Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-21-2018, 04:54 PM   #21
Bene Gesserit Rule

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oaklevel View Post
Sorry do not recommend this type flooring in an RV due to temperature changes and moisture .....

After reading the Use and CARE & MAINTENANCE of this product I would run away as fast as I could it appears to be cheap junk..... Sorry just my opinion......and will not hold up especially in a bathroom..........

Installation instructions say do not install in camping trailers !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

RECOMMENDED INSTALLATION AREA
Do not install vinyl planks over carpet or any foam underlayment. This product
is not suitable for any outside use, sunrooms/solariums, saunas, seasonal
porches, camping trailers, boats, RV’s or rooms that have a potential of
flooding. Do not install in rooms or homes that are not temperature controlled.
Exposure to long term direct sunlight can cause damage to your floor. Failure
to properly shade or UV tint windows can discolor, fade, or buckle vinyl
planks. Use window treatments or UV tinting on windows. Vinyl planks are
not intended for use on stairs or vertical surfaces. Do not glue, nail, screw or
fasten to substrate. Install cabinetry, island and peninsula counters, vanities,
tubs, and showers first. Then install vinyl planks around them.

Sorry !!

My HG 28RLT 5'er has this flooring and I think it's great. It's flexible, durable, waterproof, (tested) and it looks like wood.
Murbella7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 05:46 PM   #22

I recommend removing the toilet in the RV to install new flooring. Also, I suggest you consider adding a SharkBite valve on the toilet water supply line while the toilet is removed. (I tried doing install of such a valve and had to remove the toilet to get enough room to redo the connection to toilet)

This valve allows putting. a wand in the toilet for black tank flushing without a flush occurring. I figure it is also insurance Incase I have an issue with the flush valve.
Waterops1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 06:13 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterops1 View Post
I recommend removing the toilet in the RV to install new flooring. Also, I suggest you consider adding a SharkBite valve on the toilet water supply line while the toilet is removed. (I tried doing install of such a valve and had to remove the toilet to get enough room to redo the connection to toilet)

This valve allows putting. a wand in the toilet for black tank flushing without a flush occurring. I figure it is also insurance Incase I have an issue with the flush valve.
X2.. A valve is so easy to do with a shark bite .
FarmerJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 07:06 PM   #24

So first of all it is not Vinyl Wood Flooring you are installing. You are installing Vinyl Plank Flooring. Someone said it is not for RVs. What I can tell you is that I have installed Vinyl Plank Flooring and find it to be easy to install and since it is waterproof and "not too thick" it is easy to install, in other words it is flexible. I did not read all the answers, so forgive me if I missed something, I am just trying to answer you original question about removing the toilet. Yes I would remove it and install the flooring under it. But I have installed it around it, just takes longer to do and then you have to use a bead of caulking around it. But the floor itself is waterproof. What more can you ask for. So go ahead and do it. Not hard to remove the toilet and your finished job would be better, but if you are feeling lazy about doing that then install it around the base of the toilet and caulk it. May take just as long.
3.5L EcoBoost (12,200 Towing Capacity)

mcmartinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 07:29 PM   #25

Thank you for all the replies. The reason that I chose that product is because I've spoken to others that have used this flooring in their RV's and have been very happy with it.

That being said, I do understand that manufacturers caution against using their products under certain circumstances. It may be valid, or it may be over-caution.

I may not end up using it in the bathroom after all. I looked in there today, and saw that I wouldn't be able to run any type of moulding ( to cover the end gap) on the tub side. It wouldn't look right. Unless I run a bead of caulk there. I can install a trim strip at the bathroom door to separate the original bathroom flooring from the new hallway flooring.

So....I will consider other flooring options. If indeed I do install new flooring in the bathroom, I will definitely remove the toilet.

So much to learn, so little time....

Thank you, all.

Rich

1999 21' Wildwood WDF21RK

2006 Dodge Ram 2500, 4x4, Quad cab, 5.9L Cummins, 3.73 gears.
rollscanardly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 07:32 PM   #26
CC4

Vinyl Plank Installation

I've installed similar products professionally in basements, garages, and even in trailers (including rental and movie location trailers). Remove the toilet and all the previous flooring products to the bare wood. Use contact (spray) adhesive on both the raw floor and the back of the tile. This will allow you to fit the tile before spraying it. Leave at least a 1/8 inch gap around the outsides that will be hidden by base molding. Remove door flanges and reinstall over the vinyl planking. Do not expose to direct sunshine for extended periods of time or expansion may cause problems such as bubbling or popping of tile. Once the tiles have been in place for a week they should be robust and take a lot of abuse but treat them like they were a fine wood floor and they will last a long time.
Good Luck.
CC4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 08:05 AM   #27

35 years in the flooring business, the past 18 years at The Home Depot. I would only do this if your current floor is damaged, not because I just want a change. Remove and reset the toilet, because if you ever replace it, the base won't be the same. This will probably be OK, since it is a small area, but keep this in mind: You have NO WARRANTY, because the manufacturer does NOT recommend this.

'19 Chevy Colorado Z71 4x4 Crew Cab
'17 Salem Cruise Lite 232RBXL
Mickey the Rescue Project Schnauzer
Days Camped: '17-39, '18-61, '19-64, '20-38
bedubya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 08:39 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by bedubya View Post
35 years in the flooring business, the past 18 years at The Home Depot. I would only do this if your current floor is damaged, not because I just want a change. Remove and reset the toilet, because if you ever replace it, the base won't be the same. This will probably be OK, since it is a small area, but keep this in mind: You have NO WARRANTY, because the manufacturer does NOT recommend this.
Since you are a flooring professional, what would you recommend for someone that wanted a durable wood plank looking floor?

2012 Cedar Creek 36CKTS Touring Edition
2015 Ford F-350 CC DRW Lariat
Joe_GA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 08:40 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwgal View Post
I have a 2007 37' Forest River Wildwood. The vinyl has cracked right down the middle. Probably because I live in Canada. I'm seriously thinking of just varethanning the plywood!
We had the same experience in our motorhome. The kitchen and hall vinyl floor cracked exactly as you describe. We had carpet in the front living room area. We ripped out the vinyl, the carpet and a million staples. DH used a roll of packing paper to make a template of the floor. We bought a roll end of quality sheet vinyl which DH installed. It wasn't a difficult job - just had to take time to cut it carefully. We left the carpet on the slide floors. Our floor is beautiful and so easy to keep clean. It has survived through two northern Ontario winters and still looks great. And he did remove and reinstall the toilet.
oldsmasma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 09:06 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_GA View Post
Since you are a flooring professional, what would you recommend for someone that wanted a durable wood plank looking floor?
If your hell bent on plank flooring, install real oak hardwood flooring. Not foam imitation. but your slide won't go over it.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 10:07 AM   #31

Not wood tape
Spyderrider2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 10:38 AM   #32

I don't know what's wrong with the wood plank flooring LOOK that was posted in #24. This factory installed vinyl flooring is going on 4 years old and looks and cleans great. It is not that thick, perhaps 1/8" or less. I don't think the OP wants a real wood floor only one that LOOKS like wood.
moshe1436 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 11:28 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_GA View Post
I would do a fiberglass backed sheet vinyl. Lots of wood patterns, and its what is in most RV's in the first place. But it's not as DIY friendly as Vinyl Planks. However, there are inexpensive pattern kits and it seems that most of the folks asking these questions are pretty handy.

But don't misunderstand me. Vinyl planks will work great, too. For that matter, if you don't care about weight, ceramic tile or natural stone are doable with the right underlayment. Laminate flooring can work, too, but the required 1/4" gap around the perimeter is a downer for some.

'19 Chevy Colorado Z71 4x4 Crew Cab
'17 Salem Cruise Lite 232RBXL
Mickey the Rescue Project Schnauzer
Days Camped: '17-39, '18-61, '19-64, '20-38
bedubya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 12:43 PM   #34
Just as confused as you

Hi, rollscanardly. I have been reading your thread on your rebuild just to see what you're going through. Not much else to do this time of the year when your retired.

Anyway, my suggestion is to contact Wildwood or Forest River and ask them what they would do. When we bought our new 2014 Flagstaff 832IKBS, DW had went looking and found one she wanted with vinyl flooring. I met her at the dealership and looking at it we found a significant triangular rip in the floor under the swivel recliner. It looked as though someone had put the slide in without checking for clearance with the chair. The dealer said they were going to send it back to the factory for repair. I don't know what they did but the dealer told us that he thought the factory would cut the flooring out along the walls and lay new down gluing at the edges. I personally think vinyl sheet flooring would be the way to go. We ended up taking the 832IKBS with carpeting.
Whatever you do, good luck and keep us informed on how it turns out.

For those questioning rollscanardly's idea, you should read this thread from him. It's some interesting read.
http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...vy-125403.html
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 12:53 PM   #35

Scrapper,what Vinyl pattern is Under your carpet in your Flagstaff 8321KBS? Youroo!!
Old 01-22-2018, 01:44 PM   #36
Just as confused as you

youroo, The vinyl pattern in the kitchen, hall and bath looks like square tiles. Living room, dinette and bedroom is carpet. The carpet in the living room goes from the fridge/island towards the front to the rear wall.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	832IKBS Floorplan.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	35.7 KB
ID:	160643  
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 03:15 PM   #37

Yes remove toilet I have installed flooring for about 10 yrs in my younger years in houses install is easiest without any toilet or vanity in way
Steve Holder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 03:21 PM   #38

The vinyl flooring split in our last TT one winter and we replaced it with TrafficMaster Allure from Home Depot.

There is a detailed write up on our website: Repairs - Vinyl Flooring Replacement

visit our website at www.restcure.ca
Restcure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 03:21 PM   #39

OK...I am going to install a new floor out of necessity, not "just because"...

So, I think that I will look into the vinyl sheet flooring. My camper is small, thus, the area of new floor is small.

I will keep you posted, and will include it into my other thread that Scrapper mentioned...

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...vy-125403.html

And...no matter which floor that I choose, I WILL REMOVE THE TOILET!!

Thank you for all of your feedback!

Rich

1999 21' Wildwood WDF21RK

2006 Dodge Ram 2500, 4x4, Quad cab, 5.9L Cummins, 3.73 gears.
rollscanardly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 04:07 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper View Post
youroo, The vinyl pattern in the kitchen, hall and bath looks like square tiles. Living room, dinette and bedroom is carpet. The carpet in the living room goes from the fridge/island towards the front to the rear wall.
My point being that the Vinyl that is Everywhere Front to Back even Under your Carpet! Youroo!!

Tags
floor