Old 10-02-2016, 08:18 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by George-B View Post
Does anyone know of a Vinyl Plank Flooring that specifies it can be used in RV's specifically?

TrafficMASTER Allure 6 in. x 36 in. Resilient Vinyl Plank Flooring specifies
"For use indoors and in temperature controlled environments only"
I would expect the temperature range in my RV to be more like 0 degree F to 130 degree F inside the RV during storage.
The temps you list may happen, but not on the same day. temps in the RV change over a period of time and much slower then outside temps, I think you are worrying over something that is not an issue.

I put allure in my Class A and for the 10 years I took it to the black rock desert it had no problems and wears like iron.

2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 08:57 AM   #12

Great job Restcure. Thanks for the pics.

Old 10-02-2016, 06:30 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by TN_Cruise_Lite View Post
Great job Restcure. Thanks for the pics.
www.restcure.ca

illegitimi non carborundum
Restcure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 12:44 PM   #14

Vinyl is vinyl and it will shrink and expand with temp. changes regardless. Sheet vinyl can crack/tear in cold temps. at stress points like floor vents for ex. Sheet flooring as stapled all around the perimeter and everything is built on top of it and can't move much at all in comparison to a free-floating laminate plank floor.

One very important key to laminate flooring is providing an adequate expansion gap all around the perimeter and at places like table flanges, toilet, etc. where it can get hung up and pull apart. Use the click & lock type. Use a small baseboard material around the perimeter as needed to hide the expansion joint. Don't goop the exp. joint with silicon as one owner did.

I installed laminate plank laminate in a previous Coachmen TT 5 years ago and used a brand made from ABS. I don't know how the coefficient of thermal expansion compares to vinyl. My BIL bought the TT from us and lives in a much colder climate and reports that it has been perfectly fine for several years now. ABS is very rigid tho. and harder to cut and not sure if it's available anymore.

Three winters ago it got abnormally cold for an extended period and there were many reports of RV owners getting cracked sheet flooring. It's hard to tell what the summers and winters will be like nowadays and depending on where you are, you may want to provide for the worst case shrinkage.

Regarding the toilet, be careful about the increase in distance from underside of toilet to the flange. RV toilets use a foam gasket and it may not seal with the increased gap. Some have used an ordinary wax gasket. If you can, shim the flange up with something to maintain the same spacing. Always replace the gasket if you lift the toilet. Water leakage is not good for an RV...

Tags
flooring