Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-11-2014, 08:29 AM   #1

Water Pressure Regulator

May be redundant but I am running the simple brass inline pressure reducer and after I changed to an Oxygenics shower head and eliminated the in line filter the pressure was still low. Put this together for $10, will allow me to vary and set the water pressure at the source before it goes to the TT and remove the brass reducer. Also removable if I need the second hose. Ideally, if the park has it, I want to get to about 50-55 psi, that should make things much better.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20141210_100720.jpg
Views:	461
Size:	266.4 KB
ID:	67473
Skippy38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 08:53 AM   #2

I never thought about putting my gauge on a wye, If you don't mind I'm going to steel your idea. If i'm over 55 I make sure I use my regulator. Only thing that I worry about is a spike in pressure. Which would be weird but could happen.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 08:53 AM   #3

That is pretty cool. What's the max pressure the RV can accept though. Thought it was around 35-40 psi. Maybe even lower.
rsv4pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 09:01 AM   #4
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

This is more of a water "flow" regulator then a "pressure" regulator.
you really cannot accurately vary pressure with this, if at all.
All your really doing is restricting flow.

You'd need a spring and needle and seat to vary pressure.

Am I wrong?
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 09:10 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TURBS View Post
This is more of a water "flow" regulator then a "pressure" regulator.
you really cannot accurately vary pressure with this, if at all.
All your really doing is restricting flow.

You'd need a spring and needle and seat to vary pressure.

Am I wrong?
I tested it on my house faucet to see if it worked. Basically, you vary the pressure with the faucet handle - turn it on more for more pressure and less for less pressure - until you get to your desired pressure reading instead of just hooking up and turning on the supply full blast and letting the brass reducer reduce it to 40 psi. I found that from my house faucet I could easily vary the pressure by varying the amount that I turned it on. Works well enough from the house supply so it should work from a park supply with a similar faucet hookup.
Old 12-11-2014, 09:17 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsv4pilot View Post
That is pretty cool. What's the max pressure the RV can accept though. Thought it was around 35-40 psi. Maybe even lower.
From my research your pipes should be good enough to handle up to 100 psi, it is the fixtures inside that will fail before the pipes. Everything that I have read says that around 60 psi should be max, and that may be a little on the high side for continued use.
Old 12-11-2014, 09:20 AM   #7
Site Team

You device will not vary the water pressure. It will have an impact on the pressure when you are using water, however once you shut off a faucet ( cease water use in the RV) , the pressure in the RV will be identical to the pressure in the source within less than a minute. This means the pressure in the RV most of the time will be identical to the source pressure which at some campgrounds can be very high ( 60+ PSI)

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 09:24 AM   #8
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

In a round about way your adjusting pressure by means of flow.

For example :
A true water regulator Will keep a constant set pressure no matter what the "in" pressure above set pressure is.

Example "true regulator"
80 lbs in set pressure at 50 lbs therefore 50 lbs out.

63 lbs in set pressure at 50 lbs therefore 50 lbs out.

Yours since it reduces water flow not pressure , if you use say the the shower and the sink at the same time your going to loose pressure and flow because you've restricted flow.

I hope this make sense.

Another scenerio would be if the cg water pressure varies from let's say 50 - 70 psi at any given moment "your" regulator is also going to vary because it cannot adjust it's self to maintain a constant pressure.

When cg is at 50 psi and you've regulated for that psi then it jumps to 70 psi your regulator may jump to 60 or more.
Old 12-11-2014, 09:25 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybob View Post
You device will not vary the water pressure. It will have an impact on the pressure when you are using water, however once you shut off a faucet ( cease water use in the RV) , the pressure in the RV will be identical to the pressure in the source within less than a minute. This means the pressure in the RV most of the time will be identical to the source pressure which at some campgrounds can be very high ( 60+ PSI)
This is Correct advice! Pressure will (Equalize) after shutdown! Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 09:29 AM   #10

I agree that it may reduce the flow if you are using multiple fixtures at the same time which we very seldom do. However, it should at least be a good way of discovering how much pressure the park source is giving me.
Old 12-11-2014, 09:33 AM   #11
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippy38 View Post
I agree that it may reduce the flow if you are using multiple fixtures at the same time which we very seldom do. However, it should at least be a good way of discovering how much pressure the park source is giving me.
That's all it will do is tell you cg pressure.
Old 12-11-2014, 11:50 AM   #12

Agree with Turbs. If you want something that can accurately vary water pressure, you will need one of these:
Water Pressure Regulator. Brass Lead-free Adjustable Water Pressure Reducer for Rv with Guage. Includes Inlet Screened Filter. Model A01-1117tm - - Amazon.com
Nights Camped: 2013 - 24 • 2014 - 42 • 2015 - 56 • Jul 2016 - Fulltime •
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 11:53 AM   #13
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSVBamaBob View Post
Agree with Turbs. If you want something that can accurately vary water pressure, you will need one of these:
Water Pressure Regulator. Brass Lead-free Adjustable Water Pressure Reducer for Rv with Guage. Includes Inlet Screened Filter. Model A01-1117tm - - Amazon.com
If you're going to buy a water pressure regulator, I strongly recommend the folks at RV Water Filter Store:
RV Water Filter Store: Standard Filter Canisters for Whole RV
Old 12-11-2014, 01:13 PM   #14
Canadian Member

ependydad, which model regulator are you using?
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 01:51 PM   #15
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by itat View Post
ependydad, which model regulator are you using?
The one that I have is the N55BG which is a Watts N55B water pressure regulator with oil-filled gauge.

I just hung it on my water bay wall and shortened a piece of hose to tidy up that area. I do NOT protect my water hose from the source to my camper- I know some do, but I personally don't.
Old 12-11-2014, 01:56 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
If you're going to buy a water pressure regulator, I strongly recommend the folks at RV Water Filter Store:
RV Water Filter Store: Standard Filter Canisters for Whole RV
I agree. On second look what I thought would work will not for my purpose. It is not a total loss as it WILL tell me what the pressure is from the source at the park though which is worth something.....
Old 12-11-2014, 02:35 PM   #17

I have one of these (lead free adjustable pressure regulators) as linked to above and love it. I set the PSI at 45 to 50. Used with an Oxygenics gives a good shower. I can hold the shower head down an arms length and it will spray above my head.

When water is running, my displayed PSI drops but returns to set level when flow stops. The folks suggesting that you are not controlling pressure with the valve are correct.

Bill

Life is a journey, not a destination.
2005 Georgetown 359ts
Bill & Virginia, Kentucky
Nights camped in 2011...78 , 2012...73,
Nights camped in 2013...123, 2014 ...101
bend302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 03:12 PM   #18

As pointed out it is not the plex lines you have to worry about, They are good to over 100 PSI. It is the fixtures that are rated at about 65 PSI per my dealer, that is what blows has happen to many on this forum mostly the bathroom ones the sink most common. In order not to have to worry or set pressure you need to change all your fixtures to household type. The fixtures in an RV are held together with "O" rings only. That is what blows not your fittings or pump or anything else. You can get the pressure of the park with that simple gauge, but It can suddenly increase that's the reason for using the regulator or restrictor which ever you want to call it. my Town supplies water at 75 PSI nothing blows and I have both Plex and copper lines.

Old 12-11-2014, 03:20 PM   #19

Why not just get the Watson 50 psi preset regulator at Lowes/Home depot. Don't have to worry about CG pressure. Adapters for connecting are also readily available. Should also use at least a 5/8" hookup hose. JMO
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 03:30 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles View Post
Why not just get the Watson 50 psi preset regulator at Lowes/Home depot. Don't have to worry about CG pressure. Adapters for connecting are also readily available. Should also use at least a 5/8" hookup hose. JMO
You are correct mine is preset at 45 which I think is low, but when I measure the park it's normally the same 45 PSI. or maybe 50 but not often. 5/8 hose probably would help, but now I have 3 hoses 1/2" that I save one I trade in my campers.

Tags
pressure, water