Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-14-2013, 09:02 PM   #1
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

WFCO 8955an to PD conversion

I recently had a chance to help one of my close friends remove his dead wfco converter from his wfco distribution center.
We replaced the 55 amp wfco with a PROGGRESIVE DYNAMICS 70 amp with charge wizard.
A few years back I replaced mine with the same and only had to trim a corner of the housing.
Well, wfco must have changed the case design a little bit or PD has made there 70 amp unit a little bigger.
We had to cut the whole back of the converter housing out to move the new PD unit back a 1/2" to clear the front cover.

Total install time was about 45 minutes.
Click image for larger version

Name:	wfco8955an.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	57.4 KB
ID:	30530

TURBS
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 12:19 AM   #2

I just did a similar conversion, without the larger unit (stayed with the 55A) and the PD unit was too tall to fit into the cavity the WFCO came out of. I had a large void behind my power center to mount it in behind, just drilled a couple holes to run the cables through the back of the case. Took me a couple hours to install with mounting the unit behind the power centre (rotate it a couple times to get cables to run properly, not chafe on anything )

looking at your picture I think possibly they have changed it, my converter section didn't have the metal shroud on it as the one pictured does

Couple things of interest tho, My trailer has 6 ga cable running to the power centre, but the WFCO converter only has 8 ga cables on it, the ground cable on the 12V side was pushed in too far, and had alot of the wire jacket under the terminal screw with only a few strands squashed into the outside of the insulation, the Black wire on the 120V side was only sitting in the circuit breaker, (screw had backed off) I am somewhat surprised that this thing didn't burn anything yet! But also possibly explains why the WFCO always seemed to be stuck in 1 mode!

I have a voltmeter plugged into one of my power ports and it is nice to see that it has cycled though all 4 modes over the last few days, a little surprised to see it go into bulk mode right off the bat, even after a 4 hour drive home. ( I disconnected the battery right after getting home the previous weekend) Might be some hope left for my battery that I thought was toast!
Nights camped in 2015 - 20
Ditchooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 06:30 AM   #3
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Thanks for the info!
Some units are as you have done with the converttt mounted outside the wfco housing.

Turbs
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote