Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-10-2012, 09:41 AM   #1

wardrobe shelve ideas for Roo 19

I have been searching the forums for ideas for shelves for the narrow wardrobe in our 2012 Roo19. I would like to find free-standing wire or palstic shelves that can stack and be removed rather than build actual shelves. Has anyone found specific shelves that actually fit the Roo19 wardrobe? I have seen some great ideas, but having trouble finding actual wire or plastic shelves/storage that fit. Any links to products that work in 11" wide opening would be appreciated!
Cincy6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 06:49 PM   #2

I had to buy a 48 inch wire shelf at Lowes, and with a metal hand saw, cut the shelves at the width required. I also did the cupboard above the sink. I screwed the vertical brackets to the back, using 1 inch screws. Works real well.

I also changed to cupboard doors to open UP instead of sideways, after hitting my head too many times

Here are some pics:

Old 04-10-2012, 07:26 PM   #3
Site Team

I like the idea of the shelf in the OHC. If I had it done would it work to install it upside down so there's a rim to help things in?

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 07:45 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by miatared View Post
I had to buy a 48 inch wire shelf at Lowes, and with a metal hand saw, cut the shelves at the width required. I also did the cupboard above the sink. I screwed the vertical brackets to the back, using 1 inch screws. Works real well.

I also changed to cupboard doors to open UP instead of sideways, after hitting my head too many times

Here are some pics:

Miatard
Thanks for the pics. On the wardrobe shelves, did you just screw the 1 inch screws directly into the side wall of the Roo/Shamrock? Was there a stud there or did you go right into the wall? If you went right into the wall was there any concern with the weight pulling out the screw or damaging the wall? It looks like from you pics the shelves are adjustable and only suppport is the back. Love the design and I think I'll go with that assuming there is no issue with putting screws through the wall.

Thanks for the idea.
Old 04-10-2012, 08:22 PM   #5

I went with the vertical slotted tracks and clips so I could adjust the height.

I like the idea of the upside down wire shelving though.
Old 04-10-2012, 11:25 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cincy6

Miatard
Thanks for the pics. On the wardrobe shelves, did you just screw the 1 inch screws directly into the side wall of the Roo/Shamrock? Was there a stud there or did you go right into the wall? If you went right into the wall was there any concern with the weight pulling out the screw or damaging the wall? It looks like from you pics the shelves are adjustable and only suppport is the back. Love the design and I think I'll go with that assuming there is no issue with putting screws through the wall.

Thanks for the idea.
Yep, just screwed them in the back wall, no problems at all, no studs found. No issues with the weight or pulling out, as the design spreads the load to the full length. We put food and cans in there now.

As for inverting the shelf... The bracket and shelf design does not allow it, it does not clips but floats when reversed, I tried ....
Old 04-11-2012, 11:16 AM   #7

I bought those same wire shelves at Home Depot but have yet to install them (http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...all-21465.html). I too am concerned with just screwing into the back wall of the cabinet, so I'm going try and use toggle anchors to provide more support.

Old 04-11-2012, 11:21 AM   #8

Toggle anchors and screws are not an option for screws on the exterior/outside walls, which was my case....

Going on 3 years now, and the vertical bars and brackets have not moved at all. It is very sturdy.
Old 04-11-2012, 11:57 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by pg_rider View Post
I bought those same wire shelves at Home Depot but have yet to install them (http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...all-21465.html). I too am concerned with just screwing into the back wall of the cabinet, so I'm going try and use toggle anchors to provide more support.
I am assuming those would not work because the exterior wall (back of wardrobe) is not hollow to allow the breackets to open? I believe the Roo wall is filled with some type of styrofoam insualtion but I'm not sure. So far looks like screws are the way to go.
Old 04-11-2012, 12:02 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cincy6 View Post
I am assuming those would not work because the exterior wall (back of wardrobe) is not hollow to allow the breackets to open? I believe the Roo wall is filled with some type of styrofoam insualtion but I'm not sure. So far looks like screws are the way to go.
I've been wondering about that ever since I read this thread -- what if there isn't enough room behind the back of the cabinet wall for the toggle to fit? I'll probably try screws first, and if they start to pull out I'll look for a sturdier solution.
Old 04-11-2012, 01:43 PM   #11

Keep in mind the 1” screws only go in 3/4” as the bracket is 1/4” thick.

Screw in gently with a screwdriver until seated - no power tool.
Old 04-11-2012, 02:03 PM   #12

Has anyone tried self drilling anchors like these (or plastic ones) on an exterior wall for attaching shelves? I'm wondering if these may be sturdier than a screw alone?

Shop E-Z Ancor 50-Count Stud Solver Self-Drilling Drywall Anchors at Lowes.com
Old 04-11-2012, 06:39 PM   #13

I've run quite a few screws into the outside wall and they grab quite nicely, as long as you don't overtighten them and strip them out. Remember, the force on the shelves is down, not out so the screws should hold just fine. Just don't use screws that are too long!
Old 04-12-2012, 09:19 AM   #14

Bought some #10x1" wood screws last night at Lowes -- anyone see a problem using them with this style support? Didn't know if #8 or #6 (i.e. smaller diameter) screws would be better. Wish me luck!
Old 04-12-2012, 01:43 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by pg_rider View Post
Bought some #10x1" wood screws last night at Lowes -- anyone see a problem using them with this style support? Didn't know if #8 or #6 (i.e. smaller diameter) screws would be better. Wish me luck!
Let us know how it goes. I may plan on doing the same thing if you get good results.
Old 04-12-2012, 08:28 PM   #16

Sorry I don't have any pictures, but I developed a very simple solution to the shelving problem that didn't require any mods, screws, holes, or damage of any kind to the unit. I converted the tall wardrobe cabinets in our last trailer into a set of wardrobe shelves to suit our preferences

I bought a large sheet of 1/8" pegboard, and cut two pieces in the shape of the sides of the cabinet opening. Then I put the pegboard loose on each side and measure the remaining gap between the walls ( it should be 1/4" less than the original width). I cut shelves to fit the depth of the cabinet, and about 1/16" narrower than the new measured opening. Then I got some cheap plastic pegboard tabs designed to hold shelves from Lowes, and placed them at any height you choose, and since the pegboard has holes every 1", you have highly adjustable height settings. Next, slide the new shelves in diagonally and ease them down onto the plastic pegboard tabs. The compression of the shelves keeps the pegboard and the peg clips in place. Voila!! Instant shelves with no screws!

I took the shelves and supports out when I sold the trailer, and there was no damage to the original cabinet at all. just like new!
2 kids, one dog (a Golden)
Let's go camping!
Triathletedave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 09:53 PM   #17
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triathletedave View Post
Sorry I don't have any pictures, but I developed a very simple solution to the shelving problem that didn't require any mods, screws, holes, or damage of any kind to the unit. I converted the tall wardrobe cabinets in our last trailer into a set of wardrobe shelves to suit our preferences

I bought a large sheet of 1/8" pegboard, and cut two pieces in the shape of the sides of the cabinet opening. Then I put the pegboard loose on each side and measure the remaining gap between the walls ( it should be 1/4" less than the original width). I cut shelves to fit the depth of the cabinet, and about 1/16" narrower than the new measured opening. Then I got some cheap plastic pegboard tabs designed to hold shelves from Lowes, and placed them at any height you choose, and since the pegboard has holes every 1", you have highly adjustable height settings. Next, slide the new shelves in diagonally and ease them down onto the plastic pegboard tabs. The compression of the shelves keeps the pegboard and the peg clips in place. Voila!! Instant shelves with no screws!

I took the shelves and supports out when I sold the trailer, and there was no damage to the original cabinet at all. just like new!
Since I'm afraid of the drill (aka making holes) I like this idea! If you ever do get a couple of pics I would love to see them. Someday I will get a real camera but in the mean time I'm using my BlackBerry.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 08:54 AM   #18

I did the mod last night. I used the wire shelves, tracks and supports available at Home Depot (look similar to the ones on Miatared's pics) I did however use 1 1/4 inch screws since my tracks were 1/2 inch deep. This allowed about 3/4 inch penetration into the exteror wall. I also flipped the shelves over so the lip is on the top to prevent things from falling off. Shelves seem pretty sturdy and hopefully will make the wardrobe much more useful!
Old 04-13-2012, 09:06 AM   #19

Cincy6 -- pics!
Old 04-13-2012, 09:10 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terier View Post
Since I'm afraid of the drill (aka making holes) I like this idea! If you ever do get a couple of pics I would love to see them. Someday I will get a real camera but in the mean time I'm using my BlackBerry.
I've since sold the trailer, but I still have the pegboard and shelves. I'll see if I can 'mock it up' and take some pics to demonstrate. I was really happy with these shelves, because they were very stable, very strong, fully adjustable, and took less than a minute to remove. There was literally no damage to the original wardrobe or the clothes bar. When we sold it the cabinet looked like it was never used.

2 kids, one dog (a Golden)
Let's go camping!
Triathletedave is offline   Reply With Quote