Old 07-31-2011, 04:01 PM   #1
TV mount

The interior of our Flagstaff was obviously designed before flat screen tv's became affordable. The shelf for the tv is deep and designed for a tube type tv. In an effort to make things look more modern they found a small flat screen tv that fit in the opening.

This is fine except the viewing angle is so poor it looks like an X-ray when looking up at it, plus it was not visible from the bed. SInce it was freestanding it also had to be taken down every time we were on the road.
I decided a swivel mount was in order. The problem is I couldn't mount it to the back wall as the opening is so deep I would have to go with a very expensive mount, plus I wasn't sure how to attach it. I wanted to attach the mount to the cabinet on the left but there was an outlet, antenna jack and audio/video wallplate in the way. I considered mounting it to the refrigerator wall but there was no support and I didn't want to pull the refrigerator to reinforce the wall. I decided to make a stand out of a couple scrap pieces of 2X4. I bolted this to the shelf and attached the mount.

I can now tilt it down for a proper viewing angle and swing it out for viewing from the bed.

I can also fold it in and secure it with a bungee cord for travel.

backin15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 06:02 PM   #2
Thumbs up Very Cool Idea

I have the exact same problem in my TT. This looks like a great solution to me! Thanks!

Daren, Sharon and Tinkerbelle the Wonderdog
2011 Rockwood Mini-Lite 2304
Campski65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 04:25 PM   #3
same problem

how did u mount the 2x4 to the bottom of shelf.. it seems very flimsy in my surveyour.. i am looking for solutions as the bunks in the rear cant see the tv
campfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 04:59 PM   #4
My shelf appears to be made out of pressedwood and is quite sturdy. I am no carpenter and was unsure if lag bolts alone would hold it and I didn't want to glue it down in case it didn't work out, plus if I didn't get the position right I wanted to be able to move it. I found a piece of 1/2'' plywood and cut it to fit on top of the shelf. Then I ran screws up through the plywood into the 2X4. I ran a few screws through the plywood into the shelf to hold it so I could test the mount. Once I was satisfied I screwed it down with a half a dozen screws around the perimiter, then just to be sure it wasn't going anywhere I ran some lag bolts through the 2X4 down into the shelf. It is quite solid and probably both the perimiter screws and the lags was an overkill but I would rather overdo it than have it fall off!
backin15 is offline   Reply With Quote

tv mount