Old 09-01-2013, 10:37 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by garbonz View Post
The quality of the Vortex II in my opinion, was not up to the other units like The create a breeze or maxair. The multi position switch was pretty cheezy and didn't have detents at the speed settings.

IMO

Nice how to tho.
You're right garbonz, the Vortex II isn't the best vent fan on the block. It seemed adequate and does work. On one trip this year, we were in Moab when it was 112F and we weren't allowed to use our generator in the park since we never at camp during gen hours. We ran Vortex II non-stop for 3 days and it held up just fine. It wasn't however up to pushing enough air to keep us cool by itself, even at night. We cranked up a box fan on low using an inverter and that pushed WAAAY more air. We have a decent bank of batteries and 340 watts of solar, so that wasn't a big deal. It does it's job of venting the bathroom, but don't count on it as an air conditioning replacement in desert heat.

retire_early is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 10:44 PM   #12
Denver, CO

Quote:
Originally Posted by retire_early View Post
You're right garbonz, the Vortex II isn't the best vent fan on the block. It seemed adequate and does work. On one trip this year, we were in Moab when it was 112F and we weren't allowed to use our generator in the park since we never at camp during gen hours. We ran Vortex II non-stop for 3 days and it held up just fine. It wasn't however up to pushing enough air to keep us cool by itself, even at night. We cranked up a box fan on low using an inverter and that pushed WAAAY more air. We have a decent bank of batteries and 340 watts of solar, so that wasn't a big deal. It does it's job of venting the bathroom, but don't count on it as an air conditioning replacement in desert heat.
I think you should buy a turbokool and let me know how it work in MOAB. I would kinda like something like that for out west that would work drydocked. I don't have the 2nd AC unit, so it would fit. I'd like someone to test it first tho. LOL.

Old 09-02-2013, 05:41 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by garbonz View Post
I think you should buy a turbokool and let me know how it work in MOAB. I would kinda like something like that for out west that would work drydocked. I don't have the 2nd AC unit, so it would fit. I'd like someone to test it first tho. LOL.
Hmmm.... That would be awesome for drydocking which is 99% of my use. (Hence the solar.) If I could slap a swamp cooler on for under $200, I'd do it in a heartbeat. At $500+ I think I still hate dealing with swamp coolers. Although at 112F this last June I hated just about everything. Hmmm.... Thanks for the tip.
retire_early is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 09:58 AM   #14

I used mine for the first time Labor Day weekend. It is a wonderful upgrade from the original fan. Pulls the steam from the shower out immediately, (on low speed at that)
Love it!
Old 09-17-2013, 09:35 PM   #15

Thanks for sharing the pictures and install. I bought this fan and put it in the spot where I just had a simple vent without any fan. I pulled power from the light 3 inches away. Install looks professional and like it was made with the trailer. I has a different sound from my Create a Breeze fan in the bathroom but seems to pull nearly the same amount of air. Having 2 fans in the camper moves tons of air through.....I love it.
Old 07-25-2016, 04:38 PM   #16

Wiring Question

I want to install this fan. I just purchased a vortex I but am going to take it back to Wallly World and grab the Vortex II.

I have two sets of wires going through the vent when I pull off the interior bracket. There is a green and white wires (together) and a black and white wires (together). Which would I use to connect to the fan?

They do not "end" at the light. They simply go in on one side (from the front of the trailer) and exit out the back of the location of the vent cutout. I assume I would have to tap into one of the sets of wires.

Great how to..Helped me to decide on the right fan for me with out having to do anything to the roof.

Tx
2015 Nights Camped 18
2015 Palomino Solaire 201SS
2016 Ram 2500 Tradesman CTD
Leatherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 03:16 PM   #17

Leatherman......

You're going to need a multimeter to see what pair of wires has 12 volt power all the time as opposed to a pair of wires that are controlled by a switch.

I'll go out on a limb and say maybe....maybe...you'll find the black and white pair of wires are the ones you'll want to tap into. The wiring standards in the RV world are questionable at best, but you might find the black is 12 volt (positive) and the white is ground (negative).

If the green and white wires provide 12 volts also, there's no telling what they may feed, and may need a switch turned on to have power for the Vortex Dan.

Good luck.

Ken and Terry
2010 Georgetown 330TS being pushed by our
2017 GMC Terrain toad (4 wheels down)
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fan