Old 03-08-2016, 12:25 PM   #1
Exclamation Travel trailer headboards

Hey all!

While at an RV show two months ago my husband and I saw a few nice looking padded headboards that appeared to flow with the curved wall in some bedrooms. Does anyone know where I could purchase one of these? I could try to make one, but how do you make it bend compromising the wood?

I thought a google search may yield results but NOTHING. Has anyone done this before?

Thanks in advance!

2016 Apex 300BHS
TV: 2005 Silverado Z71, 4x4 lowered and re-geared
ApexBunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 06:48 PM   #2
I don't know that I'm picturing the same thing you are describing, but.... if I wanted to make a padded headboard that would follow the curve of the front of the camper I would cut a piece of 1/4" plywood to the size I wanted the headboard to be, then I would pad/ upholster that and attach it to the wall of the camper. The 1/4" plywood should be flexible enough to conform to the shape of the front wall.

djdehne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 08:01 AM   #3
I just read on another forum about a TT owner whose headboard actuall fell off the wall above the bed. he stated that it was fabric over foam over 1/8 luan stapled to the wall with "very small" staples. He also said he reattached it with interlocking mirror clip. Luan is very giving if bending with the grain. You may look into something like that.
bamasurveyor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 05:31 PM   #4
I made a simple one from 1/8th inch ply wood with 2 inch foam and fake leather vinyl. Pretty easy. I tried fabric glue initially then resorted to a staple gun to attach the stretched fabric to the back of the board. I used 3m(grey from autoparts store) exterior ebllem 2 sided tape to adhere it to the wall. I wedged a couple of board against it overnight until the
3m tape did it's thing. The wall is a bit curved and I'd rather not use a screw but a short screw or two would have been fine also except for a whole in the fake leather. If mine falls down it's getting two holes and screws. The black fake leather and the foam both from a fabric shop.
2015 Forest River Grey Wolf..Traded
2015 Forest River Cherokee 274RK
2001 2500hd
Simplewon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 01:55 PM   #5
Google flexible plywood. You could wrap around a 55 gallon drum if you wanted to. I've used on several projects. Good luck
2014 Chevy 1500 Crew Cab 5.3 4X4
LinemanSeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 01:57 PM   #6
You can order grain specific on how you would like the plywood to bend.
2014 Chevy 1500 Crew Cab 5.3 4X4
LinemanSeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 04:33 PM   #7
I was a cabinetmaker in a past life. Curves can be tough, but I usually had more difficulty attaching the fabric to the curve after the substrate was formed, but it can be done. The most simple way to get and maintain the curve is to bend some 1/4" ply to the curve you want, and use yellow wood glue over the entire surface and attach another piece of 1/4" ply to the curved piece and dry for 24 hours. Then attach the fabric starting from the middle to each end.
--2005 F350 Superduty Crewcab, 6.0, 4wd, short bed, 3.73 gears;
--2016 Montana 3711FL, 40'
--2014 Wildcat 327CK, 38' SOLD
phillyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 04:58 PM   #8
We have Removed several of the "Froo Froo" headboards that came in new units we have bought! I really think they use the Same designer's that Furnish "Cat Houses in Vegas"! Youroo!!
youroo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 05:13 PM   #9
We removed the OEM headboard as well. It didn't look all that great to begin with and enjoy the extra inch or two of length it gives me on the bed.

2007 Surveyor SV 230
2013 F150 Ecoboost
azjerry is offline   Reply With Quote

trailer, travel, travel trailer