Old 04-14-2010, 01:51 PM   #11
rsl

Weel I got my 2025 installed, it was very easy. I used exsisting wire paths and loom that was routeed from the battery comparment all the way to the wall I wanted to mount on. IF anyone would like more specifics or has questions please feel free to ask.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0456.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	59.7 KB
ID:	2414   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0455.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	36.6 KB
ID:	2415   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0458.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	84.2 KB
ID:	2416   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0459.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	45.0 KB
ID:	2417  

Old 04-14-2010, 03:46 PM   #12

Looks good! I like the battery box too!

Baldy

Old 04-14-2010, 04:52 PM   #13

Nice install. I have a dumb question. I have a magnum converter/inverter in my motor home and it has a remote control panel that shows the state of the batteries. Is the 2025 different or does it provide any different information?
thanks.

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 05:55 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmmar View Post
Nice install. I have a dumb question. I have a magnum converter/inverter in my motor home and it has a remote control panel that shows the state of the batteries. Is the 2025 different or does it provide any different information?
thanks.
Tmmar. Yes the Trimetric is different. Your display on the inverter only shows what the battery voltage is (same as the built in battery level meters on all RVs) and the amperage that the inverter is drawing from your batteries but that is it.

You will notice the large brass block that has the heavy wires running to and from it on the picture above. This is called a "Shunt" and ALL battery power even the inverter runs through this with a battery monitor system. It is installed on the negative battery cable between the battery bank and ALL loads. Therefore the Trimetric shows all amperage being drawn from or put back into the battery bank. It is the only way to find phantom loads. If you had solar panels as we do and they are putting 14 amps into the bank and you are running your inverter and using 12 amps then the Trimetric would show a net charge of 2 amps.

Battery monitor systems like this are the ONLY way to really know what your batteries are doing. When you first set up the Trimetric you tell it what size your bank is. For us we have a 740amp/hour bank. As we use power while dry camping it will tell us based on how much was used and put back in via solar or running the generator what % of full we are. It's an awesome system if you dry camp. If not then it's not that big a deal but I will never have another rig without one.
Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
www.nwjeepn.com
NWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 06:02 PM   #15

nwjeeper,
Thanks for clearing things up.

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 02:23 PM   #16

I hope that this isn't off subject, but along the same lines of monitoring the batteries. We don't really do any dry camping, so battery consumption isn't really a concern for me. What I would like to do though, is be able to do real-time monitoring of my power consumption. If I can explain this correctly....I'd like to be able to see amps being used at any time. When the AC and the microwave are on, I'd like to see what my amperage draw is. When I turn something else on, how much extra is the draw? I hope that makes sense. Is there anything that can be either hardwired or plugged into a circuit that can show me that? Maybe the Trimetric does that, I don't know. I know that I can get the Kill-A-Watt and plug in each piece of equipment to see what it draws, but having something that monitors the entire system would be my preference.
Thanks for your help.
2010 Rockwood 2701SS
Killman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 05:56 PM   #17

I'm finding this really facinating. In particular how much various devices draw. I think a battery monitor is a mod we will seriously consider. It's hammering home how much less the LED lights use.
days camped in 2011: 37 (up to Aug 1st)
2Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 07:02 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killman View Post
I hope that this isn't off subject, but along the same lines of monitoring the batteries. We don't really do any dry camping, so battery consumption isn't really a concern for me. What I would like to do though, is be able to do real-time monitoring of my power consumption. If I can explain this correctly....I'd like to be able to see amps being used at any time. When the AC and the microwave are on, I'd like to see what my amperage draw is. When I turn something else on, how much extra is the draw? I hope that makes sense. Is there anything that can be either hardwired or plugged into a circuit that can show me that? Maybe the Trimetric does that, I don't know. I know that I can get the Kill-A-Watt and plug in each piece of equipment to see what it draws, but having something that monitors the entire system would be my preference.
Thanks for your help.
The Trimetric is DC only but I fail to see the value in monitoring AC load usage. It really is of no value that I can see. Outside of the Kill-A-Watt I am sure there are systems out there to monitor the AC amperage but it would require re-wiring of the AC shore power cord and I am sure they are not cheap. I don't really care how much amperage I am drawing when plugged in to power, as I am paying the same amount to the campground every night anyway.
www.nwjeepn.com
Old 07-17-2010, 07:54 PM   #19
Site Team - Lou

I use the Kill-a-watt to monitor Inverter output amps when I dry camp.

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 08:46 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
I use the Kill-a-watt to monitor Inverter output amps when I dry camp.
The Kill-A-Watt will only tell you how many AC amps your devices are using from the inverter not how many amps it is actually pulling off the batteries. This is ultimatly of no value in knowing how many DC amps the inverter is pulling from the battery bank. Depending on the inverter, it's display should show you how many DC amps it is pulling from the bank and that is the only number you are really concerned with.

www.nwjeepn.com

Tags
battery