Most tablets don't have an integrated gps unless they came with the data option

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

Mike and Mary

2014 Flagstaff 831RKBSS
2001 Suburban 2500/6.0
1999 Chevy 2500/6.0
mike618 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 10:06 AM   #12
If you guys are on Android, try out BackCountry Navigator Pro. Doesn't require data, uses gps only, can save maps, waypoints, and more. I use it on our ATV adventures and it has never let me down once. Lots of maps you can use as well. That one app alone is enough to keep me on Android, although I would rather be back on iPhone.

RV: 2016 Stealth WA2916 Toy Hauler
TV: 2005 F250 PSD
2012 Polaris Sportsman 850XP
2014 Brute Force 300 (daughters)
2016 Days Camped: 22
Check Us Out On YOUTUBE!!
PolarisGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 11:45 AM   #13
Originally Posted by walt_l View Post
I have a garmin gps that 2-3 years old that works fine. I love the WAZE app on my phone.

Has anyone used a tablet with waze as a gps and how well does it work?

What tablet?

Walt_l in WV
2010 coachman freelander
I love Waze, it works better and much more accurate than my GPS.
It continually updated itself.
TomW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 11:54 AM   #14
Any Mapping App that is based on Data Connection is bound to let you down at times - especially Out West (would think there are numerous Dead Zones in WV too). And don't be fooled by Phone Apps which use the Cell Towers for Location Info vs a true GPS Satellite reading (in country with only widely spaced towers your location is accurate to within "a few miles").
Myself, I've become frustrated with Google Maps based Driving Directions, as too often it tries to route me across Forest Roads which become 4x4 Trails (that might even be Closed by NFS) before reaching the Destination. And often its Driving Time Estimates assert 55MPH across these "ruts".
It's too bad that the ability to insert Ads and offer Points-of-Interest, and the predominence of Urban/Suburban Users, has doomed most Local PC-based/Map-based in favor of the One-Size-Fits-All Google and Apple and Bing Maps.
Pup: '11 HW-296
TV: '09 RAM 1500 Hemi 4x4 CC
seigell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 12:09 PM   #15
I use Waze on my phone and did try it on my iPad, but I am not comfortable with it. I deleted it and reverted to my phone. I agree with Phil57. Every time I go on a road trip, I always call Sprint to have my hotspot service turned on.
~~Mark & Peggy~~
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 305RKDS (stolen, found, and traded)
2015 Heritage Glen 302FK
pulled by 2012 Dodge Ram 2500 Diesel
OBX Forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 01:13 PM   #16
I use Waze on iPhone and iPad mini parallel when i work in San Francisco for Lyft and both works perfect, on the trip of 3200 miles Waze work perfect on both too.
IPhone is on Att and iPad is on Werizon ....:-)
Prism 24G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 01:29 PM   #17
If you need GPS on a tablet BAD ELF makes GPS receivers that work on Bluetooth or plug into apple products and work great with most navigation apps I used mine in the boat offshore and it worked great. It also works in airplanes too. I paid $99 for mine which plugs into either my iPad or iPhone.
Spkittrick1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 02:22 PM   #18
Engineer of Crazy Train
My last trip of 1400+ miles, I used WAZE on my tablet. No issues. Of course, the ETA is WAY off, as I tow at 60MPH. It is nice when travelling to the same place with others, but not travelling as a group.
TV - 2015 Ram Truck EcoDiesel
TV - 2006 Jeep Liberty Turbo Diesel (Retired to Daily Driver)
TT - 2015 Rockwood Roo 183
Locomotive Engineer
Nights Camping --- 2015 - 19 Camped | Winterized -- 2014 -18
Come read my Camping Blogs
ChooChooMan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 02:29 PM   #19
You don't say what phone you use Waze on. I've used Waze on my iPhone but never on my iPad (I expect it would work). I also have Waze on my Android phone so, it should be available for tablets running Android OS. On Apple products, a purchase made for one iDevice (say iPhone) can also be legally run on your other iOS devices (say iPad). I don't know if that's true for Android-based devices. For GPS, I prefer other Apps such as CoPilot (when driving LARGE RVs), TomTom (when I'm in my Prius) or Garmin. I image Waze might be better if you want to coordinate with other people who are at other locations.
jkoenig24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 02:36 PM   #20
I have an iPhone. That being said, the cost of an android device is half what an iPad costs and waze is free.

Walt_l in WV
2010 coachman freelander

walt_l is offline   Reply With Quote