Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-27-2018, 01:08 PM   #1
RJ CAST

Travel Trailer Bike Rack

We are picking up our 2018 Avenger 27RBS in April. Will be pulling it with a new Chev Tahoe.
Want to add a Bike Rack, but not sure if I should get the dealer to do it and which one to purchase. Need a rack for two bikes, but occasionally our two grandchildren will be traveling with us, so four would be nice. Not real excited about the $1,200 quote the deal gave me for ARVIKA "A" FRAME for 4 bikes.
Thinking I can but a 2 bike rack for over the propane tanks instal it myself.
Also thinking to add a hitch receiver to the back of the trailer, and we could use my old hitch that holds four bikes. Would the bikes on the back of the trailer cause problems?

Any suggestions,
robcastonguay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 01:27 PM   #2
Always Learning

I’d plan for 2 bikes and if you have to take 2 more, put them in the camper or on top of the Tahoe.

Heck, that’s an option for all 4 really.
Old 01-27-2018, 01:28 PM   #3
Novice Travel Trailer Guy

Do not add any after market attachments to the bumper. Do not buy the roof ladder options. Buy either one that attaches on the front of A-frame and/or add a front end hitch to your truck. Best.

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BRDS Travel Trailer
2018 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 LTZ
benchmarks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 09:44 AM   #4
Canadian Member

Robcastonguay, congrats on your new Avenger.

If you use the search feature at the top of the page (assuming you’re using a web browser) you’ll find 1000s of posts on bike racks. It’s one of the most popular topics here.

The Arvika is a quality bike carrier and can handle 4 bikes, but yes it’s very pricey. You can find less expensive options for an A frame mount for 2 bikes, and then decide what to do with the grandkids’ bikes for the few occasions they’ll be with you. If the grandkids are small enough, their bikes might fit in the back of the Tahoe.

As for other options, I recommend you avoid putting anything on the bumper. If the Tahoe can handle the extra weight, a rack on the roof would be a good option. Personally, I’d be reluctant to hang 4 bikes off the front. There are a few threads here showing how members created anchors for their bikes on the underside on the boards under the dinette cushions - just flip the boards over to use the dinette seats.
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 09:56 AM   #5

See post #2 for the beefed up receiver I had put on my Roo 19. See post #12 for the one I had put on my Micro Lite 2503S. I only have 2 bikes.

Dealer will probably charge you more than a local welder.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...oo-107358.html

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 05:05 PM   #6

I picked up the Stromberg Carlson bike bunk and used my own 4-bike hitch rack with it. I was worried about weight (I only do 2 adult bikes and 1 kids bike currently), but the Stromberg Carlson is SOLID and well built and I've been really happy thus far.

My favorite part about having the bikes on the a-frame instead of in back? I can monitor and keep an eye on how they are riding!
jbdoughty01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 05:17 PM   #7

I used the Stromberg Carlson bike bunk on my previous trailer and it worked quite well. Our current trailer has a drop down steel rack on the back, factory installed, where I carry the bikes now.
dlwilliams48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 05:35 PM   #8

I welded angle iron to the supports underneath my A frame and attached a plate and receiver to it. My bike rack mounts to the receiver. Search the threads under A frames to find pictures od a similar job that supports a motorcycle,
Steve & Sandy
Rockwood A213HW
Honda Odyssey
sholdeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 08:46 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbdoughty01 View Post
I picked up the Stromberg Carlson bike bunk and used my own 4-bike hitch rack with it. I was worried about weight (I only do 2 adult bikes and 1 kids bike currently), but the Stromberg Carlson is SOLID and well built and I've been really happy thus far.

My favorite part about having the bikes on the a-frame instead of in back? I can monitor and keep an eye on how they are riding!
Yes we did the same. Don't trust bike racks on the back. Last one I had broke a weld due to the bikes bouncing back there. A smooth ride on top of the a frame and I can see them. Plus I can use the bike rack I already had and still can use it on the back of the truck as well.
Canadiancrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 09:40 AM   #10

We put a hitch on the front of our truck and haul 4 bikes. Works great and under $200.
naturegreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 10:33 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by naturegreen View Post
We put a hitch on the front of our truck and haul 4 bikes. Works great and under $200.

I’m considering doing the same to haul 4 bikes. I don’t need more tongue weight from mounting over LP tanks. I don’t have much room inside while towing and wouldn’t want bikes maybe moving around and causing damage. I really don’t want to go the rear bumper route either, but that would be my second choice.
I have extra TV payload capacity and you would think that having extra weight in the front would only improve overall steering/handling (offsetting the tongue weight).
I also have extra CCC for the TT and below my towing capacity.
I believe that bikes up front would just make it an easier solution. Sometimes we have to back way up to fit in a site. So access up front should never be a concern.
Would love to hear from anyone else who has tried this and how it worked/ didn’t work etc.
frostriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 02:22 PM   #12

Seems to me there is really no "good" answer to the question of bikes and how to carry them.

I had the bike bunk, and the unit itself was solid. No issues. But the bike rack that I installed using the bike bunk receiver was not as solid. There is a lot of wind hitting the bikes on the front of the camper. Add a bike cover and its even worse. Had the bike rack break in the front, as the wind pushed the bikes back and up against the trailer. No damage to anything but the rack itself (not the bike bunk, just the bike rack).

So when got the new trailer, we decided to try something similar but slightly different. Went with the Lippert Jack-it. Similar concept, except it attaches to the tongue jack, and the bike rack is part of the unit. So we figured it would be more sturdy. First time we used it was a trip from MD to Miami and back (admittedly that is more miles than we typically travel in a year). It was good all the way down, but it made it about an hour north of Miami on the return trip before it broke. I expected it to last more than 1500 miles...

So I'm not sure what my next attempt will be, maybe back to the bike bunk. We did go from the 5.5 bed to the 6.5 bed in the new truck, partially because we have had crummy luck with bike transit, and they will fit better in the longer bed (if we need to put them there). Maybe just put them in the back of the truck?

Old 03-07-2018, 02:47 PM   #13

I like the Lippert Jack-it:

It's a bit tough to mount the rear bike with one person but not so bad with 2. No signs of stress related failures as mentioned in this thread. Quite happy with it.
windsurfdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 03:34 PM   #14
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semperfi24 View Post
But the bike rack that I installed using the bike bunk receiver was not as solid. There is a lot of wind hitting the bikes on the front of the camper. Add a bike cover and its even worse. Had the bike rack break in the front, as the wind pushed the bikes back and up against the trailer. No damage to anything but the rack itself (not the bike bunk, just the bike rack).
What bike rack did you use?

I have a Thule rack that I use on my king pin. I've had it up there since December 2014 when we went from Maryland to Key West and back. Since then, I think it has a good 30k miles on it and hundreds of legs of trips.

Old 03-07-2018, 03:37 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
What bike rack did you use?

I have a Thule rack that I use on my king pin. I've had it up there since December 2014 when we went from Maryland to Key West and back. Since then, I think it has a good 30k miles on it and hundreds of legs of trips.

And I'll be the paperwork for it said, "Not for RV use." I know mine does. But it's over 6 years old and going strong on the back of my TT. Mine's a platform rack.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Mini Lite at Wolf River CG 1 Aug 2016.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	454.8 KB
ID:	164528  

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 03:59 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by frostriver View Post
I’m considering doing the same to haul 4 bikes. I don’t need more tongue weight from mounting over LP tanks. I don’t have much room inside while towing and wouldn’t want bikes maybe moving around and causing damage. I really don’t want to go the rear bumper route either, but that would be my second choice.
I have extra TV payload capacity and you would think that having extra weight in the front would only improve overall steering/handling (offsetting the tongue weight).
I also have extra CCC for the TT and below my towing capacity.
I believe that bikes up front would just make it an easier solution. Sometimes we have to back way up to fit in a site. So access up front should never be a concern.
Would love to hear from anyone else who has tried this and how it worked/ didn’t work etc.

Name:	20170312_135302.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	168.9 KB
ID:	164527
I have used this method many times. It is a Kuat rack 4 bike rack quite sturdy. You will want something sturdy.
I will say your headlights are hindered just a bit. Chrome bike parts reflect back at you. Steep inclines (such as driveways) can be an issue. Intersections that you must creep out as much as possible to see traffic become much worse.
Other than that easy peasy. No wait tight twisting campgrounds roads and sites. Yeah I think that's most of the negatives.

2016 Ford F250 XLT 4X4 6.2L
2015 Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329SS
Hensley Arrow
uhduh camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 04:05 PM   #17

The bike rack that failed with the bike bunk, to be fair, was not what would be deemed top notch quality. It was purchased at Walmart.

Old 03-07-2018, 04:14 PM   #18
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semperfi24 View Post
The bike rack that failed with the bike bunk, to be fair, was not what would be deemed top notch quality. It was purchased at Walmart.

Thanks. I was curious.
Old 03-07-2018, 04:31 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by uhduh camping View Post
Attachment 164527
I have used this method many times. It is a Kuat rack 4 bike rack quite sturdy. You will want something sturdy.
I will say your headlights are hindered just a bit. Chrome bike parts reflect back at you. Steep inclines (such as driveways) can be an issue. Intersections that you must creep out as much as possible to see traffic become much worse.
Other than that easy peasy. No wait tight twisting campgrounds roads and sites. Yeah I think that's most of the negatives.

Lol thanks for sharing! Great points to consider. I was going to use our “hanging” rack and use a hitch tightener to keep the wobble down. That may not last based on what your saying.
frostriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 11:16 PM   #20

Name:	IMG_1803.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	290.3 KB
ID:	164545Did this in my 5r. Worked awesome.
Craig Large is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bike, bike rack, trailer, travel, travel trailer