Old 04-06-2008, 12:31 PM   #1
Upgrade speakers?

I just brought home our new 08 Surveyor 233T.

I was playing with the built in stereo system/CD player, and I noticed the speakers they have installed are TERRIBLE!

I'm an audiophile and I immediately thought about modding.

Has anyone tried to upgrade those speakers in the ceiling? Are they pretty much like automotive speakers, and I could easily upgrade them?

If so, what kind of clearances are there above the mount? Are the wire attachments the simple slip on type.

Any suggestions would be helpful.

Trailer - 08 Surveyor 233T
Tow Vehicle - 07 Honda Ridgeline w/factory tow package
3DCadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 01:20 PM   #2
sorry, mine are surface mount, the small plastic speakers. i have a wildwood LE doesnt have any flush mounted in ceiling. mine does have som round speakers on the outside of the camper. they seem to be functional, not bose, but produce decent sound. I must admit we have used them for cds with good success, the radio sounds fair, some crackling a times, but it may have been the reception.

hope you receive some good feedback to help you

wildwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 12:52 PM   #3
Our Surveyor SV291 speakers sound very good. I'm not thrilled with the placement, but nothing I can do about that. I have my DVD player running thru the system but with a speaker 8 inches from the front of the TV, the Surround sound is kind of a mute point. It sounds pretty good if you're laying in bed watching TV,but anywhere else in the camper and it seems like all the sound is right there at the TV.
bamasurveyor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 01:52 PM   #4
Being an audiophile and bit of a tech geek myself, I would say 'modify away', with the following precautions:

1. Make sure that the speakers you buy to replace the existing ones have the same ohms rating and wattage rating. The later is probably not an issue, as you are correct that the speakers used are quite cheap sounding, and probably are designed to handle like 5 watts apiece.

2. It would be good if the connectors match up, but if not you could power down the stereo, trim the existing connectors and then install the new speakers. Still, speaker connectors are pretty standardized, so this shouldnt be a problem.

3. Car stereo speakers are a good idea. There are many brands to choose from, different ohm ratings and wattage ratings, and just about ANY car stereo speaker would have superior sound, IMHO.

4. I agree with the reply that says that the outdoor speakers are pretty good - they are better than the indooor speakers. And probably weatherproof, too. I would not readily replace these unless needed, and then with something superior.

But, your idea is a good one, and now you have me inspired to do likewise... if I can get my wife to let me spend the $$$.
walk_the_walk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 01:04 PM   #5
We recently purchased a 08 Surveyor 291... It has the Concertone Stereo without Surround sound, etc. It is just a simple Radio, CD, Aux stereo.

The four roof mounted speakers sounded terrible. Not much sound to them at all, no bass unless bass booster was turned on, etc.

We did order the outdoor speaker package and they do sound somewhat better.

Either way, though, the whole system isn't very impressive at all.

Did some checking into the manual and found that the stereo is rated for 5W to each speaker with 10% THD. That folks, is a pretty poor system.

Needless to say, I will be searching for an alternative, or bringing something from the house along.

Mind you, this has to be the only complaint about the trailer I have. We are very, very taken with it!

I will let everyone know what I find...
slpybeartx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 03:22 AM   #6
I would say poor stock radios are pretty typical of autos and campers. I never understood how a car dealer charges $600 for a typical am/fm cd radio that is GARBAGE when for that same $600 you can go to anycar audio shop and get an awesome head unit for the money. Forest River with this Concertone junk is just as bad. They have to know that they are putting junk into their trailers which is a shame because everything else they do seems to be really good. At least they could do is if they insist on using the lowest quality radio they can find is make is easier to replace with something decent if the camper owner wants to upgrade.
An even better money making idea would be to offer a Bose system at a premium price right from the factory. It's not in my price range but i'm sure somebody buying a $65,000 5th wheel wouldnt have a problem dropping another grand on a tru surround sound stereo.
eandsphotography is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 09:46 AM   #7

I disagree a little. Seems the stock radios on cars has gotten better over the years. My stereo in my Cherokee looks like a home unit dvd player. Curtis I think. Sounds okay. But it only works when the generator is on. What would it take to run from the battery?
Seasonal site camping
steveqvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 12:00 AM   #8
We have a Pioneer mini component system that is going to find its way into the Concertone space very soon!

And one little inverter is all you need to power it off battery... We have a "Cig lighter" plug nearbye for the TV anyway...
Nights camped in 2010 = 21 nights

2008 Chevy CCab 5.3L 4WD Z71
2008 FR Surveyor 291
Champion Genset
Slpybear, Mrs Slpybear, Three Cubs
slpybeartx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 04:23 AM   #9
We have a Chevy Trail Blazer 07 LT model and it came with a 6 speaker Bose system and a 6 Disc CD player, this of course is an up grade, but the standard stereo system in GM's still sound very good. If I am not mistaken I think that the standard speakers in a car are 4 ohm, at least they were the last time I change out a set..... Back in the day when we had 8 Tracks!

rockwood06 is offline   Reply With Quote