Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-13-2012, 09:48 AM   #1
Winnipeg,Manitoba-Canada

Exclamation Upgading my axle - Vibe 6504

Bought my VCROSS 6504 last month "site unseen" from a dealership in the U.S. and had it delivered to Canada. I was a bit concerned with the Vehicle information sticker documenting almost no cargo carring capacity and a dry load slightly above the single axle rating of 3500 lbs.

I took it in to an independant trailer manufacturer here in Winnipeg as per web link below.

Saturn Industries - Manitoba's only full service rigging shop and custom trailer manufacturer

They were also quite surprised at the axle chosen to be installed on the unit, not to mention the limited load rating on the tires (the combined rating of 3400 lbs) only barely would provide support for an unloaded trailer.

To make a long story short Saturn will be replacing the Lippert 3500 lb axle with a Dexter 6,000 lb axle & hubs and upgrade the rims/tires from the existing 5 bolt 14 inch to a 6 bolt 15 inch 5,000 lb combined rating.

I should be able to recover some the costs by selling of the salvaged brand new 15 inch tires, rims, axles & hubs. The sales staff at Saturn suggested that a lot of people are towing trailers on "borrowed" time from the amount of under rated axles they have seen in trailers that have come in for maintenance.
pdchristensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 10:02 AM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Also you have to remember that your hitch weight is carried by your vehicle which leaves more room for axle rating.
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 10:07 AM   #3
Winnipeg,Manitoba-Canada

I checked my hitch weight when I received the trailer - Decal documented 300lbs. Took the unit to a weigh scale and measured load on axles only (weighed in at over 3400 lbs). This weight was more than the amount documented on decal so I am assuming additional weight was added after leaving the factory. Bottom line is the unit axle was to close to the limits (as suggested by Saturn Industries).
Old 09-13-2012, 10:12 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

I'd be a little cautious of the amount of weight you're loading in. I don't think that the axle rating may be the only limiting factor from increasing the camper's GVWR...it'd be the frame design also.

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 10:18 AM   #5
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdchristensen
I checked my hitch weight when I received the trailer - Decal documented 300lbs. Took the unit to a weigh scale and measured load on axles only (weighed in at over 3400 lbs). This weight was more than the amount documented on decal so I am assuming additional weight was added after leaving the factory. Bottom line is the unit axle was to close to the limits (as suggested by Saturn Industries).
Added weight possibilities.
Propane and tank /s
Battery
Microwave
Tv
Old 09-13-2012, 10:21 AM   #6
Winnipeg,Manitoba-Canada

Saturn Industries advised the frame is good for weight in excess of 6,000 lbs. I think they are the right company to evaluate the trailer frame,,,as they build them.
Old 09-13-2012, 10:46 AM   #7
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

What is the advertised and actual specs on the trailer ?
Old 09-13-2012, 10:56 AM   #8
Winnipeg,Manitoba-Canada

Manufacturer data on unit - Hitch weight 295 lbs, Dry Weight 3,284 lbs, Cargo Carry Capacity 511 lbs provided by dealer prior to my purchase.

Trailer delivered at Hitch weight 300 lbs, Dry Weigh 3,490 lbs, Cargo Carry Capacity 201 lbs.
Old 09-13-2012, 12:05 PM   #9

I have a 6501 vibe, my tires are rated for 1760 each 3520 total. Are your tires not C rated? I Know that forest river reduced the GVWR just after I purchased mine. My CCC was listed at 1200 lbs but now it is listed at 966 lbs. As there are no options on this trailer I am surprised that your unit came in so heavy, mine weighs 3300 lbs ready for camping, which is 450 over the yellow sticker. I'm not sure why you CCC is listed at 200 lbs, the GVWR on the forest river web is 3795 so subtract your 3490 should be 305 lbs, still not alot. I must say I don't under stand you weights, you said the axel was over 3400 lbs and I'm guessing the hitch is around 300 for a total unloaded weight of 3700 lbs , do you have a total unloaded weight?? Looking at how my unit is put together I would not go much above the rated GVWR, I know you have had the profestionals look at it but the metal used is thin and the welds don't look geat to me.

Current: 2019 Sunseeker 2290S
Previous (2012-2016): 2012 Vibe 6501
1 Prospector Canoe, 2 Mtn. Bikes & 4 Hiking Boots
Happy Vibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 12:33 PM   #10
Winnipeg,Manitoba-Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Vibe View Post
I have a 6501 vibe, my tires are rated for 1760 each 3520 total. Are your tires not C rated? I Know that forest river reduced the GVWR just after I purchased mine. My CCC was listed at 1200 lbs but now it is listed at 966 lbs. As there are no options on this trailer I am surprised that your unit came in so heavy, mine weighs 3300 lbs ready for camping, which is 450 over the yellow sticker. I'm not sure why you CCC is listed at 200 lbs, the GVWR on the forest river web is 3795 so subtract your 3490 should be 305 lbs, still not alot. I must say I don't under stand you weights, you said the axel was over 3400 lbs and I'm guessing the hitch is around 300 for a total unloaded weight of 3700 lbs , do you have a total unloaded weight?? Looking at how my unit is put together I would not go much above the rated GVWR, I know you have had the profestionals look at it but the metal used is thin and the welds don't look geat to me.
Good to connect with a fellow Canadian VIBE owner...Happy Vibe.
My existing tires were the "C" load rated Triangle brand tires (1760 lbs rated at full inflation), however that barely meets my load requirements.
I took my trailer (unloaded) to the weigh scale and measured the axle/tire load at over 3400 lbs. So I am more than happy to upgrade to an "E" load rated tire which will give me a huge buffer at 5,000 lbs combined load rating.

Happy Vibe - What welds were you refering to ? the welds holding the axle bracket to the axle ?
Old 09-13-2012, 01:30 PM   #11

Not a welder, but some of the welds on the cross C beams had holes and in general looked very rushed, hard to tell thru the paint put at some spots it looks like the weld did not get hot enough to melt the metal. My just be my unit as I believe it was one of the first built.
They missed one of the bolts holding the trailer body to the frame.
Having the tire barely meet the load of the trailer seems to be almost standard in the industry.
They seem to add up the total weight the tires can carry at max pressure add some for hitch weight and thats your GVWR.
The GVWR on my trailer could only be reached if I had the full 3500 on the axel and 600 on the hitch

Current: 2019 Sunseeker 2290S
Previous (2012-2016): 2012 Vibe 6501
1 Prospector Canoe, 2 Mtn. Bikes & 4 Hiking Boots
Happy Vibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 01:42 PM   #12
Winnipeg,Manitoba-Canada

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Vibe View Post
Not a welder, but some of the welds on the cross C beams had holes and in general looked very rushed, hard to tell thru the paint put at some spots it looks like the weld did not get hot enough to melt the metal. My just be my unit as I believe it was one of the first built.
They missed one of the bolts holding the trailer body to the frame.
Saturn had a look at my frame, and did not seem to have too many concerns. I will have to take a closer look at the frame when I get the modified unit back. I assume that Forest River does not manufacture the frame ? Would it not be one of the Chassis Manufacturers listed on there "Components List" website link ? I will have to look for a manufacturers label on my frame.
Old 08-27-2018, 05:58 PM   #13

I know this is a long shot and an old thread, but what is the part number on you upgrade dexter axle? And if possible some pics of the mounting install.
Thanks!
Lawn Dart is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
axle