Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-13-2016, 11:57 AM   #1

Weights: Murphy Bed and couch

Hello. We own a 2014 Micro Lite 23LB. We are researching the option to remove the murphy bed and couch and replace them with a sleeper sofa. Does anyone here or any trolling FR factory personnel know what the combined weight of the murphy bed and couch are? This is would allow us to decide if this is a go/no go modification. Thank you.

'09 BMW X5 xDrive35D (TV)
'15 Porsche Cayenne Diesel (Wife's)
'15 Flagstaff Micro Lite 23LB (TT)
MudyOvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 09:51 PM   #2

We are looking at a murphy bed camper..just curious about why you want to do this? It certainly sounds interesting. I hope you get an answer to your question, in case we want to do the same. Will you lose the pass through storage if you have any?

2014 Rockwood Roo 23IKSS
2012 Dodge Ram 1500 Hemi 4X4
Me, Hubby and Luna the Lab
sewingcybermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 12:47 AM   #3
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudyOvl View Post
Does anyone here or any trolling FR factory personnel know what the combined weight of the murphy bed and couch are?
Just to eliminate it, there is no Rockwood/Flagstaff personnel on the Forum or that responds to posts here.

Unfortunately we only have a handful of FR employees that post here.
As a Rockwood owner, I wish we did.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 12:30 PM   #4

SewingCyberMom, There are a few reasons we are looking to make this swap and here they are:
1) Comfort Sleeper Sofa is a much more comfortable couch and its standard mattress is just as comfortable as our RV mattress and 4" foam topper.
2) Sleeper sofa is a true queen size so our feet won't hang over the edge.
3) We would gain additional open floor space in front of couch.
4) Quicker set up. No need to flatten couch then pull down bed.
5) Lower bed height. We current have a 4" foam topper on our RV mattress and at 6'1", it's a tall step/jump for me to get on the bed.
6) We would like to reduce the tongue weight of the camper.
7) A few owners have reported issues/failures with their murphy bed installation. (e.g. lose screws, hinge detachment, etc.)

Negatives:
1) We would lose the storage area under the jack-knife couch, but we would be willing to accept this.
2) We do not have a pass thru because of the murphy bed, so that is a wash.

BikenDan, Thanks for the update. Yes, it would be nice if we have responses/feedback from the factory. If I email the factory, is there a specific department/division that could respond to my inquiry?

Thanks!

Old 09-21-2016, 01:18 PM   #5

Interesting post, please keep us informed as to what you do. I am wanting to change out the sofa in my unit as it is too short for me to lie down on. I'm only 5' 9". The curved dinette is a waste of space to me as we almost always eat outside. I've done the measuring and IF I could shorten the main cushion of the dinette then I could put a household sized sleeper sofa in the camper. And for those who think this: Yes, the household sized sleeper sofa can be taken apart to place within the camper. The wooden framework of the dinette would be easy to modify, it's just shortening the cushion that I cannot figure out how to do. I'm thinking of taking the seat and back rest cushions to an automotive trim shop to see if they can do it.
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 02:19 PM   #6
Site Team

Quote:

BikenDan, Thanks for the update. Yes, it would be nice if we have responses/feedback from the factory. If I email the factory, is there a specific department/division that could respond to my inquiry?

Thanks!
Contact the Rockwood/Shamrock rep.
Used to be Gregg Rollins but it was a number of years ago when I last contacted him.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 05:03 PM   #7

Quote:
Hello. We own a 2014 Micro Lite 23LB. We are researching the option to remove the murphy bed and couch and replace them with a sleeper sofa. Does anyone here or any trolling FR factory personnel know what the combined weight of the murphy bed and couch are? This is would allow us to decide if this is a go/no go modification. Thank you.
you have really peaked my interest here. If we sell our 23ikss, we will be either going to a classC (if we can afford) or most likely a 2304DS with a murphy bed. Now...I really have no need for a dinette and think that most are just a big waste of space. Here's my plan if we end up with our 2304DS:
leave the murphy bed in place, and either remove the big clunky U-dinette or table/chair set up. Put in this area a nice KING fold out sofa. The floor space is huge, and there is plenty of width in that slide, so I'd prefer to go BIG. I'd love two couches instead of that dinette combo, or maybe put a the dinette table with chairs where the murphy bed is. Just thinking out loud, but I wonder how heavy the u-dinette is in comparison to a king sofa bed.

Let me know if you get your questions answered.

2014 Rockwood Roo 23IKSS
2012 Dodge Ram 1500 Hemi 4X4
Me, Hubby and Luna the Lab
sewingcybermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 10:33 AM   #8

The queen size Comfort Sleeper Sofa (CSS) is weighing in at 280 lbs. The side night stands will need to be trimmed a little. We could go with a Full-size CSS and not have to touch the cabinets. This will be a tough decision since DW really wants to keep the same mattress size.

I am still waiting to hear from Lippert Components whom I was referred to by Forest River's contact. Not sure there will be a weight savings, but comfort, usability and floor space will be improved. I will keep feeding information as it comes in.

Tags
bed, weight