Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-11-2011, 09:08 PM   #1
itch'n to road trip

Send a message via AIM to campnqueen Send a message via MSN to campnqueen Send a message via Yahoo to campnqueen
Question Underbed storage access

Hey Y'all, it's been awhile.

Okay so we have this 2010 Graywolf 19RR toy hauler.
The spear tire is under the front bed compartment...not a big deal.

However.. there is sooooo much extra space under the bed to store those little things we just "HAVE" to have when you travel...
you know.. the "stuff" you need but not everyday.

The plywood lifts up (bed mattress sits on top) but it is unwieldy and very heavy for anyone to lift with one hand,
and fish out whatever it is you need from the compartment with the other hand.

I don't think gas struts will actually hold the bed up very well, while you get whatever it is you are looking for.
(not to mention how many times I have hit my head on the plywood)

So my thought is to cut out a large section of the finish board that is covering the frame...
add some reinforcing framing and a hinged door that swings out...in order to get to the under bed compartment.

Has anyone out there done this?
If so ...where did you find a cabinet door that matches the wood finish in the camper
and how did you finish the edge of the framing around the door opening?

If anyone has done this....please send details and some photos.
Your thought and comment are welcomed.

2012 Ford F-250 King Ranch Super Crew Cab 4x4
2014 Work & Play 25ULA
Paula Drake, Ken Cooksey, Sunny Delight, Valor & Scarlet Begonia
Jasper Ga.
campnqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 05:25 AM   #2

I installed two plumbing access doors, one for plumbing and one to access storage. They are available online, Lowe's and Home Depot. Depends on the type you prefer. They are made of plastic and accept paint or contact paper. I have not painted mine yet? The wife wanted them to match the wood grain and planned on painting them. After she looked at them she was not in too big a hurry to get out the paint.

This is a pic of the smaller one, 9x6 if my memory is correct. I installed a larger 15x15 for storage access. No picture.
The pic of the plumbing is the back of the hot water heater and the only way in was under the bed and it was a hassle to lift the bed and then lift the plywood. Too much work wrestling the mattress. If you look at the plumbing pic, you can see the panel in the lower left corner. I framed this one in to strengthen the wall around it. Probably not necessary.
The smaller panel was around $10 at Lowe's.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	access plumbing.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	50.0 KB
ID:	7974   Click image for larger version

Name:	plumbing.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	50.4 KB
ID:	7975  
Steve38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 06:37 AM   #3

Hey Campqueen, I like the idea of the access panels, and the ones like Steve posted are nice, and easy to install. However, don't be too quick to dismiss the gas struts. My FEMA Gulf Stream does not have them, but when I was at the RV parts store last week, I stopped briefly to look at a TT on the lot. I lifted up the bed which did have gas struts, and was quite surprised how nicely it lifted up with them... it pretty much held the bed up on it's own. I'm pretty sure this will be one of my upcoming mods so that my wife (who is handicapped) will be able to have access to that storage area. I may even install a prop rod (like used on a car hood) if the gas struts don't hold the panel/bed up themselves.
HomeGrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 11:14 AM   #4

I'm in a similar situation with my Wolf Pup. My plan was to remove one of the upper cabinet doors and take it into a cabinet place to see if they could match it up for me.

I was going to do this as a winter project.

"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that it is nearly impossible to discern if they are genuine." - Abraham Lincoln
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 12:44 PM   #5

Maybe this is a stupid question, but if you cut out a hole, say at the end of the bed ‘frame’, why can’t you use that piece for the access door by hinging it one side and installing a latch on the other? We were thinking of doing that, and also at the end of the dinette seat for easier access to the storage area.

Don and Laura + Roo
Chesapeake, VA
VAlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 01:15 PM   #6

I thought about that- and I think you would want a positive stop; meaning the door should be bigger than the opening. I guess you could frame the inside of the opening, but then you are back to trying to colour match that.

"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that it is nearly impossible to discern if they are genuine." - Abraham Lincoln
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 04:22 PM   #7

We have the gas struts in our TBUD and the do a great job.
mrmurph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 04:44 PM   #8
Rav

We have gas struts in our 2012 Shasta and they do the job just fine.
Rav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 05:01 PM   #9

The access panels are better for my set up.
Hard to explain. If you see it, you would understand.
Steve38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 05:56 PM   #10

Mine has gas struts which work well but the storage undernieth is a raised platform because there are 3 drawers at the foot of the bed. Under the platform and beyond the drawers resides a lot of unusable space which I would love to access. I have been thinking of cutting an opening then framing the removed piece to create a door. If someone has done something like this I would love to see some pictures.
Old 09-21-2011, 06:31 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by campnqueen View Post
Hey Y'all, it's been awhile.

Okay so we have this 2010 Graywolf 19RR toy hauler.
The spear tire is under the front bed compartment...not a big deal.

However.. there is sooooo much extra space under the bed to store those little things we just "HAVE" to have when you travel...
you know.. the "stuff" you need but not everyday.

The plywood lifts up (bed mattress sits on top) but it is unwieldy and very heavy for anyone to lift with one hand,
and fish out whatever it is you need from the compartment with the other hand.

I don't think gas struts will actually hold the bed up very well, while you get whatever it is you are looking for.
(not to mention how many times I have hit my head on the plywood)

So my thought is to cut out a large section of the finish board that is covering the frame...
add some reinforcing framing and a hinged door that swings out...in order to get to the under bed compartment.

Has anyone out there done this?
If so ...where did you find a cabinet door that matches the wood finish in the camper
and how did you finish the edge of the framing around the door opening?

If anyone has done this....please send details and some photos.
Your thought and comment are welcomed.
I am in the construction business,and if you take one of your doors into a building center that sells cabinets they will be able to get you a door that matches very closely,if not exactly,the style and color of your door.As for the opening,if the door is a surface mount and not recessed,all you will have to do is cut a hole about 3/4 of an inch smaller both ways than the outside diameter of the door you get and probably add some support to the inside of the storage space along the edges of the opening.Then mount the door with similar hinges to the outside of the opening.
On the other hand our trailer has gas struts that hold the bed up and they make lifting the bed very easy but when you put the bed down it takes quite a bit of force to close it.Good luck with whatever you choose to do.
1968 Pontiac Le Mans
Malco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 08:43 PM   #12
Anacortesians

Lift the bed up in the middle of the end that rises using a fish scale or a luggage scale. Then you know how much lift you need. Get lifting units that give that much force (divided by two if you're going to put one each side)at about 1/3 of the way from closed

If you have on-board compressed air, a couple of air cylinders would do the job. Not sure I'd get into hydraulics, but maybe even a couple of electric jacks would work.

After moving from a Class C to a basement model Class A we've got more storage volume that we know what to do with, so under the QS bed isn't used for much. Two bays under the floor are empty.

Tags
bed