Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-01-2014, 01:40 PM   #31
Member
 
TheUO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaadk View Post
If I were to switch my system around (right after I win the lottery) I'd probably go this route:

Bluray -HDMI-> TV -digital audio(optical or coaxial as available)-> 5.1 capable head unit
If I can't find an HDMI capable head unit, that's the route I'm taking. HDMI from the Bluray player (PS3, most likely) to the TV and use the optical out to go to the head unit. The PS3 has a separate optical out, if your player doesn't, hopefully your TV does so you can go from the TV to the head unit.

Then you can just use the head unit for everything audio related and save some bucks in the process by going with a non-DVD unit.

Not a fan of Audiovox, but if they do it others probably have as well.

In any case, the stock Jensen needs to go, it's junk.
__________________

__________________
TheUO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 01:58 PM   #32
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 607
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheUO View Post
If I can't find an HDMI capable head unit, that's the route I'm taking. HDMI from the Bluray player (PS3, most likely) to the TV and use the optical out to go to the head unit. The PS3 has a separate optical out, if your player doesn't, hopefully your TV does so you can go from the TV to the head unit.

Then you can just use the head unit for everything audio related and save some bucks in the process by going with a non-DVD unit.

Not a fan of Audiovox, but if they do it others probably have as well.

In any case, the stock Jensen needs to go, it's junk.
Your route is what I currently do. I use the HDMI out from my laptop to the TV and run it's aux out to the audio system aux in as it has no digital audio inputs. At some point I intend to upgrade the audio system but it is low on the list given it won't make a whole lot of difference with the size of our trailer.
__________________

__________________
2015 F150 Ecoboost
2014 Palomini 142 CK
keith_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 08:01 PM   #33
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 163
You don't want to run ANY size sub amp off the radio power. The radio is only powered by a 14awg wire (typically). Even with 250watts, you usually want at least a 10awg power and ground wire. You will definitely want to run power wires directly off the battery.
__________________
klarowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 08:58 AM   #34
Member
 
Smitty72's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Nova Scotia
Posts: 48
The name brand of the unit is "Linear Series" yeah, probably even lower end than the Jensen or Concertone. I checked into adjusting the TV audio but I get nothing. I need a balance of being able to use TV on its own (when we have shore power) but also it be simple enough to run just the stereo when dry camping. As well installing this stuff is not something I will be doing unless it was a simple speaker switch. If we decide to change the unit I will need to pay someone which sucks but at least it would be done correctly.
__________________
Smitty72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 10:17 AM   #35
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 607
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty72 View Post
The name brand of the unit is "Linear Series" yeah, probably even lower end than the Jensen or Concertone. I checked into adjusting the TV audio but I get nothing. I need a balance of being able to use TV on its own (when we have shore power) but also it be simple enough to run just the stereo when dry camping. As well installing this stuff is not something I will be doing unless it was a simple speaker switch. If we decide to change the unit I will need to pay someone which sucks but at least it would be done correctly.
I sent you a PM. All of the DVD capable Linear Series I saw had audio/video out to attach a television. Will update more after getting your response to PM.
__________________
2015 F150 Ecoboost
2014 Palomini 142 CK
keith_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 09:15 PM   #36
Member
 
TheUO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by klarowe View Post
You don't want to run ANY size sub amp off the radio power. The radio is only powered by a 14awg wire (typically). Even with 250watts, you usually want at least a 10awg power and ground wire. You will definitely want to run power wires directly off the battery.
I absolutely will be pulling new wire off the batteries if I ever get around to adding a sub.
__________________
TheUO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 07:28 PM   #37
Junior Member
 
SalemSierra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 11
Hey guys, I don't even know what kind of head unit we have. It plays DVDs but I'm looking to play blue ray too. Any suggestions on an upgrade? Will I need to run an hdmi? Thanks!
__________________
SalemSierra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 08:52 PM   #38
Member
 
TheUO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by SalemSierra View Post
Hey guys, I don't even know what kind of head unit we have. It plays DVDs but I'm looking to play blue ray too. Any suggestions on an upgrade? Will I need to run an hdmi? Thanks!
I suggest the PS3...

And you'll probably have to run HDMI. Pretty sure HDMI is required since blu-rays are DRM protected. May find one that will do component though, but I doubt any will do regular old 1 RCA composite.

Disclaimer: No research was done for this post. Please feel free to correct anything that is wrong.
__________________
TheUO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 04:28 PM   #39
Senior Member
 
B D HOWie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Lake Wales
Posts: 248
I just purchased a Samsung blue-ray at WM for about $80. It has Ethernet connection not wifi for Netflix, etc. (not that i think i will use it) and is 120v. It barely fits in the under cabinet bracket but, it does fit. All the wifi units were to wide for the bracket. If your installing in a cabinet that probably is not a concern.
I plan on installing a Jefa Tech repeater to help wifi signal when available for email and bill paying mainly. It will allow me to ethernet to blue-ray. Have Netflix at home and rarely use it.


Paul
Big Dog House On Wheels
2013 Coachmen Freelander 28QB
on 2012 Chevrolet 4500
Using FR app
__________________

__________________
Big Dog House On Wheels
2013 Coachmen Freelander 28QB

on 2012 4500 Chevrolet Chassis
Paul
B D HOWie is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
upgrade

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:51 AM.