Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-09-2013, 06:38 PM   #1
daydreaming about camping

upgrade vent fan

Perhaps my biggest disappointment with the choice of components in my Coachmen is the vent fan located in the bathroom. It is tiny and completely ineffective. Especially considering this is the only vent for the entire trailer.

My last trailer had a three speed fantastic fan despite being a pup. It could create a breeze inside the entire trailer.

I want to upgrade the fan. I need some suggestions. So far I have found one company with a fab called the vortex that states it replaces an existing fan. It appears everything else requires replacing the entire roof Mount assembly.

Please share what you have installed and how well it worked.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20130609_181547.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	50.2 KB
ID:	32780  

2013 Coachmen Freedom Express 320BHDS pulled by a 2005 F250 King Ranch CC

A rainy day camping is better than a sunny day at work.
jeeplj8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 06:50 PM   #2

Just installed a MaxxAir fan (with remote control) and it works great. 10 speeds (moves a LOT of air) intake or exhaust, can be used as a ceiling fan with the hatch closed, and has a rain sensor to automatically close if it rains while you are away. You can get it without the remote, but we needed it because of the ceiling height in the kitchen. You do have to remove the old hatch, but it was not difficult, took about an hour to complete.
Sirsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 07:01 PM   #3
Jack of All Trades

I installed the Heng Vortex II fan in our bedroom shortly after we bought the TT, and shortly after they hit the market. I wanted a fan in the bedroom, but didn't want to remove the existing vent (and cause potential damage to the roof and leaks on a rand new trailer).

Installation was really simple, took about 30 minutes. I was lucky that a 12 VDC wire for the lights was right there under the interior vent trim. I just tapped in to it.

As to performance, it moves a decent amount of air, though not as much as the other high priced brands, nor is it as quiet as them, but still you can bairly hear it running.

One feature I really like is that it is reversible. Some nights it really feels good to reverse it and draw in some cool night air.

Rick
ScanGauge, TST 507 TPMS
RJHuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 07:09 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJHuser View Post
I installed the Heng Vortex II fan in our bedroom shortly after we bought the TT, and shortly after they hit the market. I wanted a fan in the bedroom, but didn't want to remove the existing vent (and cause potential damage to the roof and leaks on a rand new trailer).

Installation was really simple, took about 30 minutes. I was lucky that a 12 VDC wire for the lights was right there under the interior vent trim. I just tapped in to it.

As to performance, it moves a decent amount of air, though not as much as the other high priced brands, nor is it as quiet as them, but still you can bairly hear it running.

One feature I really like is that it is reversible. Some nights it really feels good to reverse it and draw in some cool night air.

Rick
Thanks for the info. The question may be is it worth replacing the whole rooftop assembly to get that extra airflow. The vortex is sure priced better.

Old 06-09-2013, 07:33 PM   #5
Denver, CO

I am kinda on the fence on this one. I put a vortex 2 in the bedroom to replace the cheezy one and have a create a breeze OEM in the bathroom. I was not impressed with the switch on the vortex and the flow rate seems lower. IT is noisier also, IMO. We will use the vortex when it is hot, but the create a breeze is definitely a better product. I too was not looking forward to changing the vent, but I do understand it is really not a big deal with modern sealants.

six of one half a dozen of the other.
Old 06-09-2013, 08:38 PM   #6

I replaced my non electric front vent with a create a breeze and never looked back
I had a create a breeze fan in the bathroom and liked its performance.
i used lap sealant to seal the new vent - made a mess so wear old clothes.
I noticed that some of the screws seemed to hold and some did not so maybe a little longer screw may be in store

Just my .02
USMC 91 - 95 - F/A-18 Aviation Ordnance
sherdep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 11:34 AM   #7

wow - so apparently when I post with the mobile app it likes to duplicate the picture, a lot...

I think I am going to go with the Fantastic. We had the create a breeze in our old camper and I was always really impressed with it. That means I have to go with their vent cover as the MaxxAir will not fit the fantastic housing. Weird deal that.

Old 06-11-2013, 11:58 AM   #8
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeplj8 View Post
wow - so apparently when I post with the mobile app it likes to duplicate the picture, a lot...

I think I am going to go with the Fantastic. We had the create a breeze in our old camper and I was always really impressed with it. That means I have to go with their vent cover as the MaxxAir will not fit the fantastic housing. Weird deal that.
User error
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 12:19 PM   #9

Quote:
Perhaps my biggest disappointment with the choice of components in my Coachmen is the vent fan located in the bathroom. It is tiny and completely ineffective. Especially considering this is the only vent for the entire trailer.

My last trailer had a three speed fantastic fan despite being a pup. It could create a breeze inside the entire trailer.

I want to upgrade the fan. I need some suggestions. So far I have found one company with a fab called the vortex that states it replaces an existing fan. It appears everything else requires replacing the entire roof Mount assembly.

Please share what you have installed and how well it worked.
Fantastic,works well. Ps,could you post some Pics. Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 12:25 PM   #10
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
User error
Ok, I LOL'd a little. I've removed all but 1 of the photos!
Old 06-11-2013, 01:02 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
Ok, I LOL'd a little. I've removed all but 1 of the photos!

Thank you. Note self - pay more attention when attaching photos in mobile app...

Old 06-11-2013, 01:07 PM   #12
Always Learning

Quote:
Thank you. Note self - pay more attention when attaching photos in mobile app...
(cough) how did you miss EIGHT *EXTRA* attachments? (cough)

I mean - cool. You're welcome.

Old 06-12-2013, 09:04 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
(cough) how did you miss EIGHT *EXTRA* attachments? (cough)

I mean - cool. You're welcome.

Well smart guy - since you asked, whenever I would attach a photo the mobile app would crash, report and reopen. My message would still be there...without any picture. I tried it several times and just gave up as it kept crashing. Maybe a little more than several...

Old 06-12-2013, 11:07 AM   #14
Always Learning

Quote:

Well smart guy - since you asked, whenever I would attach a photo the mobile app would crash, report and reopen. My message would still be there...without any picture. I tried it several times and just gave up as it kept crashing. Maybe a little more than several...
Oy, that sucks. Does it always crash when you try to upload photos? Android phone or iDevice?
Old 06-12-2013, 11:10 AM   #15

Android - and it is hit and miss. Generally works well, but have had it crash a couple times. That time was way more trouble than normal.

Of course my phone has done a software update since then, so no way of knowing if it will come back.