Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-30-2016, 10:03 PM   #1

Vinyl Plank Flooring that specifies it can be used in RV's

Does anyone know of a Vinyl Plank Flooring that specifies it can be used in RV's specifically?

I have read many posts and I know many people use Allure flooring for their RV. When I read the specifications on most vinyl plank flooring they say temperature controlled environment and most specify 60 degree F to 80 degree F.
For example on the Home Depot web site for Allure:
TrafficMASTER Allure 6 in. x 36 in. Resilient Vinyl Plank Flooring specifies
"For use indoors and in temperature controlled environments only"
I would expect the temperature range in my RV to be more like 0 degree F to 130 degree F inside the RV during storage.
George-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 04:59 AM   #2

I've had the Allure down on our Lexi's floor for about two years now, with no problems. Temp inside during summer hits 90's (when it gets really hot I cut the ac on set at 80 degrees) and winter low 40's (I keep a small space heater inside during winter set to come on when temp gets below 35 degrees.
I installed it myself, leaving the open boxes inside the Lexi for 2 days prior to install, as recommended by Allure. Installed it "floating" with about a 1/4 to 1/2 inch gap at walls, with quarter round moulding to hide the gap.
So far, so good. No planks have developed gaps or pulled away.
Grumpy

2012 Forrest River Lexington 283ts
Toad, 2013 Subaru XV Crosstrek
grumpy0374 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 08:55 AM   #3

We installed TrafficMaster Allure in our last travel trailer when the vinyl floor split over the winter. Here in Ottawa temperature fluctuations of 60ºC (108ºF) between summer and winter are common. After we installed the stuff in the spring and used it all year I checked the trailer mid-winter. The gaps between planks were larger, but as reported and expected they all closed up by the following spring. Same deal two seasons in a row and still looking great when we sold the trailer this spring.

Looked great too!

visit our website at www.restcure.ca
Restcure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 09:23 AM   #4

Any flooring material will expand and contract with weather. What you need to do is be very careful when lating any product and pay very close attention to the instructions.
donniedu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 01:27 PM   #5
Retired Army MSG!

Quote:
Originally Posted by George-B View Post
Does anyone know of a Vinyl Plank Flooring that specifies it can be used in RV's specifically?

I have read many posts and I know many people use Allure flooring for their RV. When I read the specifications on most vinyl plank flooring they say temperature controlled environment and most specify 60 degree F to 80 degree F.
For example on the Home Depot web site for Allure:
I would expect the temperature range in my RV to be more like 0 degree F to 130 degree F inside the RV during storage.
I installed this type flooring at home and love. My concern for the rv is that it is very heavy so watch for added weight.
lazyjj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 02:01 PM   #6

We used Allure in our previous Class A. Looked great but after 3 years of hot and cold it contracted and there were gaps in several locations. Trying to fill in those crack with pieces of Allure was not a simple task as it is very thick and not very easy to cut small pieces. Would never use Allure again. Stick and peel vinyl plank flooring is thinner than Allure, a lot less expensive, and if you need to repair, it is also easier. We have used peel and stick tiles in an older Class A and never had any problems with expansion or contraction.
2015 Ford F150 Eco-Boost
BusyRetirees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 08:23 AM   #7

A friend of mine has a TT that is probably ten (10) years old and the carpet was getting terrible. We ripped it out and replaced it a product he found at Lowes. This is a flooring material that is all plastic with a wood grain on the topside. When you are laying the material you have to hold the new piece at about a 45 degree angle, align it with the groove of the last piece laid, then using a downward motion snap it into place. The product is advertised as "waterproof". He just had to test it once we had it all in so he poured a glass of water on it and the water just pooled and stayed for a few minutes then he wiped it up. And it looks nice also.
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 06:48 PM   #8

For those who have replaced their flooring, how did you seal around the toilet? Did you pull the toilet or trim around it?
TN_Cruise_Lite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 08:31 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by TN_Cruise_Lite View Post
For those who have replaced their flooring, how did you seal around the toilet? Did you pull the toilet or trim around it?
toilets are very easy to take out. Would take much much longer to try to work around it.
davel1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 07:08 AM   #10

Quote:
Removing the toilet was no problem. We left a bit of the old flooring around the toilet flange, sealing the edges with Gorilla tape. We had to shim the flange up a bit because the TrafficMaster is about three times thicker than the stock floor. It was a simple matter of loosening the flange screws a little, sliding the shims under the edge and tightening the screws again.

We did the same thing around the furnace and water pump (edges visible on the left and right).

Old 10-02-2016, 07:18 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by George-B View Post

The temps you list may happen, but not on the same day. temps in the RV change over a period of time and much slower then outside temps, I think you are worrying over something that is not an issue.

I put allure in my Class A and for the 10 years I took it to the black rock desert it had no problems and wears like iron.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 07:57 AM   #12

Great job Restcure. Thanks for the pics.
TN_Cruise_Lite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 05:30 PM   #13

Quote:
Great job Restcure. Thanks for the pics.

Old 10-09-2016, 11:44 AM   #14

Vinyl is vinyl and it will shrink and expand with temp. changes regardless. Sheet vinyl can crack/tear in cold temps. at stress points like floor vents for ex. Sheet flooring as stapled all around the perimeter and everything is built on top of it and can't move much at all in comparison to a free-floating laminate plank floor.

One very important key to laminate flooring is providing an adequate expansion gap all around the perimeter and at places like table flanges, toilet, etc. where it can get hung up and pull apart. Use the click & lock type. Use a small baseboard material around the perimeter as needed to hide the expansion joint. Don't goop the exp. joint with silicon as one owner did.

I installed laminate plank laminate in a previous Coachmen TT 5 years ago and used a brand made from ABS. I don't know how the coefficient of thermal expansion compares to vinyl. My BIL bought the TT from us and lives in a much colder climate and reports that it has been perfectly fine for several years now. ABS is very rigid tho. and harder to cut and not sure if it's available anymore.

Three winters ago it got abnormally cold for an extended period and there were many reports of RV owners getting cracked sheet flooring. It's hard to tell what the summers and winters will be like nowadays and depending on where you are, you may want to provide for the worst case shrinkage.

Regarding the toilet, be careful about the increase in distance from underside of toilet to the flange. RV toilets use a foam gasket and it may not seal with the increased gap. Some have used an ordinary wax gasket. If you can, shim the flange up with something to maintain the same spacing. Always replace the gasket if you lift the toilet. Water leakage is not good for an RV...

Tags
flooring