Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-06-2018, 03:03 PM   #1

Upgrading steps on Salem Cruise Lite 201BHXL

My unit is 23 inches off the ground and the exterior stairs have only one step. That makes the average rise about 11 inches. I'd like something closer to 7-8 inches. Upgrading to a two step stair would do it.

There problem is that I can't find a unit that fits between the two existing braces. My current single step stairs is a little less than 25 1/4 inches wide. The braces are welded to the trailer frame and get narrower towards the back.

Those of you that replaced the OEM stairs, what did you do?
michaelcerda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 03:21 PM   #2
Always Learning

Different camper but I know they come in different widths- but we LOVE our GlowStep Revolution steps by Torklift. We liked them so much that we included them being transferred from our old rig to the new one when we traded it in.

They're more expensive than alternatives like the MorRydes but are a better step as they're more adjustable and don't carry water & dirt into the camper to fold them in.
Old 05-17-2018, 10:57 PM   #3
Happy camping!

This is the product I'm looking at for exactly the same reason:

https://www.etrailer.com/RV-and-Camp.../LC432682.html

Hope it helps you too.

Oz
OzzieL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 02:49 AM   #4

I will be ordering the model #924 double step from elkhart tool. They are 25.375” wide. Elkhart Tool and Die : Double RV Steps : Custom RV Step Manufacture Since 1954 - Made In The USA

They are $102 on amazon.
Old 05-18-2018, 06:58 AM   #5

We also have the Glow Step Revolution and LOVE them. We, like ependydad, had them transferred from our old RV to our new one. They are worth every penny.
merrykalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 11:36 AM   #6

My OEM step was the same as yours (below) and I struggled with the same issue.

I ended up getting the same ones as OzzieL linked to. These guys:

They were very tight but I was able to get them up in there. With the bolts being near the top of the support plates on the RV I was able to get them through without issue, however due to the wedging nature of the steps being a hair too wide it caused the bottom of the support plates to flare out and away from the steps. So I ended up putting in a bolt on either side to suck in the side plates at the bottom. Used the existing hole in the lower part of the step unit and drilled corresponding holes in the RV support plates. Sounds maybe not so great but looks pretty good in the end and the steps are soo much better. My wife hated the single.

I can grab a picture later if you are curious to see what it looks like.
Old 05-23-2018, 01:55 PM   #7

I was worried about the bar that slides asking the bottom clearing the side supports.
Old 05-29-2018, 11:56 PM   #8
Happy camping!

I'd love to see what they look like installed! Still haven't got my TT out of storage yet....

Thanks,
Oz

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakropp View Post
My OEM step was the same as yours (below) and I struggled with the same issue.

I ended up getting the same ones as OzzieL linked to. These guys:

They were very tight but I was able to get them up in there. With the bolts being near the top of the support plates on the RV I was able to get them through without issue, however due to the wedging nature of the steps being a hair too wide it caused the bottom of the support plates to flare out and away from the steps. So I ended up putting in a bolt on either side to suck in the side plates at the bottom. Used the existing hole in the lower part of the step unit and drilled corresponding holes in the RV support plates. Sounds maybe not so great but looks pretty good in the end and the steps are soo much better. My wife hated the single.

I can grab a picture later if you are curious to see what it looks like.
OzzieL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 05:32 AM   #9

I'd love a picture. Thanks!
Old 06-13-2018, 11:52 AM   #10

Sorry all, been away. Will grab a pic next time I am at the park...this weekend.
Old 06-16-2018, 07:54 PM   #11

Another step option

Forest River offered a two step option of MORryde steps on some Salem Cruise Lite trailers. I read that they were only available to OEMs but I found them at Camping World. The link is below.

For those that are unfamiliar with these MORryde steps they fold inside your door. There are two extendable feet that allow for uneven ground.

I still haven't replaced my single step stairs. I'm torn between just going cheap and moving the under carriage supports to 25.5 inch separation and getting regular two step stairs. The very nice Torklift stairs would require me to move the supports anyway.

https://www.campingworld.com/stepabo...-26-to-28-door
Old 06-19-2018, 04:55 PM   #12

Here are a few pics of the steps. Sorry for the bad lighting, the sun was on a funny angle and my phone was having trouble with it. Also, disregard the height to the ground from the bottom step. My TT is leveled on a side to side grade so the step side of the trailer is pretty close to the ground when folded out. On flat ground they split the height of the trailer perfectly.

You can see the third bolt I added to suck in the side plate on the TT. Because the steps are a hair wider than the plates it wedges them apart so using only the top 2 bolts on each side left the side plates sticking out slightly on an angle. I am sure it is not an issue but I didn't like the look of it so I added the 3rd bolt to pull them in. I used an existing hole on the side plates and drilled through the stair unit. Then an SS bolt and locknut and off you go.

Hope this helps some of you that are on the fence and thinking about it.
Old 06-19-2018, 10:01 PM   #13

Steps installed
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DC56B52C-4F29-4F6D-8889-D293FC143EEF.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	698.5 KB
ID:	176595   Click image for larger version

Name:	759BAF70-AD4A-4859-B5A0-1B51BADBE7E2.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	408.6 KB
ID:	176596  
Old 07-15-2018, 04:56 PM   #14

We just installed our MORryde steps and love them. I shopped around on line and found them for less than camping world. Installation was a breeze. Rock solid and they don’t shake the camper as much when someone is entering and exiting. [emoji106][emoji106][emoji106]
I’d put in a picture but I don’t know how [emoji853]
Judemaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 05:34 PM   #15
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judemaster View Post
I’d put in a picture but I don’t know how [emoji853]
See my answer to your question in your "How do I post pics?" thread.

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
lite, salem