Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-10-2019, 01:18 PM   #41
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franic View Post
Hi,
New to camping and want to add an Inverter. Where and how did you install? I have a single a 12v battery. Should I add a second battery? Pics would be helpful.
Thanks

2019 Grey Wolf 26RR
2015 Ford F150
The type of installation and if you should add a second battery come down to what you want to run off of the inverter and how "clean" the installation needs to be.

Inverters can be as simple as plugging in a 12v inverter to as complex as whole house inverters that automatically switch between shore power and inverter power.

What do you want to do with it? What do you want to run?
Old 07-10-2019, 01:28 PM   #42

Running the Microwave would be nice but TV, fan and my C-pap for sure. 1000-1500 watt is what Im looking at.
Franic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 02:11 PM   #43
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franic View Post
Running the Microwave would be nice but TV, fan and my C-pap for sure. 1000-1500 watt is what Im looking at.
Running the microwave from batteries is a power hog. The higher draw pulls more amp hours from the battery (for lead batteries). It's your biggest challenge.

For the TV, fan, and CPAP - you don't need a very big inverter. Individually, a small inverter should be fine- say a 300W plugged into a cigarette lighter and then an extension cord running to the devices. A little ugly/unsightly, but it works.

Because I'm a bit afraid of 120v wiring, I opted to install a 1000W inverter and then just plug my shore power cable into it (adapted down, of course). I had to turn off all of the breakers in my panel and only turned on the one or two breakers for outlets. Be aware, though- this can be a power hog. We would use a lot of power from the batteries this way.

Here's a diagram of how I did it:

And here's a video of my installation with 4 batteries:

If I did it again, I would install Xantrex or Kisae transfer switches for the specific circuit breakers that I want powered by the inverter. This saves you the hassle of having to turn off breakers and plug your shore power cord into the inverter.

To save power on the CPAP machine, make sure you turn off the humidifier. This takes something like 3-5 times the power as just the blower alone. I do also have an article with more thoughts on inverters and powering CPAP machines in this post:
https://learntorv.com/cpap-boondocking/
Old 07-10-2019, 04:35 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
Man. How fun was it to get that inside and i. Its new home?
robbiels7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 05:05 PM   #45

Quote:
Running the microwave from batteries is a power hog. The higher draw pulls more amp hours from the battery (for lead batteries). It's your biggest challenge.
Ha, yeah. My microwave uses like 115A of DC. I know the math, but it's impressive to see that kind of draw. Hair dryer (special mini one that doesn't draw 1875W AC) is even more. Each only for a few moments a day, on average.
aeblank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 05:07 PM   #46
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbiels7 View Post
Man. How fun was it to get that inside and i. Its new home?
Best $150 I ever spent on delivery.

And, they chipped my super cheap Amazon table. I got a check for $190 sitting at my mail service.
Old 07-10-2019, 05:10 PM   #47
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeblank View Post
Ha, yeah. My microwave uses like 115A of DC. I know the math, but it's impressive to see that kind of draw. Hair dryer (special mini one that doesn't draw 1875W AC) is even more. Each only for a few moments a day, on average.
Yeah, I found out well after breakfast was over that they were heating bagels and stuff in the toaster! I think my wife even used her hair straightener thing. Other than the microwave, I was surprised what the 1000W inverter would run (and my batteries would dish out).
Old 07-10-2019, 05:51 PM   #48

Quote:
Yeah, I found out well after breakfast was over that they were heating bagels and stuff in the toaster! I think my wife even used her hair straightener thing. Other than the microwave, I was surprised what the 1000W inverter would run (and my batteries would dish out).
Yeah, that's a lot for a 1k.
Mine's a 2k, for those two items (hairdryer and micro).
Solar just put it back in the batteries for me. Don't mess with my nachos!
aeblank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 11:28 PM   #49

2017 28rkx

Bought our 2017 28RKX in June of '17.

Didn't do any mods til last summer.

At that time I installed two Interstate RV batteries in a custom vented box in the same location as the single factory one.

Added the Victron 712 battery monitor with the remote head unit mounted high up above the right side closet in the bedroom. Not an ideal location but I almost always use the Victron app to keep tabs on the electrical system.

Installed a Zamp Solar port (after upgrading the wire) to the outside right next to my batteries.
Click image for larger version

Name:	inverter2.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	288.1 KB
ID:	209826

This year I just finished installing a Xantrex 2000 watt inverter with the remote switch. Mounted it above and behind my batteries. Ran one cord to a outlet I placed behind the TV and the other low on the right hand side in the bedroom. I put the remote switch next to my Victron display.

Name:	PSX_20190713_212059.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	311.7 KB
ID:	209825

Name:	inverter1.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	292.7 KB
ID:	209827

Name:	PSX_20190713_212538.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	264.4 KB
ID:	209828
Next will be a couple of Maxair 2 vent covers :-)
rvr1800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 10:22 AM   #50

Dynamax Rev Gravity Fill

I wanted to be able to fill my Dynamax Rev fresh water tank while on the road without a city water connection. I attached a piece or plex pipe to the overflow hose and a hose hook up connection to that. Now I just attach a piece of hose to the over flow and pour water in through a funnel.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20190715_110106.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	526.0 KB
ID:	209949  
Mikey 11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 08:52 AM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenFitz View Post
We ordered swivel bases for our two captains chairs (driver and Passenger) so when we are parked we can turn them around adding extra seating to our 2018 Freelander. We are on our second trip since we bought it last fall and are picking up things we need as we go. We upgraded from a Coachman Cadet. Enjoying the Class C way more than the trailer. We have 4 more week long trips July through August and in September we are heading west from where we live South Hadley MA. Love this site! Everyone seems to jump in and help others. Thanks for asking what we are doing to upgrade.
Where did you purchase your swivel bases? Any problem installing?
Stearn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 10:38 AM   #52

I THINK I'm done for a while.
Installed Extend A Shower rod.
Installed a power tongue jack.
Replaced the electric water heater element.
Got the flags to go flagpole & holder.
Rounded off the forward dinette bench back edges and recovered it with a soft fabric.
Opened up under dinette bench frame for shoe storage.
Opened up panels blocking easy access to the above front bed cabinet ends.
Installed a removable clothes rod in the lower bunk, insta-closet!
Submarine Dolphins decal for back of TT.
Added 12VDC panel with higher power USB, 12VDC jack, and meter.
Boomerweps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 06:28 PM   #53

Thought could make storing a bit easier. I found the thin sheet hiding the water tank wouldn’t work so added 1/4 “ plywood for strength(sandwiched both together). Now have a basket and a hanger to store water hose fittings and electric cords . With the storage containers, it makes organizing a bit easier.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	279087F9-4A78-4F3F-BCC0-1C69EDA321E9.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	216.2 KB
ID:	210171   Click image for larger version

Name:	E0D8C86F-BB8C-4468-9131-04B9F0FA6F8A.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	180.2 KB
ID:	210172   Click image for larger version

Name:	BAF6EA0C-19E7-4583-9C08-7FB34FB20B08.jpg
Views:	84