Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-16-2015, 05:30 AM   #1

Upgrade to LED bulbs

I'm looking to upgrade all my bulbs to LED and would be interested in anyone's help who has already done this. Looking on Amazon there are multiple choices but what Lumens would I look for and I realize I have to make sure of the socket type. The factory bulbs get too hot and I don't like leaving them on at night whilst sitting around the fire.

Any help is appreciated.

Dave
NJLOAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 09:35 AM   #2
Site Team

I've replaced all the 921 lamps in the last two RV's we've owned and am very pleased with them, both power and heat wise.

In the first one I did, I used the 42-SMD T15 white bulbs and was pleased with them. They weren't quite as bright as the 921's but were plenty bright.

In the RV we have now, I replaced the 921 lamps with 24-5050 SMD T10 Cool White bulbs. They are a little brighter than the 921 lamps and provide a lot of light.

I like the cool white color lamps (5000 to 7000şk), but some people prefer the warm white color (2500 to 3000şk), which is closer to the color of incandescent bulbs.

If you're not sure which color you like I suggest buying a couple of the cool white bulbs first and give them a try.
Old 09-16-2015, 09:48 AM   #3

Do yourself a favor and check (research) M4 Products. I replaced every bulb in my rig this past spring (37 bulbs). I have many friends that have gone the route of the 'internet specials' for price reasons, and found those bulbs flicker, have far less lumens, don't last, and within a week or so go so blue you feel like your in a warehouse with those shop lights.
Steve at M4 knows his stuff and will answer any questions about how many lumens you will get from each bulb, possible alternate bulbs that would work better for your needs etc.
And best of all, any issues you have, you call and they overnight you a replacement no questions asked.
(Not to mention your order is shipped 2 day mail anyway)

I went with the natural white (middle of temps) and although they are more white that an incandescent, they are much brighter and of course use FAR less battery than incandescent. Here's what I went with http://www.m4products.com/elite-seri...ung-5630-leds/ keep in mind too the quality LED will not get hot, the cheap ones will. Another perk is if you order more than 10 bulbs you get a 10% discount on your order. Check em out.
1 Ol' Lady
3 Girls
1 Boy
JCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 03:08 PM   #4

I didn't use bulbs, I used the little panels I got on ebay for about $3 each. All of the lights in my Mirada are now LEDs.

Another advantage is I added dimmers to several of them, AND by placing a small resistor in a couple of the fixtures, I now have OFF-LO-MED-HIGH

Upgrading coach lights to LEDs | 2001 Coachmen Mirada 300QB

Old 09-17-2015, 12:29 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCamper View Post
Do yourself a favor and check (research) M4 Products. I replaced every bulb in my rig this past spring (37 bulbs). I have many friends that have gone the route of the 'internet specials' for price reasons, and found those bulbs flicker, have far less lumens, don't last, and within a week or so go so blue you feel like your in a warehouse with those shop lights.
Steve at M4 knows his stuff and will answer any questions about how many lumens you will get from each bulb, possible alternate bulbs that would work better for your needs etc.
And best of all, any issues you have, you call and they overnight you a replacement no questions asked.
(Not to mention your order is shipped 2 day mail anyway)

I went with the natural white (middle of temps) and although they are more white that an incandescent, they are much brighter and of course use FAR less battery than incandescent. Here's what I went with Elite Series Retrofit Bulb keep in mind too the quality LED will not get hot, the cheap ones will. Another perk is if you order more than 10 bulbs you get a 10% discount on your order. Check em out.
x2 on M4 - they also allow you to try different colors (nat white vs cool white) of the same bulb and you can return the ones you don't want/need. Got full credit back once I mailed back the ones we didn't like.

RVGEEKS5 will get you a 5% discount on your entire order (if you don't want to order 10 bulbs)

Garren
Edgar & Carlos (felines)
RIP Sophie, the sweetest cat ever.
ChrisAndGarren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 12:37 PM   #6
CC4

Upgrade to LED bulbs

Check out M4 products in California. I upgraded my Tracer Air 250 with a combination of warm and cool bulbs (11+11). Best thing I've done. Much nicer with the cool bulbs in workspaces and the warm bulbs over beds and relaxation zones. I gave all the remaining bulbs to a friend who had bulb blow-out problems with his trailer. He's now setup on a permanent powered lot while I prefer to travel around to different locations. I figure I get an extra 2 days on battery with the LED over the standard bulbs shipped with the trailer.
CC4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 03:14 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama Rambler View Post
I've replaced all the 921 lamps in the last two RV's we've owned and am very pleased with them, both power and heat wise.

In the first one I did, I used the 42-SMD T15 white bulbs and was pleased with them. They weren't quite as bright as the 921's but were plenty bright.

In the RV we have now, I replaced the 921 lamps with 24-5050 SMD T10 Cool White bulbs. They are a little brighter than the 921 lamps and provide a lot of light.

I like the cool white color lamps (5000 to 7000şk), but some people prefer the warm white color (2500 to 3000şk), which is closer to the color of incandescent bulbs.

If you're not sure which color you like I suggest buying a couple of the cool white bulbs first and give them a try.
What he said. And I would search eBay for the best price. If you can stand the bright white 6000 or 7000, there are some good cheap deals on eBay buying 10 or 20 at a time. During our last club campout we helped three other campers order their bulbs over their cell phone while we were sitting in camp.
Tom48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 04:07 PM   #8
Who Dares, Wins

I put these in our trailer:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ilpage_o04_s01

Been in there for two years now. They are the bright (cool) white.

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 04:17 PM   #9

I just replaced all of me 921's and 1141's in my Toy Hauler and glad I did. Each of the sockets of the 921's had brown overheated marks on the sockets. I have used them very little less than 4 hours each. When they were in use with the non-LED's the heat generated was to me to great. The LEDS are running much cooler. I bought mine from Camping World.
racenviper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 07:53 PM   #10

Sure very easy but you will need to do a little bit of reading and i have the perfect place to go (LED light bulb, LED light bulbs for home use and cars) they have all the info you need and the best pricing anywhere i could find anywhere.
Happy shopping and Happy Camping
P.S. i did mine 5 yrs ago and will never look back love them for the lack of power use, the lack of heat, and the price (if you get them from (LED light bulb, LED light bulbs for home use and cars)
silverback 35ts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 07:54 PM   #11

M4 Natural Light bulbs are the best I havevtried. Another downside of cheap LEDs is increased interference (electronic noise). If you put them in the lights, which are in the same circuit as your tv preamp, you will get very few to no tv channels.
Never Enough Time Camping!!
ben31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 09:09 PM   #12

QUOTE I went with the natural white (middle of temps) and although they are more white that an incandescent, they are much brighter and of course use FAR less battery than incandescent. Here's what I went with http://www.m4products.com/elite-seri...ung-5630-leds/ keep in mind too the quality LED will not get hot, the cheap ones will.END QUOTE
i ordered some today from M4 in California, and 2 hours later got notice they are already in the mail to me. They also mentioned in email that they would take back if not the right color, etc within a week or so.
Old 09-17-2015, 09:41 PM   #13

I upgraded all the interior lights with warm whites except over the kitchen counter , those were brite white. Then, moveing to the outside at the rear i replaced the totally anemic combo taillights with led ovals and a 17" led strip up the vertical edge of the ramp frame,I also added a led marker light on the end of the bumper to function as a stop/turn signal only.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1997.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	393.1 KB
ID:	89031   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1993.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	355.5 KB
ID:	89032  
trbomax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 11:43 AM   #14

I replaced all of the interior bulbs in my 2011 Georgetown 327DS with LED bulbs by went the DIY route. I purchased 48LED flat panel assemblies that do not include voltage regulators. When I tested them, I discovered that they overheated in the RV because the converter keeps the system voltage at 13.6V. This problem was resolved by installing a DC "buck" regulator in each of the fixtures and setting the output voltage to 11.2V. The regulators were around $3 each and create no interference with other electronics in the RV. Best of all, they fit into the center section of the pancake fixtures which made them easy to install.

One of the fixtures I removed, the one that was "on" more than any other, had a large brown area under it; heat damage to the ceiling from the hot 914 bulbs.

Phil
pmsherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 06:15 PM   #15

led upgrade

I found led on eBay for about 3 each it cost $30 to convert all the inside lamps. The cost from rv dealers was $30 each.
NorSnrub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 06:27 PM   #16

Cabin Bright | Products Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 07:19 AM   #17

Pmsherman, where did you get the panels and regulators?
Never Enough Time Camping!!
ben31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 10:48 AM   #18

Thumbs down Led Upgrade

I think they were out of china. I don't remember exactly but I searched socket type and high output white led. It was at least 2 years ago.
NorSnrub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 04:25 PM   #19

I replaced all the single switch duel 12v bulb fixtures with duel switch LED fixtures. Happy with the added light and ability to control how much light. My battery has thanked me.
LHCAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 05:33 AM   #20

Ben31, very interesting point on the increased interference. My last trip with the factory incandescence bulbs I wasn’t able to watch T.V. running just off the antenna. As soon as I turned off the lights the T.V. picture was fine. I totally forgot about it until I saw your post. I wouldn’t think incandescence bulbs would do this, kind of an annoying situation at best. Did anyone else ever run across this issue? and would better LED’s correct this problem in the future?

Many thanks for all the great replies.
NJLOAD is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
led, upgrade