Forest River Forums
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Forest River Forums > Forest River Tech Talk > Modifications and Updates

Old 03-19-2009, 08:53 PM   #1

Travel Trailer solution to carry generator.

I needed a way to carry my generator on my trailer so I didn't have to put it in the back of my Suburban and smell the fuel. My solution was a platform carrier. Since my rear bumper is made of steel and welded to the frame, I bought a Curt hitch adapter and a Draw Tite platform carrier that folds up out of the way if you don't need it for the generator. I also added an extra tail light on the carrier since it sticks out. I use a hitch lock so the carrier doesn't get stolen and I use adjustable slide locks to secure the bottom frame of my generator to the floor of the carrier. So far no weld breaks or twisting of the bumper. It works great. I even have room to attach a 5 gallon fuel can on the carrier. My generator is a Craftsman 5600 watt.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00613.jpg
Views:	708
Size:	64.5 KB
ID:	1377   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00614.jpg
Views:	672
Size:	72.0 KB
ID:	1378   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00615.jpg
Views:	706
Size:	57.6 KB
ID:	1379  

opcop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 07:07 AM   #2

That's a nice idea.

Having said that. It puts some serious twisting moment on that square tubing. I'm not saying it won't be ok but I'd definitely put it on my list of things to check very closely every stop. I'd closely check the welds of the bumper supports at the bumper and the frame at least each trip. I'd also try and move the draw bar on the tray into the receiver as far as possible even if it means drilling a new hole closer to the hinge.

Just trying to make sure you don't have a non-happy camping experience.
Now take that thing and go camping!

Old 03-20-2009, 02:31 PM   #3
Cyber Phrenologist

The twisting motion can be reduced by drilling another hole in the Draw Tite carrier for the retaining pin so the carrier and generator ride closer to the bumper. The "Lever" would be shorter.
2008 (or is it 2009?) Rockwood 8280SS - 2007 F-150
Lot's of mostly Kenwood radios

Radio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 07:44 AM   #4
Site Team

I was hoping that more members would chime in here so I would not feel the need to comment, but this setup concerns me some.

The Craftsman 5600 weighs 156 lbs. empty, and along with the Drawtite platform there is probably ~200 lbs. centered about 2' back from the bumper. That is a lot of weight bouncing down the road. At the bare miminum, I would shorten up the hitch shank like Radio suggested, keep a close eye on everything like Bama suggested, and run everything across the scales to make sure the tongue weight is in the 12-15% range.

BTW....great lookn' mod.

Keep us posted on how it works out. I have been considering mounting a couple of small boxes on my bumper to carry chock blocks and such (maybe max. of 30 lbs. or so), and if your setup works good, then my addition should be a piece of cake.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2006 Ford F150 Super Cab 4x4
2008 Surveyor 263
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 01:42 AM   #5

When I first set this up I was concerned about the weight and bumper as well. I attached the Curt adapter as close to the frame connection w/o the carrier sticking out beyond the side of the TT. There is also a piece of angle iron that is welded just behind the bumper and is welded to both frames. It was a tight fit, but there was enough room to slide the Curt adapter in between the bumper and the angle iron. The angle iron actually keeps the weight from the carrier from twisting the bumper. It's been on the trailer for about 2 years and so far so good. I always check the welds each trip. I'm not sure if all Rockwoods have this same angle iron bracket between the frames just behind the bumper.
opcop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 06:56 AM   #6
Site Team

opcop, my Surveyor has that a similar angle iron attachement from the bumper to the frame. So after your 2 years of successful traveling with no problems, I will not feel hesitant to add the storage boxes to my bumper. It should actually help me some, as my tongue weight is approching 14%, and that is before I add any water to the black tank, which is well ahead of the axles.

Thanks for the reply back.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2006 Ford F150 Super Cab 4x4
2008 Surveyor 263
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 08:57 PM   #7

Is there a way you can post a picture (or pictures) of the underside of your bumper...showing the welds and angle iron? I've been seriously thinking of doing this mod myself and want to compare your underside to my Salem 26TBSS's.

Thanks !!

2006 Avalanche 1500 w/6" lift
2007 Suburban 2500 4x4 w/4" lift
2008 Salem 26TBSS
P3 Controller
4 lil' ones & a Hottie for a wife
TravelSoftballDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 08:43 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravelSoftballDad View Post
Is there a way you can post a picture (or pictures) of the underside of your bumper...showing the welds and angle iron? I've been seriously thinking of doing this mod myself and want to compare your underside to my Salem 26TBSS's.

Thanks !!
I wouldn't do that if I were you Travel Dad. I used to work for Salem and the angle iron we used for that particular section has a lower tensil strength than other models. Your particular model, the Triple Bunk, was among the weakest. Unless you want to pick your generator up off the freeway (or parts of the generator more like it)

SalemMaker
Old 03-26-2009, 09:02 PM   #9

Thanks Salem...I was afraid of that ;-(

What are your thoughts in terms of me re-enforcing it with new angle iron? Still no-go or ???

Thanks again !!

2006 Avalanche 1500 w/6" lift
2007 Suburban 2500 4x4 w/4" lift
2008 Salem 26TBSS
P3 Controller
4 lil' ones & a Hottie for a wife
TravelSoftballDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 11:59 AM   #10
09 Wildcat QBBS 5'R 07 DX

I placed a 4x4 steel beam behind my rear bumper and welded it to the trailer frame on each end. then i welded a reciever hitch to the 4x4 steel beam and the cheap bumper.
the 4x4 steel square tubing was about $70. The reciever hitch was about $45. Piece of mind Priceless.........my 5'r is a 09 wildcat qbbs my generator is a 9000 watt 245lbs. I hunt alot and go desert riding on my quads. this set up has never failed me. this is my second rig set up this way in the last 10 years. when my geneartor is not back there my atv trailer is with 3 bikes.