Old 09-20-2009, 05:50 PM   #1

Truck Performance Mods

Anybody have a truck like mine Duramax/Allison LB7 with any performance mods? I am looking to get a bit more power towing and generally increase my mileage.

TXWildcats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 08:03 PM   #2
JanLindbert

Wow, Duramax/Allison...and you need more power...Suggestion....get a smaller RV...You can tow the world with that truck my friend...Just joking but I wish I had one myself..My H3 needs a bit more power in the mountains.

Old 09-21-2009, 11:59 PM   #3

Send a message via AIM to pokyjoe48 Send a message via MSN to pokyjoe48 Send a message via Yahoo to pokyjoe48
TX, I've got an 01 D/A and I've got a Diablo, Preditor tuner. The exhaust is Banks 4" and its got a K&N air filter. Just did a 2000 mile trip. 1000 miles at 40 hp, got 9.5 average and the 1000 back set the tune at stock and 9.5 mpg. I was pulling our Cardinal 5th at around 12000 lbs. Didn't matter if I was at 8500 alt. or 1500 alt. still got 9.5. Did notice the lack of HP on the stock tune. I ran most of the trip at around 65+/-
Old 09-22-2009, 10:34 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Is this where somebody says get a FORD. Sorry, couldn't resist since I'm a Ford person. What you want is what we all want, more power and better mileage. Problem is it's impossible, mechanically, electrically, and otherwise. Factories have spent millions trying to accomplish this. See post above, after spending a couple thousand on exhaust and chip, he thinks he can feel a little more horsepower, but his mileage didn't vary. Most of the time people will feel what they see, and his chip says he has 40 more horsepower. If this were true, the mileage would have changed because the only way to get more power is to put in more fuel and air. More power and better mileage? All in a dream. Be happy with what you have, and if not, test drive a Ford.
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 10:27 PM   #5

Send a message via AIM to pokyjoe48 Send a message via MSN to pokyjoe48 Send a message via Yahoo to pokyjoe48
Hi Wind, Got to agree Fords are nice trucks but I'm still a GM fan. I did notice lack of power on the return trip and that kind of surprised me especially with the same mpg. stupid trucks and those darn tuners But like you said, more fuel and more air = more HP. O yeah, my choice of a Ford P/U is an F-250 4x4 4dr. P Stoke with auto and short bed
Old 10-02-2009, 03:36 PM   #6

Mine is an 04 Dodge Quad cab long bed with the 5.9HO Cummins TD. Before I installed the Cortex programmer I was getting around 18 MPG unloaded. With the programmer set in towing mode it was 19 to 21 depending on how I drove. With a 3500 lb truck camper to Myrtle Beach and back to VA I got 16 MPG driving between 60 and 65 MPH. Now in the performance mode, which I have only tried once the power increase was phenomenal. No way to prove it without putting it on the dyno but the claim is up to 125 increase in HP and I believe almost 200 foot lbs of extra torque. You have to careful in this mode because without the proper mods to the drivetrain you can easly rip something out, and you cannot tow in this mode. The unit is also upgradeable on your home computer and the newest download included an economy setting for fuel mileage. I'll let you know how well that works when I get through with this tank full.
Garland
Old 10-02-2009, 03:38 PM   #7

Sorry, double post.