Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-10-2018, 12:06 PM   #1

What does generator ready mean, exactly?

I have a 2017 Wolfpack 37' (15pack12) toy hauler travel trailer that is "generator ready" so has the display and on/off switch by the master bed, and a wiring harness in the generator compartment.
I picked up an older Onan 3k generator that has low hours and is in good shape and I'd like to install it for this camping season, but I can't find any information at all on the wiring codes or exactly what would be necessary to install the darn thing. I've got a fuel line coiled up behind the generator compartment that goes to the 30 gal on board fueling station, I've got the bundle of wires that seems to go to the start stop panel, and it looks like I've got a junction box that I assume has 110 input for the generator. None of this pierces the sheet metal pan in the generator compartment.

Anyone done this? Pointers or web sites? Can't find info anywhere in my camper documentation and I can't find any info on Cummins/Onan. My generator is an older model.
OneManWolfPack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 08:05 PM   #2

you've3 pretty much got it all. obviously you hook the fuel line to the generator. the generator manual will show where this is connected. the wires from the remote switch get connected to the generator (the generator manual will show where). you most likely have an automatic transfer switch installed as part of the generator ready. there may or may not be power cables to connect the generator output to the transfer switch input. again the generator manual will show where these are connected. you will need to connect the 12 volt batteries to the generator. those cables may or may not already be supplied. the generator manual will show where these are connected.

you did not mention an enclosure to put the generator into. ours came with a sheet metal enclosure that the generator fits into.

the installation involves cutting a properly sized hole in the floor of the compartment and mounting the generator. you will also need things like exhaust pipes, pipe hangers, flanges, etc.

i'm sure I person with some experience could do this themselves. but the cutting of the floor and supporting the generator are something I would not want to have done improperly. also, getting the generator lifted up and positioned in the compartment will take some form of lifting device.
Old 05-10-2018, 08:29 PM   #3

So you cut the bottom out of the sheet metal enclosure? I was under the impression you wanted to make as few holes in that as possible. I can't find any info in the books that came with the camper about the transfer switch and etc. I'm pretty disappointed in that aspect of it. I wasn't expecting a how to manual but I'd I thought I could at least find what it has and where it's located.
OneManWolfPack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 09:32 PM   #4

please do not take my word for how to install the generator. on ours the floor of the compartment was cut out and then a grate was put across the area that had been cut out. I do not know if any support bars were installed. I know the cut out area is smaller than the generator footprint as there are mounting bolts through the generator mounting lugs and through original flooring. on our generator (onan 5500) there are several things that hang below the generator and you access them from underneath. (oil filter, oil drain tube, exhaust pipe). also there is a fan on the generator that is mounted on the bottom of the generator chassis that uses outside air pulled up through the grate for cooling.

again this is just us. in no way would i want you to make decisions or actions based upon our experience. onan has a pretty good website, go online and get the installation manual for your specific generator.
Old 05-11-2018, 02:24 PM   #5

Definitely go on the internet for info. You will find Onan generator videos on You Tube as well.

Good luck

Bill

Life is a journey, not a destination.
2005 Georgetown 359ts
Bill & Virginia, Kentucky
Nights camped in 2011...78 , 2012...73,
Nights camped in 2013...123, 2014 ...101
bend302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 11:25 AM   #6

Here is how I did it.

Had a heck of a time finding wiring diagram I was happy with.
finally found one somewhere that looked right to connect the generator ready wiring to the generator.
here you are for what is worth. kept the pieces I cut out incase I need to put them back.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2016-07-25 15.22.32.jpg
Views:	342
Size:	240.8 KB
ID:	172084  
jeepin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 11:26 AM   #7

I forgot to mention I got a template from Onan, free of charge.
jeepin1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator