Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-03-2018, 08:56 AM   #1

Upgrade to Aluminum Bumper?

Has anyone installed one of these yet?
https://mount-n-lock.com/mnl-cargo-p...ent-bumper-kit

Seems like it could solve several issues (weight of bikes, end caps, corrosion, etc.).

We have a 2018 Shamrock 183 and I am seriously considering getting this bumper, but wanted to see if anyone else has installed and what their experience might have been.

Thanks!
Campgonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 09:07 AM   #2

I was looking through the link and came upon the picture with the rack loaded with sacks of cement. I would be very surprised if it could withstand that much weight bouncing down the road.
ard58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 09:18 AM   #3

If its extruded/tempered why not?
Old 08-03-2018, 09:24 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

My concern would be the actual frame. Sure, the bumper itself might be stronger, but it's still an ultra-light's frame you're bolting it to. Not to mention, depending on how the old bumper is attached, if you need to cut off any welds, there's a chance it will void the frame's warranty.
Old 08-03-2018, 01:05 PM   #5

Interesting i need a new bumper soon anyway after meeting a light pole . I will not be hauling concrete but that was for testing of the brackets anyway . I like it
tking01_2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 01:12 PM   #6

Sounds like a good replacement!
Old 08-03-2018, 01:22 PM   #7

I also met a concrete lamp base with my thin oem bumper. I was barely moving and it crumpled like tin foil.

Went to a metal supplier and had them cut me an appropriate length of 4x4x1/8" square tubing.

Then went to a welding shop and had them weld it to the frame with extra supports. Painted it.

The end caps still fit and it will support a reasonable amount of weight. And it was a LOT cheaper and stronger than any pre-made option.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 03:18 PM   #8

Bumper

I welded additional supports on the back of my single axle Ultra Lite- 16'. I welded a 2" receiver to that to carry a good quality bike rack. I had just enough set-back to clear spare. Adding 150 Lb. on the back of 3500 LB. trailer created a "pogo effect". Also changed the way the trailer towed due to lighter hitch weight from leverage of rack on the back reciever. After 1 trip and watching the bikes bounce from following the trailer, decided not a great idea.
I currently have Safety Strut brackets($65) bolted on our new trailer tandem axle ,w/ same bike rack and bikes, no bounce works great. I have seen these Aluminium SS bumpers and they are well made and an improvement over the factory bumpers. Factory bumper is rated for 300 lb. and w/ the Safety Strut brackets, set-up has not moved in over 4K miles. I would not want to put any 500 Lb. on the back, even if the bumper will hold it.
Tundra 2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 05:32 PM   #9

Yea, aluminum bumpers look nice, yet if not included with my RV purchase I wouldn’t walk across the street to pick one up for free. It is only a bumper, there are so many more important things that matter in life. My bicycles are carried in the 500-pound receiver hitch, not the bumper. Plus, steel is much stronger than aluminum any day of the week. Paint, keep the paint good and rust and corrosion are no more likely with steel than aluminum. Unless aluminum is anodized, it will corrode like crazy.
Splitshaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 10:52 PM   #10

I am also looking to utilize the rear bumper. Mine has a full size spare mounted to it that must way 30lbs or so. I do notsee why I could not move spare to an under mount and put my 48lb Westinghouse 2500 generator on there. That woukd also let me run the gene and A/C while driving to cool down the inside that last hour of road time.

I plan on removing spare, bracket and cover and weigh them first.

Mike
nozzano22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 07:50 AM   #11

Bumper

Check w/ MFG> most bumpers are rated for 300 LB. I would not put that much on it. I added the reinforcement brackets. I would have moved the spare to under mountbut, on my trailer it would be a clearance issue. I put the spare in the back of the truck when I used my reciever bike rack. No room w/ spare there. You should be fine w/ spare and 40 lb. generator if you have room, just do not block tail lights.m
Tundra 2014 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aluminum, upgrade