Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-06-2019, 08:04 AM   #1

want to install a DIY slid for storage unit.

Someone told me about Oldcoot did a slide using garage door rails and wheels. would like to chat with him or if someone else has a plan to do this slid please let me know.

I have a 2012 Sandpieper 365SAQ
zell66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 08:11 AM   #2

Yes he installed one in my 5er, what do you need to know?

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 08:12 AM   #3
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Here is a thread where Old Coot describes making the slide out shelves.

Slide out shelving - Old Coot.

Unfortunately, I've not see a post from Old Coot in quite some time although his statistics say he visited the site recently. I hope all is OK.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=86
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 08:18 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
Here is a thread where Old Coot describes making the slide out shelves.

Slide out shelving - Old Coot.

Unfortunately, I've not see a post from Old Coot in quite some time although his statistics say he visited the site recently. I hope all is OK.
For your info, just talked to OC , he and Frankie are doing well, he sold out of all his awning brackets, and will not be making anymore. He's back from Florida in Concord NC. He's not to active on the forum anymore but you can or any member can PM him, I'm sure he would enjoy that.

Old 05-06-2019, 09:41 AM   #5
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witch Doctor View Post
For your info, just talked to OC , he and Frankie are doing well, he sold out of all his awning brackets, and will not be making anymore. He's back from Florida in Concord NC. He's not to active on the forum anymore but you can or any member can PM him, I'm sure he would enjoy that.
Thanks WD.

I've always enjoyed his commentary and knowledge as I have yours and several other posters here. Old school, first hand knowledge is getting harder and harder to come by as evidenced by the direction of the posts on this site and other forums.

Hopefully the OP can use some of OC's past posts and get what they need.

Sorry, I derailed this post enough.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=86
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 09:44 AM   #6

I see in his photos how to do it and seems pretty strait forward. But with the rails not moving what stops the try from dropping down or falling off?
zell66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 10:21 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by zell66 View Post
I see in his photos how to do it and seems pretty strait forward. But with the rails not moving what stops the try from dropping down or falling off?
The rails are mounted on the deck, now you build a rack out of 1/4 " angle iron, make it less then your door opening. We used 1/2 " plywood for the floor set in angel iron , the important part is the rails . Make sure they are inside the door opening . You can make it as big as you want. When you pull the rack out it will come off the 2 rails. We installed normal rollers through the angle iron by drilling a hole and threading and bolting the shaft on each side of the angle iron about the base. We put a standard roller about every 8 to 12 "s . Things to remember when you pull it out it will come out of the rails no problem you put a handle or 2 and just pick it up a little and slide it in the rails. Learned fast to bring it out and measure to put a metal retainer stop so you can't get the last 2 wheels out of the tract. Also once installed to hold it in place drill a hole through the tract and install a drift pin to stop it from rolling. I made my wire stop about 3/4 of the tray being pulled out, I wanted at least 2 wheels still in the track. If I remember right we went to Farm supply and bought everything needed, it's a great mod, makes loading and unloading a past thing when you need something, any more questions or if you don't understand, I'll be glad to help you out.

Old 05-06-2019, 03:28 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by zell66 View Post
All you do is measure and connect a safety wire to the tray, I suggest to stop it before the last to wheels, would leave the track, if I remember right that is what we did.

Tags
storage