Old 06-28-2011, 04:46 PM   #11

Send a message via Skype™ to toshu
Fire Instructor,

I am curious what made you select the SunTech panel, over other brands? Cost appears to be above $2/watt, although shipping can be a lot.

Was this brand specifically recommended for RV mounting, or was it recommended by Mark at Rogue, etc????

As far as your Brackets for roof mounting and elevation, I think I understand them now. From picture closeups, it looks as though you use a cotter pin mechanism to attach the panels to the TT roof.

For your wiring run, it looks like you just ran straight thru the roof, right at the roof combiner box, to enter the TT closet above the bed??

My recollection is that this model Rogue allows PC data logging.....have you tried that yet, and will you be testing/using that during your Assateague trip??

How are you monitoring your battery level??

Tnx

-2011-23 nights
toshu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 08:27 PM   #12

Rick, I'm 65 and work in Home Depot's corp office in Atlanta. I'm a month or so from getting my first popup. I'm a ham radio operator and astronomer, so electronics is always interesting to me. I really enjoyed your article about the solar power you have set up. Probably too big for my popup, but a smaller setup....hmmm... thanks again. I'll look for future articles about how you like it.

Old 07-05-2011, 09:04 AM   #13

Lots of good questions here! Sorry that i didn't notice them whan you posted them!

Quote:
Originally Posted by toshu View Post
Fire Instructor,

I am curious what made you select the SunTech panel, over other brands? Cost appears to be above $2/watt, although shipping can be a lot.
It was the right size panel, with the right output, at the right price. Was looking at the Kyocera's, but price and the extra 15w / panel were the deciding factor.

Was this brand specifically recommended for RV mounting, or was it recommended by Mark at Rogue, etc????
I already had the panels on order when I began my dialog with Mark at Rogue.

As far as your Brackets for roof mounting and elevation, I think I understand them now. From picture closeups, it looks as though you use a cotter pin mechanism to attach the panels to the TT roof.
Correct! It's a pin and key system. A little clumsy (I've found that it's easier to manipulate with a pair of needle nose pliars), but cost and use efficient.

For your wiring run, it looks like you just ran straight thru the roof, right at the roof combiner box, to enter the TT closet above the bed??
Correct. Ran the cable right down the corner of the closet, and installed the shut-off in the lower corner of the closet.

My recollection is that this model Rogue allows PC data logging.....have you tried that yet, and will you be testing/using that during your Assateague trip??
The data-logging is a feature to come. The controller has the remote connection for data logging and for a remote panel, but Marc said that they won't be released until likely the Fall. I have the conduit already run for mine, as it was easier to do during the initial install.

How are you monitoring your battery level??
With the el-Cheapo "Micro-Monitor" (very unreliable) that came with the Rockwood. However, any time that I'm reporting the battery as "full" in these posts, it's when it's switched over from MPPT charging to "Float".

Tnx

2014 RAM 2500 Laramie 4x4 Quad Cab w/Cummins Turbo Diesel, 2009 Rockwood 2607, and 3 'yaks!
300W of Suntech Solar, a Rogue MPT-3024 Controller, and a Xantrex PW2000 Inverter
Fire Instructor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 11:35 PM   #14

UPDATE: I boiled water today!!!!

I boilded water today with my TT microwave!

I know.... It doesn't sound like any kind of great feat, but I wasn't plugged into grid power when I did it! I did it to "test" my installation of a new Xantrex PW2000 pure sine wave inverter.

I had previously mounted the unit and the remote switch, so today, I just had to finish the wiring. Ran about 5' of 1/0 (#0) cable from the batteries to the inverter, put a 250A in-line fuse in the hot leg, and turned it on. I had an extra foot or so of cable, so I also replaced the #6 wire connecting the two 6-volt batteries in series with a short section of the 1/0 that I crimped ends onto. To test the installation, I just ran the TT cord into my front compartment, and plugged my 120v ststem into my 12v system.

Next step will be to run 120v Romex from the inverter to a spot next to the TT cord, and install a 120v outlet there, powered by the inverter. Once done, I'll just have to plug in my dogbone adapter into the adjacent outlet.

Our next two planned camping trips are both boondocking, so I'm looking forward to seeing how it all works!

2014 RAM 2500 Laramie 4x4 Quad Cab w/Cummins Turbo Diesel, 2009 Rockwood 2607, and 3 'yaks!
300W of Suntech Solar, a Rogue MPT-3024 Controller, and a Xantrex PW2000 Inverter
Old 08-07-2011, 09:14 AM   #15

Send a message via Skype™ to toshu
Rick
That's awesome!!!

What has been your high in terms of amphrs from your panels so far?
-2011-23 nights
toshu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 11:00 AM   #16
Happy to Be Camping

Location: We live in Rhode Island, but our hearts are in New Hampshire
toshu-
Sorry I didn't get back to you...just got back from an extended trip. Yes, I got the cells from EverbrightSolar. The system worked wonderfully...we only started the generator for good coffee in the morning.
Old 08-08-2011, 12:05 PM   #17

Toshu - Highest Ah day thus far was July 3, where the panels produces 35.4Ah. We had watched a movie the night previous, and had been inside most of the evening due to the bugs. That's also the day where I received peak watts from my panels, peaking out at 292 Watts. I was amazed at that, as th panels are only 300W, so it must have been a very "efficient" day!

Now I can experiment some, and see just how much use I can actually get, using things like the toaster and Margaritta maker. I'll likely limit the microwave use, at least until I install a second pair of 6v batteries.

Old 08-08-2011, 12:58 PM   #18
Dismember

I just got back from a week long trip. I didn't run my microwave off of my inverter on this trip. I can count on 20-25AH out of my meager 160W array during a typical day here in California. It is an estimate because I always end up with a "full" battery according to my LinkLite during the afternoon. I haven't been deliberately draining the battery to lower levels to see what I can make up the next day. That isn't bad performance when the parasitic draw is 1 Amp. (I am not sure why the refrigerator takes 0.9A when running on Propane. My previous TT frig didn't have a draw on propane.

I have run the microwave off of the inverter and IIRC correctly, the LinkLite reported about 140-150A draw. With your much larger solar array (and future larger battery bank), 10-15 minutes of micro use a day might be easily accommodated.

As for wiring, I placed my inverter on the forward wall of the through storage at the front of my trailer so that it would be within about 3-4 cable feet from the battery bank. I used 4/0 wiring to/from battery and upgraded connection between the two 6-V batteries to 4/0 cabling per Xantrex recommendation. To wire up the trailer, I ran 12/2 wiring through flex conduit under the trailer to the converter's distribution panel to power the outlets and microwave.

2010 Toyota Tundra DoubleCab 5.7L 4X4
TimeFurnace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 08:58 PM   #19

Which 921-style replacement LEDs did you "like" from virtual village? There are so many to chose from.
Old 08-17-2011, 09:15 PM   #20

For the double overhead fixtures, I went with these: White SMD 36-LED Light Panel with Festoon Bayonet Wedge Connectors

The reading lights got these: 2 Xenon White LED T15 Car Bulbs with 9 LED's in Each

The range hood: 2x25 SMD LED White Wedge Auto Bulbs Lamp Car T10/194

Outside porch light: 36 White 12V LED Circuit Board RV Boat Light Bulb 1156

Refrigerator light: Interior Car Lights - 2 Festoon White 9 LED 12V 42mm Bulbs - 6411 / 4411

Hope that this helps!

Tags
12 volt, solar