Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-11-2015, 12:45 PM   #1

What"s the best way to hang things on the wall?

We just purchased our first travel trailer and we are so excited about doing some mods and decorating inside to make it our own. What is the best way to hang things on the walls, such as a clock, spice rack, etc? I am thinking Command Strips instead of screws for things that aren't heavy. Would I need to remove the clock off the wall when we travel? What about something like hanging a toilet paper holder. Our trailer is a 2011 and in the bathroom it has a toothbrush holder, soap holder, towel ring and towel bar on the wall already but for some reason, the matching toilet paper holder was never installed but they left it in one of the drawers. I thought these would all have been installed at the factory but I can't see anywhere in the bathroom where this was installed at one time. There are no screws holes that I can find. What would be the best way to install it? I'm afraid if I screw it in the wall, it's going to come off at some time.
Old 02-11-2015, 12:49 PM   #2

The wife is a firm believer in the 3M hooks. They seem to work pretty well with the lighter items.
2006 Polaris H.O. 500EFI Sportsman
1996 Harley Davidson Heritage Softail
jlbreaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 12:57 PM   #3

I use the Command hooks for lightweight items (keys, clock, etc) but beware of hanging heavier items - especially if you have a textured wall. I put two 5# hooks in our bedroom to hold jackets and they were in the floor before I knew it. I do take our clock, and other decorative plaques off the wall before traveling. Our toilet paper holder was never installed either, but I opted for a standing floor holder. Congrats on your new travel trailer. You will love it.
Old 02-11-2015, 01:16 PM   #4

We have used the 3M command strips to good effect. They seem to hold things that are quite heavy even over rough roads. I have a decorative picture frame (made of resin, so it's got a good heft to it) on the wall that's been up for a full year and it's stuck on there good - it has never come loose at all. Just be sure that the wall is clean and dry and that you follow the directions when applying and you should be in great shape.

- Randy
Old 02-11-2015, 02:46 PM   #5

Don't know much about your trailer, but I would hang the TP holder where I can reach without throwing my back out, or knocking it over while getting into position. perhaps it can mount on the vanity? Consider using a 1 x 1 block inside the vanity for additional support to screw into.

-5 Days till the start of Spring Training!
David 01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 03:01 PM   #6

Another vote for the 3m hooks, work very well for the stuff we have hanging.

We used some Command Velcro strips to hang some framed pictures.
Old 02-11-2015, 03:30 PM   #7

Command strips and hooks work great when matched to the purpose properly. Things that are of greater heft or just need support like that TP holder - well, hollow wall anchors are your friend! I personally do not like most plastic insert styles (they are a couple well-designed though), so I tend to go with the time-proven Molly bolt.
geotex1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 05:20 PM   #8

We used heavy duty Velcro to hold the clock. It stays on the wall constantly.
dkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 08:08 PM   #9

Duct tape. All the way
around. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1423703306.558122.jpg
Views:	448
Size:	153.9 KB
ID:	69514
mlineman55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 08:29 PM   #10

Send a message via MSN to GreenImp
Quote:
Originally Posted by geotex1 View Post
Command strips and hooks work great when matched to the purpose properly. Things that are of greater heft or just need support like that TP holder - well, hollow wall anchors are your friend! I personally do not like most plastic insert styles (they are a couple well-designed though), so I tend to go with the time-proven Molly bolt.

Good advice here! To expand on this a little, you will most likely need some extra short ones (molly bolts that is), as the ones for your home are too long (in more ways than one). I use "20x1/8" XS". If space permits, you can use a rivet gun to set them so you don't have to try and press the spikes into the Luan. And on that note...Pop Rivets can be very useful for hanging things too...depending on your circumstances.
Dad's old 1968 Empi Imp (recently recovered from under 21 years worth of boxes/dust)
GreenImp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 01:04 PM   #11
Atlantic Canada Racefan

Wall Attaching

3M makes a tape for attaching heavier object to walls, brick, anything. The beauty of this is that you can remove it without damaging the walls. It is available in rolls at the hardware store 3M heavy duty double sided tape....it works well. everything I have on the walls or tables is attached wit this and has been dependable for 3 years. I comes in a red package and the tape has a red covering.
Racefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 01:32 PM   #12

As for your TP holder just get some screws and find a place that works for you and install. You will only need approx. 1" screws. We installed ours and a lot of other RV do not have them installed, guess they let you place it where you like. Not sure what trailer you have but your walls should be approx. 2" thick.
&
Our Baby Dachshund
Cammie
ramair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 01:43 PM   #13
Atlantic Canada Racefan

3M Tape

I have been able to attach virtually everything with this tape without making a hole.
Racefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 01:59 PM   #14

I use the command strips also..But when I need to install a screw I always put a little glue on the screw to keep it in place..Generally use Elmers..

Toad 2015 Toyota Tacoma
Tbonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 02:25 PM   #15

Command strips for me as well as "industrial strength" VELCRO. The latter has held the clocks of my last few RVs over some pretty bumpy roads. It has held my key rack for a couple of years. I bought a small wooden magazine rack and put my DirecTV receiver in it. The VELCRO has kept it held firmly against the wall (the base is resting on the counter next to bed in a 21FBRS) It keeps my coffee pot in place as I drive down the road. I also use it to hold the sides of the curtains to the wall (helps with the light in the morning). It's expensive, but worth it.
00buck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 03:34 PM   #16

I'm not familiar with your trailer but this may work for you too. I hung my t-paper bar on the inside of the cabinet door under my sink and just pull it through and over the top of the cabinet door. Leave a square hanging so you don't have to open the door everytime. It's out of the way and works well.
J W Bowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 04:11 PM   #17
Paradise has arrived!

Command strips...I know someone who, many years ago, was hanging a small shelf and ended up creating a little fresh air hole to the outside. Unfortunately I know that person really, really well!
Old 02-12-2015, 05:13 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by J W Bowman View Post
I'm not familiar with your trailer but this may work for you too. I hung my t-paper bar on the inside of the cabinet door under my sink and just pull it through and over the top of the cabinet door. Leave a square hanging so you don't have to open the door everytime. It's out of the way and works well.
That's a grand idea! My tp's been sitting on my counter while i considered options. Thanks!

The Bunkhouse! 2015 Coachmen Apex 288BHS
2014 Ford F-150 EB
Let's Ride
!
Bunkhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 07:00 PM   #19

?

There is a product called E-Z Anchors. They come in plastic or lead. You need to make a small starter hole and then just screw in the anchor. I cut off the first 1/4 inch [which is not needed] because camper walls are not very thick. I use these a lot at work and have never had a problem with them. I Allways keep some at home and in our TT.
Old 02-13-2015, 05:07 PM   #20
Do It Yourselfer

Toilet Paper holder

I installed the TP holder inside the bath cabinet door. Two faced mounting tape didn't hold.... so I used a couple of decorative craft coins from Hobby Lobby (they have a hole in the center) as washers on the outside of the cabinet door. A couple of short bolts thru the coins & pre-drilled holes then holder will secure it out of the way. Just open the cabinet door for use. The exterior of the door adds to the decor.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
It's Easy to take 'Liberty' for granted, When you have never had it taken from You!
wuffwuff is offline   Reply With Quote