Old 07-06-2012, 09:32 AM   #1

Vortex II 5 speed fan install

After all the help I have received here on this forum, I thought I would give back a little:

Heng's Industries Vortex II 5 speed Fan Upgrade Kit Install

I am in no way associated with the ebay seller, or the company that makes this fan. I am not being paid to say good things about this fan, I just wanted to perhaps help others who may want to do an easy mod to make their rig better!

The bathroom fan in our Puma 27FQ was LOUD, rattled like crazy and didn't move much air. Time for an upgrade! I found this 5 speed, two-direction Vortex fan on ebay.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1681.jpg
Views:	431
Size:	59.0 KB
ID:	16158

The install is fairly quick (15-45 minutes depending on issues), can be done entirely from inside the trailer, and only required a phillips screw driver and a pair of wire cutters & wire strippers.

Opening the box, included the fan, the instructions, and a bag of parts:

Name:	IMG_1683.jpg
Views:	354
Size:	55.2 KB
ID:	16159

The first thing to do was to remove the plastic shroud that surrounds the fan unit from inside. In my trailer I removed 4 phillips screws. Note: there was all kinds of construction sawdust and other mess that fell when I removed this! After removal, the vent looked like this:

Name:	IMG_1686.jpg
Views:	328
Size:	50.5 KB
ID:	16160

Now to open the bag of parts and get serious:

Name:	IMG_1688.jpg
Views:	302
Size:	56.7 KB
ID:	16161

I then removed the plastic nut on the fan switch, and uninstalled the crank handle by removing one phillips screw. The screen assembly itself was held on with two phillips screws. These screws are way up in a long hole about 2" deep on each side of the screen. After removing the screen it looks like this:

Name:	IMG_1689.jpg
Views:	275
Size:	61.7 KB
ID:	16162

retire_early is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 09:52 AM   #2

Before working on anything electrical, DON"T FORGET TO DISCONNECT POWER!!!

Next I unscrewed the fan motor from the mount and cut off all of the wires, wire nuts & the switch, and took the wiring down to the two bare wires coming from the wall switch.

Name:	IMG_1693.jpg
Views:	248
Size:	52.4 KB
ID:	16168

The wiring needed to be on the other side of the opening, so I routed it around to the other side.

Name:	IMG_1694.jpg
Views:	260
Size:	53.2 KB
ID:	16169

Now using one wire nut that came with the kit, and one wire nut that was already on the fan, I attached the wiring. Make sure you can't see any metal from the wires when you screw on the wire nuts.

Name:	IMG_1695.jpg
Views:	282
Size:	55.8 KB
ID:	16170

The next part was probably the most difficult! I had to figure out how to get the tiny screws up the 2" hole, and match the hole in the fan assembly to the hole in the vent cross brace. I found the easiest way to do this was to turn the fan upside down, and let the screws fall through the hole in the bottom. This may take some persuasion with a screwdriver. After the screw was through the hole, I shoved some tape over the sharp part of the screw, holding it in place. This way, both screws are held in the holes when I turn the whole unit back right-side up to place it on the ceiling.

Name:	IMG_1696.jpg
Views:	286
Size:	52.9 KB
ID:	16171

Using the visibility through the fan vent screen, I was able to line up the screws with the mounting holes in the cross brace and fasten the fan unit to the vent opening. Note that the location for the hand crank to open and close the lid on the vent is now different. The fan unit has a gear box that moves the hand crank over a couple inches. The instructions include other pieces and directions if all of this doesn't line up right, or needs to be adjusted. Mine fit together without any adjustment whatsoever. I put the crank handle in the hole and fastened it on with one phillips screw. I also had to make sure that the wiring went around the edge of the fan assembly in some decent manner that didn't pinch the wires or put stress on the wire nuts.

Name:	IMG_1697.jpg
Views:	253
Size:	53.4 KB
ID:	16167

Old 07-06-2012, 09:59 AM   #3

Then I put the plastic shroud back on the ceiling and used the original 4 phillips screws to mount it back in place. At this point, I turned the power back on and tried the fan. It works!

Name:	IMG_1699.jpg
Views:	253
Size:	51.2 KB
ID:	16172

I was also impressed by the feature to remove the screen to take out any junk that may have fallen in there. That's wonderful!

Name:	IMG_1698.jpg
Views:	248
Size:	50.8 KB
ID:	16173

The old fan motor had a 1.6 amp motor, the new one has a 2.2 amp motor. It is WAY quieter and moves a TON more air. We wanted to try this mod, hoping it could be used to help move hot air out of the trailer when it is cool outside and we don't have shore power or a generator to run the air conditioner. We'll have to see how effective that is, but I must say that so far I am very happy with this fan.
Old 07-10-2012, 08:02 AM   #4

Thank you, thank you, for this great 'how to'. We've been wanting to do this but didn't know if we could. Will have to order our fan now and get to it. Our previous TT had a good fan in the bathroom, and it really did help to cool off the TT when the AC was not on.

Don and Laura + Critters, Eloise and Cooper
Chesapeake, VA
VAlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 08:24 AM   #5
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Could you link to the seller you bought from?
Price?
Old 07-10-2012, 09:07 AM   #6

I was reluctant to include such information since it would seem like a commercial or something. Since you have asked for it:

Ebay Seller:

eBay My World - oem_rvparts

Exact Part:

NEW ** 5 SPEED** Vortex RV Roof vent Fan Upgrade Kit Multiple Speed | eBay

Cost with FREE shipping: $84.95

By the way, I hooked up a watt meter to the trailer last night looking at air conditioner issues, and found that the WFCO power converter pulled an additional 10 watts with this fan on high if anyone finds that interesting.
Old 09-01-2012, 05:08 PM   #7

retire early,

Just purchased one of these to install in the bathroom... I have two other vents, are you able to reuse the old fan & it's supporting hardware on another vent or does removing it render it useless?

Oh, & thanks for posting the how-to!

Joe
Old 09-01-2012, 05:37 PM   #8

Name:   brace.jpg
Views: 2959
Size:  30.6 KB
The lid crank is attached to the center brace that runs across the middle of the vent opening. This has to stay because the new fan housing that you bought has a crank handle that works with the existing crank to open and close the vent lid. The other brace that held the fan motor probably isn't absolutely necessary anymore, but on it's own would not be able to hold the fan motor since it doesn't go all the way across the vent opening and relies on the lid crank cross brace for support. It would be possible to make a fan brace out of sheet metal to hold the old fan if you wanted to use it elsewhere, but may not be worth it. I think after you use your new fan you may not care to spend any time, money, or effort re-installing the old loud one that doesn't push much air. I hope this helps.
Old 09-01-2013, 07:22 PM   #9

Thanks for your informative "how to". Just the info I needed and could not seem to get from the distributors or manufacturers. Mike
Old 09-01-2013, 08:06 PM   #10
Denver, CO

The quality of the Vortex II in my opinion, was not up to the other units like The create a breeze or maxair. The multi position switch was pretty cheezy and didn't have detents at the speed settings.

IMO

Nice how to tho.

Tags
fan