Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-03-2018, 07:04 AM   #1

Upgrade From Load Range D to E Tires

My Coachmen Apex trailer came equipped with Constancy ST225/75R15 D tires. I'd like to get rid of this Chinese made tires and upgrade to Goodyear Endurance load range E tires. My question is: will my wheels stand up to the increase in psi from 65 to the 80 required for the E tires. I'm assuming that the wheels are also made in China and worry that they may not stand up to the higher pressure. Any ideas on this? Thanks
kisatchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 07:11 AM   #2

Likely no. I did the same upgrade to Endurance tires but still run 65 psi as that still provides the load capacity my TT requires. Great improvement in towing.

2016 F250 2WD CC SB XLT 6.2 3,295 lb payload cap.
2014 Salem Hemisphere 282RK 8k lbs loaded, Equal-i-zer WDH, TST 507 TPMS
2021: 35 nights already booked so far
Teamfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 07:27 AM   #3

No need to put them at 80. 80 is simply the manufacturers max cold inflation. Look for a load/inflation chart for that particular tire, and go from there. The tires themselves are made stiffer, so unlike the old D’s, you won’t have to have them at max.

I recently upgraded my C rated TT tires to an E rated 10 ply. Looking at the loading chart, shows each tire can carry #2300 at just 60psi. The total is #9200. That’s more weight then my axles are rated to carry, and less then any possible conflicts with a wheel that may not be rated for 80psi.
My wheels are just a 5 lug aluminum, so I only aired them to 62psi cold. It made a huge difference over the C tires.
katkt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 07:37 AM   #4
WFD

Opinions will differ on this, but while you are at it, have the wheels balanced at the same time as you swap out the tires. There is a lot riding on our trailer tires and just because you aren't sitting in the trailer when driving or feeling the effects since you aren't "driving" it, doesn't mean they shouldn't be balanced. You want top performance and longevity from your tires, spend the couple dollars to balance them.
Old 10-03-2018, 08:15 AM   #5
llr

i agree with using the load inflation charts. However keep in mind that almost no trailer will have the same weight on all the tires, so take the axles weight and divide by the number of tires then add 10-20% and use that to determine the air pressure to run.

If you have not been to a scale use the GVWR-tongue weight to get the axle weight.
TV 2024 F350 DRW - on order
Prior TV 2017 F150 6.5' bed 3.5 Eco-boost Max tow 1800lbs payload
llr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 08:19 AM   #6

There have been threads before that said YES they will standup to those pressures...

Lionshead is the name of the supplier of rims and tires to FR. They do have a website. Others have reported that when contacted they said YES, they will handle 80PSI... they supply the same rims for a wide range of trailers.

Just be sure that you upgrade from rubber stems to metal valve stems if you have the rubber ones now.

65 PSI to 80 PSI is not all that great of a pressure increase...

one thing you will notice about the GY Endurance is that they are a heavier tire with a much stiffer sidewall, less prone to flexing, which give truer tracking behind your TV, with less chance for sway due to sidewall flex...

I went from range C to D and I run 62# of pressure...

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 08:57 AM   #7
D W

Don't know anything about LIONSHEAD, but my rig came equipped with DEXSTAR branded wheels, 15X6JJ, 6-5.5 , rated at 2830 @ 80 PSI.
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 09:54 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsdata View Post
There have been threads before that said YES they will standup to those pressures...

Lionshead is the name of the supplier of rims and tires to FR. They do have a website. Others have reported that when contacted they said YES, they will handle 80PSI... they supply the same rims for a wide range of trailers.

Just be sure that you upgrade from rubber stems to metal valve stems if you have the rubber ones now.

65 PSI to 80 PSI is not all that great of a pressure increase...

one thing you will notice about the GY Endurance is that they are a heavier tire with a much stiffer sidewall, less prone to flexing, which give truer tracking behind your TV, with less chance for sway due to sidewall flex...

I went from range C to D and I run 62# of pressure...

Thank you for this. I’d seen the discussions and questions, but not a definitive answer.
katkt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 12:46 PM   #9

My original tires were D rated and at 65psi 2540lbs which were right at max with loaded trailer. bought new tires E rated and at 80psi 2840lbs which puts me at 11360lbs max and well below trailer max weight. The rims are Hispec with a max of 2840lbs for the model I have but doesn't show max inflation I'm thinking it would have to be 80 because of max weight.

2001 Ford F-350 DRW 7.3
2011 25 RL Wildcat
former fiver 1976 Fourwinds had for 35 years
onetonford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 02:15 PM   #10

I believe the pressure rating is stamped on the inside of the rim
boaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 09:32 PM   #11

The pressure rating is stamped on the inner side of the wheel. I went from a D load rated Towmax(Chinese junk) to a E load rated Maxxis 8008. I run 80 psi in the Maxxis. My 5th wheel is a Prime Time Crusader Lite with the factory rims installed.
Walholler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 10:12 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walholler View Post
The pressure rating is stamped on the inner side of the wheel. I went from a D load rated Towmax(Chinese junk) to a E load rated Maxxis 8008. I run 80 psi in the Maxxis. My 5th wheel is a Prime Time Crusader Lite with the factory rims installed.
I've checked all around the back of the rim where they show weight rating and cannot find anything that is pressure. I've also contacted Hi Spec and they have not replied back.

2001 Ford F-350 DRW 7.3
2011 25 RL Wildcat
former fiver 1976 Fourwinds had for 35 years
onetonford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 06:57 AM   #13

Thanks guys for your input. I emailed Lionshead to see if they supplied wheels for my particular unit and if wheels can stand the extra pressure. I'll also check the backside of the wheel for a pressure rating. Nothing is stamped on the front of the wheel. According to a label on the outside of the trailer, the wheel is a 15x6JJ. Wonder what the JJ stands for?
Old 10-04-2018, 07:30 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by kisatchie View Post
Thanks guys for your input. I emailed Lionshead to see if they supplied wheels for my particular unit and if wheels can stand the extra pressure. I'll also check the backside of the wheel for a pressure rating. Nothing is stamped on the front of the wheel. According to a label on the outside of the trailer, the wheel is a 15x6JJ. Wonder what the JJ stands for?
LionsHead has no way of knowing what Wheel and Tire the MFG installed on your unit! Youroo! !
Old 10-04-2018, 10:32 AM   #15
D W

Quote:
The "JJ" is the wheel/rim contour. In the US "J" is standard for ordinary automobiles, and "JJ" is common to 4x4's.
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 11:51 AM   #16

Quote:
My Coachmen Apex trailer came equipped with Constancy ST225/75R15 D tires. I'd like to get rid of this Chinese made tires and upgrade to Goodyear Endurance load range E tires. My question is: will my wheels stand up to the increase in psi from 65 to the 80 required for the E tires. I'm assuming that the wheels are also made in China and worry that they may not stand up to the higher pressure. Any ideas on this? Thanks
you need to look and see what the stamped rating is on the wheel . most likely it's rated 2830 which is fine for the e load rating and 80 psi . if they have a psi stamp of 65 psi then the weight rating is only that of a lower d rated weight . 15 psi will not blow a wheel but going over on weight will
MR.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 04:50 PM   #17

From info I received today it sounds like my particular wheel can withstand the added psi, but will try to find the pressure rating on the wheel for a little extra peace of mind. Thanks guys.
Old 10-04-2018, 05:48 PM   #18

Quote:
From info I received today it sounds like my particular wheel can withstand the added psi, but will try to find the pressure rating on the wheel for a little extra peace of mind. Thanks guys.
if they told you it can hold the weight on a e load then the psi doesn't mean squat . this is a weight thing not a psi thing.

it's kind of funny to think that 15 psi will blow a rim . who ever started putting psi rating on their wheels really confused people
MR.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 07:55 PM   #19

Y'all know that the max weight rating of the tire is only good if the tires are inflated to the max cold psi. If they are not fully inflated, they will not hold the max weight. Under or over inflated tires will cause excessive wear and the heat will cause the tire to break its laminated layers and bubble. 65psi on tires rated for 80 psi at max weight will eventually fail if loaded to the max rated weight. Just know what you are doing and why if you run less psi.
Old 10-09-2018, 12:32 PM   #20

Finally had a chance to check the max load rating stamped on the backside of the wheels and they can carry only 2600 lbs., which would accommodate the load range D (65 psi) tires I have on them now. So, when I do upgrade to load range E tires I'll also upgrade the wheels to carry more weight. In the meantime I'll make sure tire pressures are correct at all times and I'm not overloaded and hopefully I won't have a problem with them until I can make the upgrade.

Tags
tire, tires, upgrade