Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-31-2014, 11:58 AM   #21

Have you looked at the back of the dvd player? I would imagine there would be an audio output that you could connect to the TV.. What kind of cable is connecting the video from the source to the TV?

If you get a chance, snap some pictures of the back of the radio / DVD player.
klarowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 12:17 PM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by klarowe View Post
Have you looked at the back of the dvd player? I would imagine there would be an audio output that you could connect to the TV.. What kind of cable is connecting the video from the source to the TV?

If you get a chance, snap some pictures of the back of the radio / DVD player.
Shouldn't need to snap pictures, as generally they're one of only a handful of radios that FR uses:

Genesis (concertone) 2.0
Genesis (concertone) 3.0
Jensen
Magnadyne

(Might be others but these are the names most often coming up on the forums)

Just let us know what radio you've got and we can probably help with suggestions.
Old 07-31-2014, 01:16 PM   #23

Oh... mine came with a single-din Dual headunit (basically a Jensen, but cheaper... lol)
Old 08-01-2014, 06:07 AM   #24

All of you should look into "an-21 android" on youtube by Peter Chan and then on ebay have one in both my TV and TT. Well worth it.
Kuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 11:28 AM   #25

I'm one of those young buck, self-proclaimed audiophiles and as such, I was disappointed by the stock equipment in the 2715. I was mainly disappointed that my initial assumption turned out to be correct. I assumed after seeing the Jensen head unit that the rest of the A/V equipment would be super cheap as well and it all is.

TV is about as cheap as they come (Haier or whatever it is) and will be replaced with a Sony or maybe a Samsung of equivalent size in the future. Speakers are not up to my standards as well. I'm used to Pioneer, Infinity, Kicker, JL, etc... cause that's what I run in my vehicles. At home it's all Paradigm, Harmon Kardon, Bose, Klipsh, etc... I never use built in TV speakers, each entertainment setup in my house has a dedicated receiver, at least a few towers and a sub. I've gotten used to having powerful, clear audio with feeling and umph when necessary.

I know, I know, I'm a picky little SOB. Not just that, but I'm only at the first stage by admitting it, haven't moved on to addressing the problem yet...

My plans, wife and wallet permitting, is to first replace the TV with a better one. I do love my Sonys, but could deal with saving a few bucks and going with a comparable Samsung.

Second, speakers are all getting swapped with Infinity Kappa series (given there's room to accommodate what is surely to be a larger magnet). I've run these as stock replacements in numerous vehicles and they are about as clean and clear as the come.

Then comes the head unit. A nice double din DVD/Bluray player with built in screen will suffice, maybe a nice Pioneer Premier or an Alpine or something (haven't shopped the head unit department in some time...). Whatever it is is must have multiple zones, and numerous inputs including BT. Will have to have an HDMI out as well as I'm not at all impressed with the picture quality over the single composite RCA that's connected currently. Who uses composite RCA these days? Component would have sufficed...

Finally a nice 10" sub in a sealed, compact enclosure should do nicely for the bass. Nothing special as there's no need to shake the trailer apart with a pair of 12s or 15s. Just enough to get some punch when we're watching movies but not drown out the highs. Also, the 10" provides the best range to fill in the mids where the 6.5"s fall a bit short.

Any of the higher end head units should push enough power to the Infinities without needing an external amp, but the sub will need an amp that I'll probably just build into the box and mount it all on the wheel well under the head unit since nothing else goes there.

This is all contingent on how easy it is to run the extra wiring around these things, how much spare cash the wallet holds and how much patience the wife maintains with me...
TheUO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 12:02 PM   #26

I stand by Samsung products... that's pretty much all I get A/V wise (where possible... with the exception of my Onkyo / Denon receivers). I just bought a Samsung 4000 series 28" LED for my camper and the picture is beautiful. I run the Alpine headunit with the 445U mini-amp and the factory installed Kicker speakers (lower end Kickers, but still Kickers). I want to add a sub but really don't want to deal with trying to run the wires in the walls (power, rca, etc). Plus, just the outside speakers along are starting to make things rattle inside the camper... lol

I have never seen an in-dash automotive player with HDMI output but I'm sure the must exist...
Old 08-01-2014, 12:11 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaadk View Post
My trailer had 8 speakers, 4 in the living room on channel 'A', two in the bedroom on channel 'B' and 2 outside on channel 'C'. My Brother In Law's trailer was setup similar to yours. 4 in the living room, 2 of them on 'A' and 2 of them on 'B', 2 outside on 'C', no bedroom. After seeing mine, he plans to see if he can add speakers in the bedroom, then rewiring all 4 in his living room to 'A' and the two ones he adds to 'B'. He hasn't done that project yet though.
Your Brother In Law needs to be careful about adding 4 speakers to channel 'A'. This could take the impedance below the minimum value supported by the power amp and result in damaging the unit.
keith_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 12:22 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty72 View Post
Hey Gang,

I am just wondering what some of you have done with your TV/stereo units in your In your trailers. I am quite un-impressed with the quality and for-thought regarding our stereo and TV. First our speakers are ver "tinny" with not a great sound at all. I thought I have read previously before that some of you have replaced speakers with a bit better quality and that made a big difference. I am not looking for Dolby Digital 5.1 or even close to it, just something better than what is there. Have any of you done this modification?

Secondly, for some odd reason the had the great idea to have a swivel TV set that can twist from living area to bedroom, great idea right? Well, there are four speakers in the living area and the two closest to the bedroom are facing away from the TV. Tis become more problematic when you want the kids to watch a movie later in the evening and they go to the queen bedroom and the sound so out in the living area. Hmmm, I tried to disconnect the audio from the speakers but the audio and the video are all one cord. Just wondering what some of you have done in this situation? Come up with a different way to run video and just use speaker from TV or mount bedroom speakers in the bedroom. Thanks for any help or ideas you may have.
What make/model of audio system and television do you have?

If you have audio and video going to the television from the DVD player all you might need to so is go into the TV audios menus and turn on the internal speakers. After doing this turn off the speakers on your audio/DVD unit.
Old 08-01-2014, 12:27 PM   #29

Quote:
I stand by Samsung products... that's pretty much all I get A/V wise (where possible... with the exception of my Onkyo / Denon receivers). I just bought a Samsung 4000 series 28" LED for my camper and the picture is beautiful. I run the Alpine headunit with the 445U mini-amp and the factory installed Kicker speakers (lower end Kickers, but still Kickers). I want to add a sub but really don't want to deal with trying to run the wires in the walls (power, rca, etc). Plus, just the outside speakers along are starting to make things rattle inside the camper... lol

I have never seen an in-dash automotive player with HDMI output but I'm sure the must exist...
Well, if not HDMI, I can at least settle for component... Three wires for the video are still better than one and will at least support HD resolutions. I may just move my PS3 that's really just an overpriced Bluray player at this time to the camper and run audio from it to the head unit. May be a better option...

If I put the sub directly underneath the head unit I don't think running the 3' of cabling will be a problem. Heck, I can just free run them and put that tan cable molding around it. Looks a bit tacky if you're really looking for it. Now, getting a good supply of battery power to the amp it is a whole other story. I assume any power running to the head unit is grossly undersized for a possibly 500+ watt amp, although one 10" can probably suffice with a 250 RMS.
Old 08-01-2014, 12:30 PM   #30
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
...I have never seen an in-dash automotive player with HDMI output but I'm sure the must exist...

I haven't seen any HDMI outs on a head unit that's targeted for vehicles, just HDMI in. But as you say, they may exist. On the other hand though I have seen an Audiovox single DIN bluray player with HDMI out. It's not a full head unit, just a bluray player.

If I were to switch my system around (right after I win the lottery) I'd probably go this route:

Bluray -HDMI-> TV -digital audio(optical or coaxial as available)-> 5.1 capable head unit

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith_h View Post
Your Brother In Law needs to be careful about adding 4 speakers to channel 'A'. This could take the impedance below the minimum value supported by the power amp and result in damaging the unit.

I'm sure he knows. He's a bit of an audiophile himself and has done dozens of car audio installs. This approach is just his 'stop-gap' on the way to a full system replacement, when he can afford it.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Old 08-01-2014, 12:40 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaadk View Post
If I were to switch my system around (right after I win the lottery) I'd probably go this route:

Bluray -HDMI-> TV -digital audio(optical or coaxial as available)-> 5.1 capable head unit
If I can't find an HDMI capable head unit, that's the route I'm taking. HDMI from the Bluray player (PS3, most likely) to the TV and use the optical out to go to the head unit. The PS3 has a separate optical out, if your player doesn't, hopefully your TV does so you can go from the TV to the head unit.

Then you can just use the head unit for everything audio related and save some bucks in the process by going with a non-DVD unit.

Not a fan of Audiovox, but if they do it others probably have as well.

In any case, the stock Jensen needs to go, it's junk.
Old 08-01-2014, 12:58 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheUO View Post
If I can't find an HDMI capable head unit, that's the route I'm taking. HDMI from the Bluray player (PS3, most likely) to the TV and use the optical out to go to the head unit. The PS3 has a separate optical out, if your player doesn't, hopefully your TV does so you can go from the TV to the head unit.

Then you can just use the head unit for everything audio related and save some bucks in the process by going with a non-DVD unit.

Not a fan of Audiovox, but if they do it others probably have as well.

In any case, the stock Jensen needs to go, it's junk.
Your route is what I currently do. I use the HDMI out from my laptop to the TV and run it's aux out to the audio system aux in as it has no digital audio inputs. At some point I intend to upgrade the audio system but it is low on the list given it won't make a whole lot of difference with the size of our trailer.
Old 08-01-2014, 07:01 PM   #33

You don't want to run ANY size sub amp off the radio power. The radio is only powered by a 14awg wire (typically). Even with 250watts, you usually want at least a 10awg power and ground wire. You will definitely want to run power wires directly off the battery.
Old 08-02-2014, 07:58 AM   #34

The name brand of the unit is "Linear Series" yeah, probably even lower end than the Jensen or Concertone. I checked into adjusting the TV audio but I get nothing. I need a balance of being able to use TV on its own (when we have shore power) but also it be simple enough to run just the stereo when dry camping. As well installing this stuff is not something I will be doing unless it was a simple speaker switch. If we decide to change the unit I will need to pay someone which sucks but at least it would be done correctly.
Smitty72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 09:17 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty72 View Post
The name brand of the unit is "Linear Series" yeah, probably even lower end than the Jensen or Concertone. I checked into adjusting the TV audio but I get nothing. I need a balance of being able to use TV on its own (when we have shore power) but also it be simple enough to run just the stereo when dry camping. As well installing this stuff is not something I will be doing unless it was a simple speaker switch. If we decide to change the unit I will need to pay someone which sucks but at least it would be done correctly.
I sent you a PM. All of the DVD capable Linear Series I saw had audio/video out to attach a television. Will update more after getting your response to PM.
Old 08-02-2014, 08:15 PM   #36

Quote:
You don't want to run ANY size sub amp off the radio power. The radio is only powered by a 14awg wire (typically). Even with 250watts, you usually want at least a 10awg power and ground wire. You will definitely want to run power wires directly off the battery.
I absolutely will be pulling new wire off the batteries if I ever get around to adding a sub.
Old 08-11-2014, 06:28 PM   #37

Hey guys, I don't even know what kind of head unit we have. It plays DVDs but I'm looking to play blue ray too. Any suggestions on an upgrade? Will I need to run an hdmi? Thanks!
SalemSierra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 07:52 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by SalemSierra View Post
Hey guys, I don't even know what kind of head unit we have. It plays DVDs but I'm looking to play blue ray too. Any suggestions on an upgrade? Will I need to run an hdmi? Thanks!
I suggest the PS3...

And you'll probably have to run HDMI. Pretty sure HDMI is required since blu-rays are DRM protected. May find one that will do component though, but I doubt any will do regular old 1 RCA composite.

Disclaimer: No research was done for this post. Please feel free to correct anything that is wrong.
Old 08-13-2014, 03:28 PM   #39

I just purchased a Samsung blue-ray at WM for about $80. It has Ethernet connection not wifi for Netflix, etc. (not that i think i will use it) and is 120v. It barely fits in the under cabinet bracket but, it does fit. All the wifi units were to wide for the bracket. If your installing in a cabinet that probably is not a concern.
I plan on installing a Jefa Tech repeater to help wifi signal when available for email and bill paying mainly. It will allow me to ethernet to blue-ray. Have Netflix at home and rarely use it.

Paul
Big Dog House On Wheels
2013 Coachmen Freelander 28QB
on 2012 Chevrolet 4500
Using FR app

on 2012 4500 Chevrolet Chassis
Paul
B D HOWie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
upgrade