Old 10-27-2010, 07:28 PM   #11
Nice job, I did the same mod on our 24RL Wildcat and plan on doing on our new 5vr.

f150k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 08:09 PM   #12
Villa Estate 392FLFB
mine came with a light switch to turn the hot water heater on, and it lights up when powered on.

One state/province at a time!
Full Timing - Salem Villa Estate - 392FLFB - Purchased July 29th 2010
The_Stuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 08:48 PM   #13
The Old Man
Originally Posted by The_Stuff View Post
mine came with a light switch to turn the hot water heater on, and it lights up when powered on.
I believe most of the newer FRs have dual gas/electric (Suburban) and a switch on the control panel that turns on the gas portion of the WH. And my gas WH switch lights up when on too. Are you sure you aren't talking about the gas switch? Before doing this mod the only way I could turn on the electric part of the WH was to go outside, drop the panel cover on the WH, and try to reach the tiny switch in the bottom left corner. Not so easy to find sometimes, even in broad daylight. But of course yours might be completely different!

On my previous TT (2000 Fleetwood) it came with a switch for electric WH in the kitchen area, but you had to light the gas manually from outside! And the switch was not lighted so I was never quite sure if it was off or on.

Before doing this mod I looked around for a switch with a light right in the switch itself. The ones I found like that for 110VAC would only light when the power was OFF. I could have made do with that, but preferred it to be lit when ON. The smaller lighted switches like on the control panel are 12VDC I think and wiring one of those in this circumstance would have required some sort of controller and just seemed like more trouble and expense than it would have been worth.

It would be nice if FR would just put a switch on the panel for both gas and electric modes. But like I said, wiring DC circuits to control 110VAC just adds time and expense and I'm sure that's why they don't do it. Maybe they do on the higher end models?
2010 Flagstaff 829RGSS

Still to go: AK, NL, NT, NU, YT
Willis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 06:16 PM   #14
Thanks for the info Willis. I did the same mod to mine today after reading your post. Nice mod which should come from the factory. Took me about an hour after picking up everything I needed at Home Depot. Total cost less than $15.
Bill And Theresa Perry, At Lake Gaston
2003 F 150 Super crew with 5.4 Tow package
bill and theresa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 08:42 AM   #15
What a great idea, one of the best mods I have seen. Thanks for sharing and great pictures. Can't wait to add this to our camper.
2013 SP 240 Anniversary
Tundra CrewMax 5.7L in Pyrite Mica
Clark, Mary Jane & Max our German Short-haired Pointer
Cmmjmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 11:10 AM   #16
Does anyone know if this mod is still necessary on a 2013 Windjammer 3008w? I think I asked the salesmen this question and I thought he told me it's all done on the inside control panel.
Rsbcool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 11:34 AM   #17
Phat Phrog Stunt Team
Do you have an electric switch inside on your control panel that says "hot water heater electric" and one that says "gas" ?

TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote