Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-04-2012, 12:05 PM   #41

I was wondering if mine was just defective so I contacted the manufacturer and they immediately sent me a replacement. Works great.
Old 08-04-2012, 08:18 PM   #42

When unhooking from my new 5'ver, it's easy to just unlatch my tailgate and let it drop down while standing in the awkward position between my truck and camper.

The TN heat hasn't affected the shock's operation.
bjlowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 08:25 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkyJunk View Post
Stupid forum..... Going to make me go broke!
Thanks for the video/idea.
I have a 2012 super duty F350 and it already has ford's version of tailgate assist on it. It is springs coiled where the tailgate attach to rear panels. It doesn't slow it like the struts buts makes it easy for one hand operation.
pwrstroke2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 05:46 AM   #44
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timex View Post
I put one on my 2005 Dodge Ram 2500. How do you get the tailgate safety cable to stay tucked in as you close the tailgate? Mine had the heat shrink that goes on the safety cable but don't really see what it is for.
My cable stays in, but it is a tight fit between the strut and tailgate. I look for it eventially to wear the some paint of off my tailgate.

I saw the heat shrink part on the video, but have no idea what that does. That part was not included in with the damper I got....different make. Doesn't the directions show where that goes and what it does ??

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 08:00 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnguy View Post
My cable stays in, but it is a tight fit between the strut and tailgate. I look for it eventially to wear the some paint of off my tailgate.

I saw the heat shrink part on the video, but have no idea what that does. That part was not included in with the damper I got....different make. Doesn't the directions show where that goes and what it does ??
The heat shrink part keeps the safety cable from getting pinched between the shock and the truck. Gotta have this or else the cable will get severely damaged.
bjlowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 09:07 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnguy View Post

Yeah, the directions say where it goes but doesn't say what it is for. I read somewhere a few weeks ago, where somebody pinched their cable to make it tuck in when the tailgate closes. Don't remember where I read that review or even how it was done. Maybe over the course of time it will learn on it's own!
Timex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 01:35 PM   #47

The cable will be damaged at somepoint if you do not have/use the rubber grommet and heat shrink piece. Once the cable gets a sharp kink, it will start to fray and strands will break then one day, when you least expect it - WHAM the tail gate drops suddenly, crushing your beer can. You know, the one you usually pull out of the way as it lowers gently.
Master Blaster of the Navy
BigTJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 02:20 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwrstroke2012 View Post
I have a 2012 super duty F350 and it already has ford's version of tailgate assist on it. It is springs coiled where the tailgate attach to rear panels. It doesn't slow it like the struts buts makes it easy for one hand operation.
Mine is a 2011. Must have started that in 2012.
Old 08-09-2012, 08:45 AM   #49

Here is mine...great idea everyone... I didnt even know they had "kits" available. Thought I was going to have to fab one. Here's a pic..

This literally took 10min to install and comes with all of the tools. I bought it at O'Reilly Auto Parts and the sign said $29.99. When I got to the counter it scanned $19.99. Good deal!

I have a 2yr old that loves to climb... at least if she pulls that tailgate latch its not going to severely hurt her.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ezdown.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	38.0 KB
ID:	17752  

TV = 2016 F-150 5.0L SCREW
Pit Crew: DW (Robin)
Kids: 9yo DD (Riley), 5yo DD (Kennedy)
Security: Boxer (Harley), yorkie (Willow)
BlakeB is offline   Reply With Quote