Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-25-2018, 02:03 PM   #1

Upgrading Microwave

I have a Mini Lite 2104S that comes with the usual tiny microwave and, surprisingly for this class of trailer, an actual propane oven. Both do the job well enough, but I noticed that any time I use the oven my rather small interior heats up rather quickly. We do much of our camping in the tropical south and the A/C works hard enough to keep us comfortable on a summer afternoon, competing with the oven is quite the struggle. Also, ovens eat up the propane and I'd like a convenient electrical option as we usually stay at campgrounds with power.
I've done some research, mostly here, on swapping out the microwave with one that is also a convection oven. I'm pretty handy so I should be able handle the installation, I'm just wondering if it would be worth the cost and effort. I learned that the oven still has to be vented, usually inside, so that probably wouldn't help much with the A/C issue unless I got serious with the modding and vented it outside. I usually try to avoid drilling 4" holes in the wall when possible.
I realize there are other options, like stand alone ovens that I could use outside if I wanted to, but I have limited storage as it is and I'd rather keep it inside when possible. We plan on retiring soon and will be hitting the road for a year or so to discover America, and I like to cook and will be using my little kitchen a lot. Has anyone had any luck with this upgrade and would they recommend it?
Thanks as always for any advice.
DavidBo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 03:03 PM   #2

We have a convention microwave and no oven. Works great. No outside vent. Not as hot as a propane oven, I am sure. Is ok with 30 amp, but I try not to use convention and the a/c at the same time just in case when possible
360true is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 03:36 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 360true View Post
We have a convention microwave and no oven. Works great. No outside vent. Not as hot as a propane oven, I am sure. Is ok with 30 amp, but I try not to use convention and the a/c at the same time just in case when possible
Thanks for the reply. It's good to know that the convection oven doesn't crank out as much residual heat as the propane unit. I do have 30 amp service, so far the only time I popped the main breaker was when the A/C, water heater and TV were all running and I tried heating up some coffee in the microwave. Guess that was a bit too much at once. The water heater was probably the deal breaker, for now I'll make sure that is off or on gas next time I load up on the power!
DavidBo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 05:23 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidBo View Post
I have a Mini Lite 2104S that comes with the usual tiny microwave and, surprisingly for this class of trailer, an actual propane oven. Both do the job well enough, but I noticed that any time I use the oven my rather small interior heats up rather quickly. We do much of our camping in the tropical south and the A/C works hard enough to keep us comfortable on a summer afternoon, competing with the oven is quite the struggle. Also, ovens eat up the propane and I'd like a convenient electrical option as we usually stay at campgrounds with power.
I've done some research, mostly here, on swapping out the microwave with one that is also a convection oven. I'm pretty handy so I should be able handle the installation, I'm just wondering if it would be worth the cost and effort. I learned that the oven still has to be vented, usually inside, so that probably wouldn't help much with the A/C issue unless I got serious with the modding and vented it outside. I usually try to avoid drilling 4" holes in the wall when possible.
I realize there are other options, like stand alone ovens that I could use outside if I wanted to, but I have limited storage as it is and I'd rather keep it inside when possible. We plan on retiring soon and will be hitting the road for a year or so to discover America, and I like to cook and will be using my little kitchen a lot. Has anyone had any luck with this upgrade and would they recommend it?
Thanks as always for any advice.
I would be interested in how this goes and what make and model of micro you go with. I have a 2304DS with the small magic chef micro and would love to convert to convection.

immecor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 10:46 PM   #5

I am also following this. On our unit the limiting factor is the width of the microwave. Jay
Jay2504 is offline   Reply With Quote