Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-16-2018, 09:48 PM   #1

UPS batteries for house battery in camper.

So when we bought our camper last fall I got them to throw in a new battery, interstate “rv” group 24 as the one in it was the original. I’ve accidentally discharged it a couple of times, and while it seems fine (held charge unhooked all winter) I really want to put an AGM battery in just because of the maintenance free aspect. I know I won’t be boondocking much, if at all, so I really don’t need the extra amp hrs. But... I really want to upgrade just because. [emoji2]

https://replacementbatterystore.com/...e-oem-battery/

So the reason I’m considering a ups battery or two is I’m pretty familiar with them job wise (IT) and more importantly I’ve been running them in my Jeep Wrangler for probably 7 yrs and my boat for 4yrs. My reason for running them is the deep discharge that they can handle. I.e. winch drains on the Jeep (enough drain I have used snow to cool the winch motor), and stereo drains (all day) on the boat. They replaced optima yellow tops in both vehicles. They are not a starting battery even though I used them that way. They are AGM and at a pretty good price point.

Thoughts? What am I missing?
Old 04-16-2018, 10:11 PM   #2

Trigger Warning: Snowflakes who only camp at campgrounds with power may be triggered by my comments.

Its your rig and your money but if you don't boondock, then checking water level on a battery once every 4 months is not that difficult and I doubt you will need to add water more then once a year since you camp with hookups.

Save your money and use it to personalize your camper another way.

When you put your big boy pants on and realize that boondocking offers the best camping experience then we can talk batteries. However, I'd probably steer you towards AGM golfcart batteries!

Have fun and take care!
Skyliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 11:29 PM   #3

Lol, no snowflake to trigger here.

To answer you, I would love to boondock mainly (did for years with a slide in pop-up) when I was wheeling all the time, but the DW has no concept of power management (yet), and so far most of our camping has been with power at local lakes. Hopefully that will change as the little one gets older and we’ll also need a toy hauler at some point. Also, in and around Missouri there aren’t quite the BLM camping areas like out west that can handle larger campers. 38ft. 13’3” tall.

I’ve dealt with battery water levels on farm equipment for most of my life, and while I can do it, I’d rather not have to mess with the mess with the camper. Note I’m not looking at lithium or solar. .
I have a good supplier that I can get these larger AGM UPS batteries at a reasonable cost, I have a use for the existing battery (forklift)so I’m not throwing away a good battery.

Appreciate the response, that’s why I posted.

That’s why I was trying to figure out, if they would be cost effective against golf cart or similar AGM batteries for the performance/maintenance.

Thanks again,
Brad
Old 04-22-2018, 07:51 PM   #4

What type of UPS batteries are you using?
Kuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 08:25 PM   #5

https://replacementbatterystor...2-3...e-oem-battery/. Is what I have in the Jeep and boat. Interstate batteries has a similar one but in talking to the interstate guys they were worried about me burning out the terminal connection inside the battery using their batteries for starting. These guys didn't see an issue when I talked to them. Like I said, I haven't had any issues in 8 yrs of running them.
Old 04-23-2018, 01:39 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeptchr View Post
https://replacementbatterystor...2-3...e-oem-battery/. Is what I have in the Jeep and boat. Interstate batteries has a similar one but in talking to the interstate guys they were worried about me burning out the terminal connection inside the battery using their batteries for starting. These guys didn't see an issue when I talked to them. Like I said, I haven't had any issues in 8 yrs of running them.
Couldnt open url whats the make of these?
Kuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 08:39 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuba View Post
Couldnt open url whats the make of these?
I screwed up the link the 2nd time...

C&D Technologies UPS12-300MR High Rate OEM Battery

I buy through http://wholesalebatteries.net
Click image for larger version

Name:	1524510626288.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	102.8 KB
ID:	169392
Old 04-23-2018, 08:40 PM   #8

https://replacementbatterystor...2-3...e-oem-battery/

Tags
batteries, battery, camper