Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-13-2009, 08:00 AM   #1

tralier stabilization

just thought i would share my latest mod. i was tired of the bouncing when the kids walked in the trailer. we have a 2701ss so it is fairly long. i have been looking at the strut bars that attach to the existing jacks to stabilize and was not sure if it would help my problem. it feels like the centre of the trailer bounces because the suspension flexes. so i picked up a pair of bal jacks at camping world and installed them just ahead of the first axle. wow what a difference. total difference. this should be standard on longer trailers.
skidoonut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 08:41 AM   #2

I like that mod!
Wisconsin Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 08:54 PM   #3
Cardinal 04 31LE

I have a fifth wheel that bounces a little more than i like. I was considering the same action. Did you use scissors or telescoping style? But I was thinking to install them directly behind the tandem.
Mr.B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 12:46 PM   #4

Thinking of doing the same. Lets see some pic's of the install if you could.
SLEDJED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 08:30 PM   #5

i purchased scissor jacks. i put them in front of my axles because that is close to the center of the trailer. here are some pictures as requested.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	jack01.jpg
Views:	659
Size:	67.5 KB
ID:	1731   Click image for larger version

Name:	jack2.jpg
Views:	635
Size:	70.3 KB
ID:	1732   Click image for larger version

Name:	jack3.jpg
Views:	635
Size:	46.2 KB
ID:	1733  
Old 08-19-2009, 09:09 PM   #6
Cardinal 04 31LE

Thanks for the Pics! Also the pavers look great. My son does that type of work so I notice those things!
Mr.B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 09:23 PM   #7

thanks. they were lots of work. my driveway is 160feet long and 40 feet wide. lots of bricks in that driveway
Old 08-19-2009, 10:25 PM   #8

Thank for posting this. I might give this a try on my 5er.
Max Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 12:41 AM   #9
Computer Guy

i was thinking of ditching my telescoping jacks for scissor ones. maybe i will try this first to see if this is what i'm looking for.

2019 Coachman Chaparral Lite 295BH

2006 Dodge Ram 2500 Mega Cab Laramie 5.9 Diesel
Jimmy-D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 07:41 PM   #10

Great Job! Simple yet super effective
MelloDano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 08:45 PM   #11
AKA Bluebird

Send a message via Yahoo to dimurrrw
Just wondering - will the jacks lift the side of the trailer for tire changing, etc?

dimurrrw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 06:29 AM   #12

the jacks on a trailer are not designed to lift the trailer. they are meant to hold not lift. i would think in a emergency it might work but i carry a hyd. bottle jack in the trailer for tire changes. the paper work for all the jacks for trailers tel you that they are not for lifting the trailer.
Old 09-02-2009, 07:32 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy-D View Post
i was thinking of ditching my telescoping jacks for scissor ones. maybe i will try this first to see if this is what i'm looking for.

I would be concerned about switching out the factory stab jacks for scissors jacks on a light-weight trailer. The scissors jacks could lift the wheels off of the ground on my Trailmanor, but that was a full boxed 2x5" frame. The I-Beam frames on my light-weight Surveyor just does not seem sturdy enough to take the stress of scissors jacks on the extreme corners. Even firming up the OEM stab jacks during site setup, I get some creaking noises.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 07:49 AM   #14

Since most camper trailers are dual axle, I don't see the need for a jack, unless you blow BOTH tires on the same side...unlikely, but I suppose it IS possible. My thoughts were to use the LYNX leveling blocks, that most all of us carry. Simply run the good wheel up onto the blocks, and the flat is easily removed! Randy
Flowmaster "true duals", 380 h.p., Bilstein shocks
08flagvlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 09:09 PM   #15

Any comment on using bottle jacks for the same purpose? Take up less room in the one under trailer storage bin that comes with my Rockwood 8319SS.
Fort Kent Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 06:04 AM   #16

bottle jacks would work but they are tippy and i am not sure if you will get the same effect. the jacks i put on came with the mounting hardware and are attached to the frame. i just crank them up just like the ones on the corners. you don't have to worry about storing them in any cubby holes.
Old 09-14-2009, 01:33 PM   #17

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnguy View Post
I would be concerned about switching out the factory stab jacks for scissors jacks on a light-weight trailer. The scissors jacks could lift the wheels off of the ground on my Trailmanor, but that was a full boxed 2x5" frame. The I-Beam frames on my light-weight Surveyor just does not seem sturdy enough to take the stress of scissors jacks on the extreme corners. Even firming up the OEM stab jacks during site setup, I get some creaking noises.

MTNGUY,
We also have the SV263, and on our way to Lake Anna over Labor Day, one of the front stabilizer jacks came down during travel (might have lost a bolt) and is bent beyond repair. We were thinking of replacing both the front stabilizer jacks with scissor jacks - are you saying that would probably not be a good idea?

Don and Laura + Roo
Chesapeake, VA
VAlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 04:07 PM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Lippert has 24 inch scissor jack on sale, $17.00 each plus shipping. A scissor jack on the corner may help pick up a trailer, but don't count on it. You'll still have the hitch connected and are going to be picking up the tow vehicle some too. You might get the good tire on leveling blocks, but doubtful. The axle pair is made to balance the load, and it will take a lot of blocks to get the bad axle high enough to get a new wheel on. Try it in the driveway if you don't believe me. Bottle jacks will work great, and are small. You just can't store them laying down as the fluid will run out making the jack useless. Don't worry about tipping over as the trailer will be anchored to the tow vehicle. There isn't a good answer. I had a flat couple of weeks ago, and used the screw jack for my truck. Worked great, although I did put down the scissor jacks for better stability. A screw jack from a pickup may be the answer. Should be cheap in a junk yard, if you don't pull with a truck. Make sure you get the proper handle also. Hope this helps.
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 07:34 AM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAlover View Post
MTNGUY,
We also have the SV263, and on our way to Lake Anna over Labor Day, one of the front stabilizer jacks came down during travel (might have lost a bolt) and is bent beyond repair. We were thinking of replacing both the front stabilizer jacks with scissor jacks - are you saying that would probably not be a good idea?
Answered via PM.

I would like to hear from others concerning my post #13. Do members have scissors jacks on their lite weight trailer I-beam frames, and if so, have there been any stress problems??

Inquiring minds want to know.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 09:37 AM   #20
Site Team

Scissor jacks or stabilizer jacks make no difference. It's all about how much stabilizing you do. You could use hydraulic jacks. The issue is not to lift the RV by the frame corners. As for amount of stabilization provided. The stab jacks are more stable than the scissors. This comes from the shape as well as real world experience.