Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-18-2014, 09:25 PM   #1
Take The Road Less Travld

What does adding a second battery actually give me?

I've contemplated adding a second battery to my Roo 233s. I have the room in the front to do so but wasn't really sure how much more time life I would get. When on battery, I try not to run much but the fans and the radio, then of course lights at night for only necessary needs. They are all LED lights but the fans are the regular 12 volt. I know it all depends really upon what I run, but is the cost worth it? Anyone out there feel it probably isn't worth it?
I've been an RVer since 2007, Lifetime Camper
Gotta love the Outdoors, Disconnect and Enjoy Nature!
MuddauberE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 10:48 PM   #2
Site Team

adding a MATCHING second battery is only worth it if you plan on dry camping or boondocking.

if you always have electric hookups, there's really no need to add a second battery.

since our state parks out in California, don't have hookups in 99% of their campsites, dry camping is a way of life out here and two batteries are very necessary.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 01:43 AM   #3
Site Team

When I added a second battery I opted to replaced and upgrade the original battery too. There can be several factors involved to consider - from type of batteries to how much you draw from the batteries plus how you will be recharging them.

All but once I have camped with full hookups but I'm still pleased with my choice to add a second battery in case of dry camping. When I did dry camp I used a light or two for a limited time while using 1-2 D-batteries operated lanterns instead.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 01:57 AM   #4

Well it depends on if you need it. If you don't dry camp, you don't need it. If you dry camp, then yeah you will. Me, for the most part I'm plugged in but I do like going places that are primitive so I've got a four battery setup.

Nights camped in 2014-28, 2015-127, 2016-10
SKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 05:50 AM   #5

We are camping at a state park this weekend without hook ups. I've opted to add a second battery but I am not wiring it up. I'm taking it along as a spare just in case. If I need it I will just switch it out with the other one. I have 2 solar chargers with me also so I will be able to recharge during the day. In July we are camping at Assateague State Park in MD for 6 days so I am anticipating needing the second battery.

Like others have stated, you do not need it if you have electric hook up. Why would you want the extra expense for something you will not use unless the camp electric goes out?
Old 05-19-2014, 06:01 AM   #6

We've found that the dual battery / upgrade to 6v deep cycle batteries and solar have opened up our campsite possibilities, like the cheaper, no-hookup sites that seem to be a larger sites and away from everyone else. It has also allowed us more comfort, think more lights, radio on, more heater run time, etc when we dry-camp and boondock.

Certainly not for everyone.

2000 Cherokee 31BH, "flipped axles and raised",LEDs, solar, inverter, etc..aka "boondock ready". '07 Tundra 5.7L DC-LB, modded as well.
Old 05-31-2014, 07:11 PM   #7

^^^^^^^ I like your way of thinking. We have only been on 7 trips so far, and we kinda got wrapped up in the whole RV Park settings. We camped for years, but when I got pretty much disabled (in fact I'm 100% disabled Vet) ,not that that stops me, but we stopped camping with the kids in the late 90's. We missed it, but we do like the comforts of the TT, and those parks make it easy to pull in and out of.

I'm thinking we should try some CG's also. I know were missing out. We would also save a bundle of money also. You got me thinking. Thanks.
Jammer3025 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 08:19 PM   #8

You're welcome. The initial investment is worth it. Spend your money with proper upgrades and do it as you have the money. Once set up, you'll save money and camping even more. We just spent 5 nights, ocean side, within a 10 mile drive of a costal resort town (Ocean City MD) for $140. Can't beat that.

2000 Cherokee 31BH, "flipped axles and raised",LEDs, solar, inverter, etc..aka "boondock ready". '07 Tundra 5.7L DC-LB, modded as well. C-co, 8/158th, AVN.
Old 05-31-2014, 10:31 PM   #9
Take The Road Less Travld

I really like the idea of boondocking. Not sure where around ohio that can be enjoyable, but spring and fall camping are my favorite as you can open all the windows and let the air flow.
I've been an RVer since 2007, Lifetime Camper
Gotta love the Outdoors, Disconnect and Enjoy Nature!
MuddauberE is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery