Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-09-2016, 02:43 PM   #21

I have a trailer and added a Stromburg Carlson front mount and it holds my generator but mine is not a fifth wheel. https://www.strombergcarlson.com/sto...02014915am.jpg
NorSnrub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 03:08 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Im4dej View Post
The frame on the camper has 2- 12in. I. Beams. That run all the way from the front all the way back to the rear and I was going to cut the bumper off and weld straight to the frame
Im4dej: I've attached sketches of the receivers on my Roo 19 and my Mini-lite 2503S for your consideration. I liked the Roo one better, but both held up just fine. My dealer put both of them on.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Roo Hitch.pdf (213.0 KB, 75 views)
File Type: pdf Mini Lite Hitch.pdf (222.9 KB, 72 views)

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 03:26 PM   #23

If you RV is more then two years, and you did get the extra warranty from Forest River
for the second year, you don't have a warranty on the frame any longer. Additionally, I have not found an extended warranty/service contract that cover frames. I have also been told that they don't cover delamination
whj77372 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 08:04 PM   #24
Site Team

The frame has its own separate warranty, from the manufacturer.
Mine was 5 or 6 years.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 10:14 PM   #25

I just added a receiver to my Crusader. The twisting action is the biggest issue as long as you don't get high on the tongue weight. Mine might be overkill, but it has three cross members that tie in the receiver. The third tongue is 36" deep.
Randy-2198 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 01:09 PM   #26

If I were to do it I'd need to replace the bumper with a thicker one, mine is paper thin. I've also seen some nice brackets that help with where the bumper meets the frame.

Mine is still under warranty so until that expires I'm not touching it. I heard FR might ask for pictures of the bumper if there's ever a frame/suspension issue.

I actually wrote FR about adding a "bike mount" and they explicitly said "don't do it" the ultralite frame was designed only for what comes on it.

I've seen some heavy diamond plate boxes added on to trailers but most of those had heavier frames to start with. If yours is an ultralite I'd be careful.

If you have a spare tire on the bumper now and moved it off the bumper then having a couple of bicycles there does not seem too much, but adding other stuff like a generator, perhaps a box to enclose it, heavier bumper (maybe), plus the heavy metal to reinforce all of it then the weight starts to add up.
2003 Dodge Cummins w/Banks 3:73
CraigBean7672 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 04:11 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigBean7672 View Post
If I were to do it I'd need to replace the bumper with a thicker one, mine is paper thin. I've also seen some nice brackets that help with where the bumper meets the frame.

Mine is still under warranty so until that expires I'm not touching it. I heard FR might ask for pictures of the bumper if there's ever a frame/suspension issue.

I actually wrote FR about adding a "bike mount" and they explicitly said "don't do it" the ultralite frame was designed only for what comes on it.

I've seen some heavy diamond plate boxes added on to trailers but most of those had heavier frames to start with. If yours is an ultralite I'd be careful.

If you have a spare tire on the bumper now and moved it off the bumper then having a couple of bicycles there does not seem too much, but adding other stuff like a generator, perhaps a box to enclose it, heavier bumper (maybe), plus the heavy metal to reinforce all of it then the weight starts to add up.
This is not a a ultralight frame it has 2-12in steel I-beams from the back all the way to the front
Im4dej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 09:27 PM   #28

Great advice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigBean7672 View Post

Craig,
Good point. My bikes are racing bikes. Not heavy. But I want a nice bike rack where the bikes go standing up. Some manufactures like Keystone (Cougar) comes now with a hitch. I've seen people welding a tube from frame and go under bumper with the hitch. But I agree with you. I just bought mine. I'm not playing with warranty. I guess the bikes are going to travel in my living room.
Thanks
H
Hman0109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 06:24 AM   #29

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1470914631.995273.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	64.6 KB
ID:	116886Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1470914659.055422.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	126.6 KB
ID:	116887
fishooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 07:15 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
The frame has its own separate warranty, from the manufacturer.
Mine was 5 or 6 years.

If your frame was made by Lippert components (LCI) which most if not all Forest River towables frames are today, your warranty is one year. It is also listed as covered for the 2nd year if you buy the Forest River 2nd year warranty availible for most towables. That is the only thing that is clear about frame warranties.

I wanted a copy of the specific documentation from Lippert components relating to their frame warranty. I talked to them when my water tank supports failed on our Roo. They said they warrant the frame for 1 year. They refuse to provide the warranty documentation. I have asked two different LCI customer service reps and both said they would send me a copy. That was months ago. I then sent a registered letter requesting it....now twice. They were both signed for by the same individual and went unanswered. So what is covered, what are the full terms, is it by LCI or Forest River or a combination of both because from what documentation is availible and what LCI will tell you they provide 1 year and evidently Forest River provides the second if you buy the FR extended warranty? Who the hell knows?
Mr Havercamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 04:02 PM   #31
Site Team

Well, my 2007 Roo must not have a Lippert frame cause I got paperwork stating it had a 5 or 6 year warranty.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fifth wheel, sierra, wheel