Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-31-2014, 07:13 PM   #1
Engineer of Crazy Train

Ubiquiti Bullet

Anyone out there using a Ubiquiti Bullet to connect to a Campground WiFi? Just ordered what I need to install one on the Roo so we can do updates to our Coaster Club websites from the campground (if the campground has sufficient internet bandwidth). This is similar to what I am attempting to do..

RVTech - Technical - Bullet Install

I will have a access point and switch (old router) inside the camper and have my own private WiFi at my site.
Locomotive Engineer
Nights Camping --- 2015 - 19 Camped | Winterized -- 2014 -18
Come read my Camping Blogs
ChooChooMan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 03:39 PM   #2

We have a similar setup in our trailer, but used a cheaper indoor alternative to the bullet. Same idea though - it works very well and is more secure than connecting your devices straight to public networks. It also has a better antenna and higher power, so your range from RV to access point is much better.
shuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 09:56 PM   #3
Engineer of Crazy Train

I just got my Bullet in, so I will probably play with it this weekend. I will do a writeup on the install.
Locomotive Engineer
Old 01-05-2015, 10:33 PM   #4

Thats awesome, I love the whole ubiquiti line of products, I have 2 of the NANOs that are designed for point to point bridge applications, they work great, I can pin point which AP is the strongest and lock to that particular AP. I run my cable out the back window and to a mast on the ladder, easy up and easy down, plus gives me the option to use 5Ghz or 2.4Ghz. I would like more info on the obstacles you ran into running cable from your antenna inside the camper.
blugrasbaseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 09:38 PM   #5

Shuko, what system do you have?
AbdRahim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 10:18 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbdRahim View Post
Shuko, what system do you have?
We are using the Ubiquity WISP instead of the bullet, and have it coupled to a cisco meraki to manage the network. The wisp connects directly to the poe adapter, which is nice and compact.
shuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 09:35 AM   #7
Engineer of Crazy Train

Did my initial bench testing. So far, I like it. I am able to connect the Bullet to an AP (Access Point), I connected an old router running DDWRT to it to use as the AP and network switch for my devices inside my camper. I am using the old router as my DHCP server, because I have more flexibility that way. I can specify my own DNS servers. I am also happy that I do not have to bring a laptop, as I can do everything from my Android Tablet.
Locomotive Engineer
Old 01-10-2015, 10:20 AM   #8

Wow! This sounds very interesting. Just wish I understood what the heck you guys are talking about.
gatnfans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 10:45 AM   #9
Engineer of Crazy Train

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatnfans View Post
Wow! This sounds very interesting. Just wish I understood what the heck you guys are talking about.
Basically, a high powered WiFi radio will be attached to the camper's antenna mast, and will be raised and lowered with the mast. My setup will have a omnidirectional antenna, meaning that it will pickup and receive signals in a 360 degrees around the camper. (Others have used directional antennas, which means it has to point at the source) This radio is used to pick up the WiFi at your campground. This radio is wired into the camper and to a router just like in your home. From this router, you connect your phone, computer, or any other devices that you wish to connect.

Pros
1) High power radio and antenna, outside the box of the camper, delivers better signals.
2) A lot of campground have a poorly designed repeater system. Every repeater cuts the bandwidth in half. You may be able to figure out which access point is closest to the source and get better bandwidth.
3) All your devices connect local to your camper, so it should result in a better connection.

Cons
1) Some campgrounds limit the amount of data you can use. Since their system sees all your devices as 1 device (because only the high powered radio is connected to them), it is easier to burn up your allotted data.
2) Got to have some knowledge of networks to get it up and running. Once running, it is easy to just log in, search for an AP to connect to, and you're done.
Locomotive Engineer
Old 01-10-2015, 05:08 PM   #10

ChooChoo thanks for the explanation. I get it know. I would just need an IT guy to set it up for me. Maybe not the mod I should tackle right now.
gatnfans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 07:18 PM   #11
Engineer of Crazy Train

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatnfans View Post
ChooChoo thanks for the explanation. I get it know. I would just need an IT guy to set it up for me. Maybe not the mod I should tackle right now.
I would recommend someone who knows what thwy are doing. Once set up, it is easy to connect.
Locomotive Engineer
Old 01-12-2015, 10:41 AM   #12

Check out www.radiolabs.com

I'm planning on getting there system in a month or so.
rsv4pilot is offline   Reply With Quote