Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-13-2015, 03:23 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prism 24G View Post
I use Waze on iPhone and iPad mini parallel when i work in San Francisco for Lyft and both works perfect, on the trip of 3200 miles Waze work perfect on both too.
IPhone is on Att and iPad is on Werizon ....:-)
But, if you'd strayed off of the Interstate onto some of the Scenic Byways (where all the Best CGs and Destinations are found), then you'd be struggling for Cell Coverage (even with Verizon - T-Mobile and Sprint are almost useless out there). And without the constant Cellular Data, Apps like Waze or Google Driving Directions quickly become Frustrating or Useless.

Google once provided the ability for Offline Maps, but has since hidden it away and shrunk the Map Size such that this "Feature" is not a Viable Alternative to a real GPS or Navigation Device.
Old 08-13-2015, 04:01 PM   #22

I use Waze all over the place in Canada. I use it on my smart phone - so that it fits on my console it also integrates with my blue tooth and speaks directions to me.
I have saved hours with this app. I am a big fan. It is free and better than any GPS I have used.

Kevin - in Alberta
live_love_life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 04:08 PM   #23

Co-Pilot lets you download the maps you need and has full functionality as a navigation app off line if you have GPS in your tablet. Works on apple or android. It can also be set up for RV dimensions and other preferences. Works extremely well IMO and dragging routes to alternative roads is a lot easier than trying to make the Garmin or Magellan do the same.
Get CoPilot premium @ half price right now... HD version for tablets with maps for N america including canuk land...just 10 bucks over here... CoPilot Premium for Android, Windows Phone, iPhone and iPad

Yes, it eats battery life...solution lies in a USBcigarrette lighter adapter when underway.
2019 Vespa Primavera 150's (pair)
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 04:39 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarsMan View Post
Would be nice to have a great map program (free or cheap) which runs off GPS and does NOT need network access and bandwidth. I thought google maps needed data access to refresh the image. I am sure someone has already figured this out
CoPilot runs without data and saves maps to your tablet. And it looks like it is on sale according to the post above.
Filthy Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 07:59 PM   #25

If you buy a Bad Elf GPS receiver it comes with a free code for CoPilot
Spkittrick1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 09:34 PM   #26
Engineer of Crazy Train

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike618 View Post
Most tablets don't have an integrated gps unless they came with the data option

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Thats funny. I got 3 Android tablets, 2 of then 4G and one WiFi onky, and they all have GPS.
Locomotive Engineer
Nights Camping --- 2015 - 19 Camped | Winterized -- 2014 -18
Come read my Camping Blogs
ChooChooMan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 09:42 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChooChooMan74 View Post
Thats funny. I got 3 Android tablets, 2 of then 4G and one WiFi onky, and they all have GPS.

The wifi only uses wifi for location services does not have a gps antenna

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums

2014 Flagstaff 831RKBSS
2001 Suburban 2500/6.0
1999 Chevy 2500/6.0
mike618 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 09:14 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolarisGuy View Post
If you guys are on Android, try out BackCountry Navigator Pro. Doesn't require data, uses gps only, can save maps, waypoints, and more. I use it on our ATV adventures and it has never let me down once. Lots of maps you can use as well. That one app alone is enough to keep me on Android, although I would rather be back on iPhone.
Good app, I use it on my Sony tablet loaded with topo maps showing 4x4 roads and trails.

Living somewhere in ID; previously lived in Moab UT; previous to that, don't ask!
f5moab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 10:37 AM   #29

Quote:
The wifi only uses wifi for location services does not have a gps antenna.
Actually, that is one of the big differentiators between iPads and Android Tablets (and Windows Tablets too). Apple reserves the actual GPS Circuitry for their 3G/LTE iPads - it's part of Apple's "Value Proposition" for these more expensive models. Samsung, LG, ASUS, et al in the Android and Windows Markets, are under no such hardware constraints and often add GPS Circuitry to their Wifi-only Tablets.

Those without built-in GPS can often "survive" based on the Location Services provided as part of their 3G/4G Data Service. Or they can add an External GPS (Bad Elf, Garmin, etc) as long as they have a USB-To-Go Port (for Andriod/Windows) or 30-pin Connector (for iOS Devices).

But in all cases, one will still be restricted to requiring an active Wifi (usually HotSpot from 3G/4G Data) or 3G/4G Connection, in order to download-on-the-fly map segments and POI Data and Traffic Info and all the other stuff that Waze or Google Maps (or Apple Maps) present on their Navigation GUI.

There are a few 3rd-party Nav Apps that also use on-the-fly Map Data, but most will instead use Persistent/Downloaded Map Data that is either part of the LARGE Initial Install or else Downloaded as part of the Destination Routing process. (The latter doesn't help much when you are "Off Exploring" without a Pre-selected Destination...)
Old 08-14-2015, 03:18 PM   #30
Engineer of Crazy Train

Quote:
The wifi only uses wifi for location services does not have a gps antenna

I think seigell pretty much summed it up. Samsung Note 8" tablet has real GPS. I got that one loaded with CoPilot.
Locomotive Engineer
Nights Camping --- 2015 - 19 Camped | Winterized -- 2014 -18
Come read my Camping Blogs
ChooChooMan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 06:12 AM   #31

I just got copilot and it is quite confusing! I put it on an android tablet I just got and I'm used to iOS so there's a learning curve but it seems I purchased it but can't install it but I got the free trial. I guess I'll get there eventually.

Walt_l in WV
2010 coachman freelander
walt_l is offline   Reply With Quote