Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-09-2018, 12:41 PM   #21
Frog-Toberfest Organizer

The PSI stamp is on the inside of the wheel correct? So you have to remove the tire in order to see the stamp?
Andersen Ultimate Aluminum fifth wheel hitch V2
Days camped '16=43, '17=47, '18=57 '19=47 '20=47 '21=64 '22=62 '23=72 '24=0
Electra glide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 01:35 PM   #22
Just A Member

I just changed to these GY tires from the same ones you have and also have the same brand wheels. I could not find a PSI rating on my rim either but it was stamped for 2830 max lbs. I found this GY chart on their website. My scaled weight is 8900 lbs. and I am running 70 PSI in each tire but my rims can handle the 80 max PSI also.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	GY ENDURANCE TIRE INF CHART.JPG
Views:	364
Size:	104.7 KB
ID:	188723  
2013 Silverado 1500 4x4 6.2L Max Tow
EDABEUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 02:01 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electra glide View Post
The PSI stamp is on the inside of the wheel correct? So you have to remove the tire in order to see the stamp?
If you have a spare tire that's the same as those on the ground, then just check back (axle side) of the wheel. That's what I did. My wheel had no psi stamp on it, only the 2600 max weight.
kisatchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 02:08 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDABEUT View Post
I just changed to these GY tires from the same ones you have and also have the same brand wheels. I could not find a PSI rating on my rim either but it was stamped for 2830 max lbs. I found this GY chart on their website. My scaled weight is 8900 lbs. and I am running 70 PSI in each tire but my rims can handle the 80 max PSI also.
Thanks EDABEUT. My wheels were stamped 2600 lbs. so I'm stuck with my D tires for the time being. I want the extra load carrying capacity so I'll have to get the same wheels you have for my E tires.
kisatchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 03:40 PM   #25

Just because you put an E rated tire on the existing rim, does not mean you have to carry #2600 on the wheel.
Go to the loading/inflation chart for the E rated tire you’re thinking of buying, and inflate the tire to a pressure that is needed to carry the weight your current setup requires.
For instance, my E rated tires will carry as much weight as the TT is designed to carry, at #62. At #62psi, the tires will carry #2300 each. The axles are only rated for 4K each, so even at #62, I have more tire then is required. A cushion of sorts.
The E rated tire is a much stiffer tire. I don’t have to inflate it to the max(#80psi), to have a much better riding and performing tire, then the C rated tires I had on mine, with the C rated tires inflated to a max cold inflation of #50.
katkt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 04:01 PM   #26

The P-rated radials on your car are rarely inflated to maximum pressure as passenger car tires are designed to provide a soft ride as a lower pressure than they can hold. Don't be fooled into thinking your trailer tires can be run under-inflated because they're radial construction.

Special Trailer (ST) tires should ALWAYS be inflated to the maximum pressure listed on the tire. They should not flex. ST tire construction is vastly different than the P-radials on your car and any flexing of the ST sidewall will generate significant heat as they flex internally. Even if you put higher rated tires on the trailer they still need max pressure. Under-inflation is the prime cause of ST tire blowouts.

Google is your friend. First sentence of the "expert reply" says (of course) : "I can end this debate for you real fast! Trailer tires, which will have an ST in front of the size, should always be inflated to the maximum psi indicated on the tire. ."

-- Chuck
Chuck_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 04:33 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by katkt View Post
Just because you put an E rated tire on the existing rim, does not mean you have to carry #2600 on the wheel.
Go to the loading/inflation chart for the E rated tire you’re thinking of buying, and inflate the tire to a pressure that is needed to carry the weight your current setup requires.
For instance, my E rated tires will carry as much weight as the TT is designed to carry, at #62. At #62psi, the tires will carry #2300 each. The axles are only rated for 4K each, so even at #62, I have more tire then is required. A cushion of sorts.
The E rated tire is a much stiffer tire. I don’t have to inflate it to the max(#80psi), to have a much better riding and performing tire, then the C rated tires I had on mine, with the C rated tires inflated to a max cold inflation of #50.

^^^this

2016 F250 2WD CC SB XLT 6.2 3,295 lb payload cap.
2014 Salem Hemisphere 282RK 8k lbs loaded, Equal-i-zer WDH, TST 507 TPMS
2021: 35 nights already booked so far
Teamfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 04:58 PM   #28

^^^ the quoted part is dead wrong.

ST tires need maximum sidewall pressure all the time. No one is riding in the trailer. Fitting "oversize" tires is rarely necessary.

-- Chuck
Old 10-09-2018, 05:07 PM   #29
Just A Member

You believe everything you read on the internet??? I called GY after I bought these tires with this exact question. They said the tires are constucted so they do not need to be run at max PSI and referred me to their tire inflation chart. They guarantee these tires so I tend to believe them. I also asked if inflation pressures affect max speed rating and after laughing they said no it does not. If you go to the GY website you can find the inflation charts for all their tires just like the one I posted.
Old 10-09-2018, 05:09 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck_S View Post
The P-rated radials on your car are rarely inflated to maximum pressure as passenger car tires are designed to provide a soft ride as a lower pressure than they can hold. Don't be fooled into thinking your trailer tires can be run under-inflated because they're radial construction.

Special Trailer (ST) tires should ALWAYS be inflated to the maximum pressure listed on the tire. They should not flex. ST tire construction is vastly different than the P-radials on your car and any flexing of the ST sidewall will generate significant heat as they flex internally. Even if you put higher rated tires on the trailer they still need max pressure. Under-inflation is the prime cause of ST tire blowouts.

Google is your friend. First sentence of the "expert reply" says (of course) : "I can end this debate for you real fast! Trailer tires, which will have an ST in front of the size, should always be inflated to the maximum psi indicated on the tire. ."

-- Chuck
Goodyear is my friend...
https://www.goodyearrvtires.com/pdfs/rv_inflation.pdf
Old 10-09-2018, 06:00 PM   #31

Quote:
^^^ the quoted part is dead wrong.

ST tires need maximum sidewall pressure all the time. No one is riding in the trailer. Fitting "oversize" tires is rarely necessary.

-- Chuck

Nonsense.

If the quoted part is wrong, then why would they even have a loading/inflation chart to help the user determine the best tire pressure, for the expected load?

The max cold pressure, is tied directly to how much weight the tire listed can carry when inflated to that pressure. Simply put, if you plan to carry more weight then a particular tire can carry at its max cold inflation, then you need to upsize.
katkt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 06:01 PM   #32

Run ST Tires under-inflated at your own peril. There are no reasons or benefits with under inflation and plenty of risk.

-- Chuck
Old 10-09-2018, 07:10 PM   #33

If you go from C to E rated tires you don't need 80 lbs of pressure. 65 is plenty. On the flipside if you have an E rated tire as OEM then inflate to 80lbs. The blanket statement that an ST tire must always be inflated to the max pressure is not true if you have gone up in load ratings from OEM.

2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
EQUALIZER E4 1200/12000
lbrjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 07:14 PM   #34
Just A Member

Have you weighed your TT?? I would start there at a Cat scale. You can get the weight on each axle to see if it's close to your 2600 max per tire. May not need to upgrade rim's. You only need to have the correct PSI for your max weight per axle/2. You can run the PSI needed for max axle weight and have enough extra safety cushion. If you want to be more exact have each tire weighed with portable scales. I did not need E rated tires but Endurance in my size only comes in E. I wanted the safety margin of the speed rating since the speed limit was raised to 80 and everyone now drives 90 I am getting nervous driving below 70 and not get rear ended by someone texting.
Old 10-09-2018, 07:16 PM   #35

Quote:
Run ST Tires under-inflated at your own peril. There are no reasons or benefits with under inflation and plenty of risk.

-- Chuck

There is a reason to follow the MFG published inflation chart: my wheels don’t allow 80 psi and I don’t need that much load capacity. I’ve put over 3k miles on the Endurance tires at 65 psi. Even on asphalt on a 90 degree day at 68 mph the tires never got above 90 degrees per the TST monitor nor over 95 degrees using an IR thermometer within minutes of coming off the Interstate. That tells me the tires are not under inflated. I’ve had three TTs and over 40k miles towing on ST tires inflated to the proper load range psi and never a failure. YMMV.

2016 F250 2WD CC SB XLT 6.2 3,295 lb payload cap.
2014 Salem Hemisphere 282RK 8k lbs loaded, Equal-i-zer WDH, TST 507 TPMS
2021: 35 nights already booked so far
Teamfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 07:26 PM   #36
Just A Member

Also the six year warranty is better than most. Here is the other actual tire info. Click image for larger version

Name:	20181009_202137.jpeg
Views:	132
Size:	77.1 KB
ID:	188756
Old 10-09-2018, 07:51 PM   #37
Just A Member

Also don't count out the tires you have. My Constancy tires had over 10000 miles on them. The date code was 05/2014 and my 2015 TT was built in Nov of 2014. I pulled it from Michigan to Texas this summer when it was 102 outside for most of the trip. Tire monitor never showed over 110 temp but psi was 85 at times when cold pressure was 65. I had no issues with these tires and they looked brand new when I took them off. Now the trans temp on truck was a different issue. It got up to 220 and engine temp was up to 230 a few times. Never had a issue though driving 10 hour days. Take care of your tires and you will be fine. Never overload, under inflate for the weight on them and don't hit the curbs when turning [emoji6]
Old 10-15-2018, 06:22 PM   #38

You have nothing to worry about. I replaced my chinabombs after 2 years because they were defective. My tire shop put on 4 new 10ply trailer tires tires. I ask them their opinion and they concurred. Just be safe out on the road! Happy Camping!
Arkansas Windjammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 06:33 PM   #39
J W

Tire pressured

Increasing tire pressure to 80 psi won't hurt your rims I upgrade my tires all the time and I do run the correct tire pressure Don't forget Ford motor company and Firestone and underinflation
J W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 06:56 PM   #40
ENE

X2 what bosky said. And get the all steel valve stems instead of the cheap rubber ones.
ENE is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tire, tires, upgrade