problem seeing mine in the bright sun.

Like I said, if your not going to monitor it, put it in your pocket and wait for the alarm to go off...

Old 04-21-2019, 05:37 AM   #9

TST507 color monitor. Of course I’m aware of the pressure/temp readings. “Monitor oil pressure” in a modern vehicle? You must be doing an awful lot of “monitoring”, my friend. Safe travels!
Old 04-21-2019, 06:23 AM   #10

Those readings are totally normal and like mentioned above, temp readings will vary based on which tires are in the sun or shade.

Equalizer WDH
njfishing is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tpms